GN on it's way from Brooklyn to the Orlando World Street Nationals

So Fiscus got his car repaired from the timing chain problem and ran 8.80???? I hope it's true and he was able to drive the car back in the trailer. I'd love to see him make the field but I really hope he didn't break anything.

So what about the wrecks? Car's getting loose or what was the cause?

Radial racing can look like a demo derby. I still don't have mine fixed from my wreck. I swear, if guys can't learn when to lift and give up I'll have to find another class to race. I can't stand fixing my car because somebody else makes a mistake.

I was only a spectator today and watched the gn run in the upper 9's in the second round and post the run in the 8,80's in the third round. I don't know if the car is hurt?? and i don't think it made the field for tomorrow.

As far as the wrecks are concerned you guessed right. Some people refuse to lift at all costs. The track looked like it was hooking well, the air was great & plenty of cars put down nice numbers.

Sucks Mike didnt make the field,I wish we would have had more time to test that car before he went.
I think we could have had an 8.40 pass with no bugs

That was a mustang that spun around. It was amzing to watch & the driver was very lucky. It hit the rail lightly & did not look like it recieved major damage. The wagon hit so hard it shook the ground.

KLHAMMETT said:
Sucks Mike didnt make the field,I wish we would have had more time to test that car before he went.
I think we could have had an 8.40 pass with no bugs

I agree with Otto, Mike's car if they had more time could have made the field.
The car should go 8.3s with that turbo. Too many issues and not enough time = a short weekend of racing. I want to congratulate Dave's crew for trying really hard to make the show. To Michael and Al, you can leave knowing you did your best and you will have a runner next time out!

EightSecV6 said:
Well it sucks they didnt make the field. As far as being outclassed, its only gonna get worse!

I have to agree. Cal was trying to get the v-6s the N20 weight break.
The N20 guys cried like babys and crushed their chances.
With that Michaels car should be able to go rounds, but at the same weight with 400 less horse power, I don't think so!
I don't think Dave's car can get much lighter.

Both crews & cars need to be commended for working VERY hard to get into the show. That was a tough field of cars & the front runners where flying. It was great seeing the Buicks trying to mix it up but i just don't see a single turbo v-6 ever being competative against the field. I do think a twin turbo Stage II might be able to do it. I think it would be able to moderate the power output easier for stronger 330' times & then ramp in more hp for the top end charge.

Gotta disagree.. I think a single car could do it. Ritchie Kibler ran some times that would have at least gotten him in the show with his car. Even when the car had stock suspension, it was putting down numbers that would have made the show.

The problem is that you have to have a different mentality for drag radial racing, especially in the way the suspension is set up and how the overall combination works together. There are lots of variables to take into account when trying to get a drag radial car down the track and if you set the cars up like they have slicks on them, it's going to be a long day.

Ritchie had some "interesting" stuff done to his car when he was running stock suspension, stuff that's not in my place to reveal and some stuff I'd probably have never thought of. He and I have spent a lot of time talking about backwards ass stuff that's not supposed to work but does.

I do think a single turbo v-6 car can qualify but i don't think it would stand a chance at the sub 7.70's the front runners put down round after round. Certainly a well thought out chassis plan is part of it but a broad, stageable power band also helps. The twin turbo small block fords seem to be using that & it's working! I am certainly no expert here but just throwing out some ideas.

Uh huh.. Qualify - yes, Win - No

Unless a lot of cars break :)

Hats off to both teams. This race is the BIG SHOW and is a major deal just to qualify. The 6 cylinders with one power adder should be allowed to run at 3200#. They are now outgunned by 400+ inch motors with 101-106mm turbos and it's time for a weight break for the small motors but at the same time it is true outlaw style racing so if you can't bring enough you go home early.

If they don't want to give a weight break for the V-6 they should allow a second turbo. The playing field has to be evend somehow???

Just got back. The weight break I was hoping to get was the same 400# break they give V-6's in 10.5.

The problem is that you have to have a different mentality for drag radial racing, especially in the way the suspension is set up and how the overall combination works together. There are lots of variables to take into account when trying to get a drag radial car down the track and if you set the cars up like they have slicks on them, it's going to be a long day.

When this class was limited to BFG's it was more of a suspension class then it is now. I qualified 13 a couple years ago. Now that the Mickey's are allowed, traction isn't as much of an issue. I feel pretty confident in saying we have a good handle on the suspension. On a decent track, my car 60's as well on a DR as it does a slick. Dave did a 1.31 with his MT's and we aren't using half the "tricks" we use on Dusty's car.

FWIW: I had 3 other customers run personal bests. In 10.5, Frank Meshaw (89 Trans Am) went 7.36@202 with 18 psi of boost. In Pro, Glen Adams set the new record for a short deck Ford with his 6.96@206 and Mike Tokarz ran some low 7's having to rebuild his transmission after every pass.

Second turbo is allowed with a 100# penalty which would put a V6 car at 3500#. Even if they allowed a single V6 to run at 3200 and a 6 cylinder with twins to run at 3300 I still don't see them going 7.70's on radials.

What do you guys think it would take to make the GN's competitive in DR. I'm starting to think these cars may do better in drifting competition than real world drag racing.

UNDER-PRESSURE said:
What do you guys think it would take to make the GN's competitive in DR. I'm starting to think these cars may do better in drifting competition than real world drag racing.

Short of a weight break, not much. It's a bunch of crap that they wont give the V6 a weight break but we did ourselves in by winning so much when turbos were cutting edge, now they won't forget.

Buicks had Indy car technology back in the day which was ahead of it's time. 13* heads flowing 360cfm with turbo's made and still make big power. Now that same tech has been applied to bigger motors. You can only cram so much air in 6 intake ports. Now take a cylinder head better than the Stage 2 like you can buy for V8's that flow 400cfm and look at the air you can pack in. Other than a drastic weight break a 6 cylinder will have a hard time making the field. What's the incentive to change the rules???? NONE...there were 83 cars trying to qualify for 32 spots in DR.