You can type here any text you want

GN1 headers vs TA Headers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbojoe1

GN1 vs. TA Performance
Anyone have an opinion on HP gains or any opinions between GN1 SS headers and the TA Performance SS ones. They are two different designs. The TA's feed the drivers side gasses past the passenger side primarys, while the GN1's seem to mimic the famous ATR headers by keeping the two sides separate until just below the turbo. I would think the GN1's hold the advantage, but many people speak highly of the TA's. Maybe not enough GN1's around to make an educated decision?

Thanks Joe

I see no HP advantage with any header design with the stock 3 bolt turbine housing. The TA headers work with most down pipes designed for stock headers, the GN1, ATR, and Kenne Bell headers require a different DP. If you are looking at headers for a HP gain, you will see nothing. If you are tired of your stockers cracking, then go aftermarket.

Aside from that, do you know if the primary's are the same size as stock for either one? I like the design of GN1s, how both banks meet right at the turbo flange. I'm just curious as I don't run a big turbo and don't want to loose quick spool time with over sized pipes.

Thanks Joe

I see no HP advantage with any header design with the stock 3 bolt turbine housing.

Just after the TA headers were first introduced, I replace a couple sets of ATR headers on low 10 sec GN's.

The first GN picked up .5ths, and one other almost the same. I have had other reports of customers saying their car spools faster, and did run faster also.

For street cars and slightly modified GN's, there may only be a small difference over stock and others, but as RPM and HP increases, the gains get bigger.

I have a close friend that has built high $$$$ headers for performance and exotic cars for over 20 years and he has provided lots of good input for the TA design. If you actually examine the TA headers closely, you will find many "tweaks" in design and production that was not copied by the off-shore clones.

My point is much work and testing was put into in developing the TA design to make it the best turbo Buick production header in performance and quality.

I do understand that you are entitled to your opinion, but my information is based upon actual data. :)

So I can go 8.5's with a set of TA's over my ATR's?
I saw no gain going from stock to TA knock offs to ATR's on my old 9 sec 109 set up. I can't see .5 in spool up alone, as the 60's were the same, in the 1.4's with a 0 pump Vigilante which is too tight to most people, to a 18 blade PTC. The PTC did 60' with slightly less boost. I didn't really push the 60's. I run drag radials, and at the time was dealing with less than favorable track prep trying not to get kicked out with no cage. Not a problem now.
Just my findings.

Aside from that, do you know if the primary's are the same size as stock for either one? I like the design of GN1s, how both banks meet right at the turbo flange. I'm just curious as I don't run a big turbo and don't want to loose quick spool time with over sized pipes.

Thanks Joe
The primaries are the same size.

1st pic is the GN1 design

image-2757773774.png

The 2nd pic is the TA design

image-4141672467.png

You can clearly see the difference in design.
Comments? Opinions?

Thanks Joe

Over the years the KB and ATR designs have always been a pita being so close to the pass side control arm and leaking at that joint near there. No way I would even consider them

Joe,
I did not use the stock replacements from TA, I use these: http://www.taperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TA_V2010CH-SS
My issue with the GN1 headers which looked awesome was that the turbo flange had to be drilled out to mate up with an actual turbo which wound up being a disaster.
I don't remember how the rest of it fit but the turbo flange was a PITA. No such problems with the TA. Getting the cross over to mate up perfect wasn't easy but it was not impossible either.
No cutting, pinching or bending needed. I also have H&R motor mounts, no clearance issues anywhere.
B

bob86gn said:
Joe,
I did not use the stock replacements from TA, I use these: http://www.taperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TA_V2010CH-SS
My issue with the GN1 headers which looked awesome was that the turbo flange had to be drilled out to mate up with an actual turbo which wound up being a disaster.
I don't remember how the rest of it fit but the turbo flange was a PITA. No such problems with the TA. Getting the cross over to mate up perfect wasn't easy but it was not impossible either.
No cutting, pinching or bending needed. I also have H&R motor mounts, no clearance issues anywhere.
B

Thanks man you beat me to the punch with the mm's. Those headers are beefy. A little steep but I like the revised version. The KB, GN1s look killer tho, and I like the banks being separate until the flange, just can't see the benefit of the TAs over them in that design of flow and heat.

Thanks Joe

My experience with the GN1 was on stock motor mounts.
The turbo flange needed 2 of the 3 redrilled/enlarged.
Trying to elongate the holes was difficult, they were not off by a little.

Any other important to know information or experience with this please and thanks.

Thanks Joe

Best headers for the money IMO are the SE's that TR custom parts sells. They are similar to TA's and are made in the USA.

DSC00318.JPG

hello people; Since comparing is up in this post why not throw in the GSCA headers in the comparison.
IBBY

jlat said:
hello people; Since comparing is up in this post why not throw in the GSCA headers in the comparison.
IBBY

The more the better, side by side comparisons are very helpful, opinions aside, real world experience are most helpful for the products in question. Wether it be from the Fast guys or the Slow guys, the more accumulated information the better the conclusion.

Thanks Joe

Back