You can type here any text you want

GN1 headers vs TA Headers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
ttypewhite said:
In the OP original post, my answer would be zero difference in your current setup. I have the TA SS headers and like them a lot. The only pain in the ass that I encountered with these headers are your starter selections. When I had my ATR's on the car, I ran it with a Hi Torque Lt1 starter. I got the TA headers and tried to use my LT1 starter and it would not line up. The pipe got in the way.

So I was forced in using the Crappy Turbobuick starter which crapped out on me twice.

Then bought a Hi Torque Starter from Dan at DLS to remedy this problem. So be ready to drop for a good starter out the gate if you go with the TA header.

Thanks for the details and such. I gotta say, I'm still on the fence about it. I will say IMO the stockers look like shit. Lol

Thanks Joe

hello; Well that blows about the starter motor. Is that LT1 like the one NCturbos is selling? I recently bought one with thoughts of using it with my TA's.
Is that DLS SM weight saving light like the LT1? How much was it?
IBBY

Its approx half the size of the Turbobuick starter. Its approx $200 if my memory serves me right. But don't quote me on that.

Just to clarify, I thinks it's a typo, you mentioned the SE/TA headers are better "for" cars in the 550rwhp+ range?

This is what I'm try to get at.
What are your thoughts

Thanks Joe

TA offers two styles that I like. The stock replacements, which are the closest to your factory header or the style with the long vertical merge pipe. I use the stockers now but the keep cracking in various spots. One weak spot after another. I would suggest the stock replacements for a stockish car. There is no need to add volume to the exhaust pre-turbo in a close to stock application. All that will do is slow down the velocity towards the turbo since it will have extra space and reduce the amount of heat inside which can also effect spool. I removed a set of ATR/KB style from a stockish Alky car last summer. Woke that car up! I put a set of TA stock replacements on a more modded car with a 72mm bb Turbonetics. Spools fast! No cracking or leaks. Fitment was good, no drilling, very minor mods. The 550rwhp car has stock GM headers but keeps cracking them. Time to put on Marks SE style or the TA race versions. If thats your target, how long until you reach the 550 hp build would determine which I'd buy.

The LT4 starter is shaped differently than the LT1 style. This fits fine, works good and is inexpensive. http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-10547...-jeep-mini-starter-long-short-mt-sdr0059.aspx

I have tried that starter too. Great price, but weak housing. The aluminum nose let go and the gear and shaft ended up on the ground. Fortunately it happened in my own garage. The turbobuick starter is very similar in size and construction with the same issues. Here is a pic of the same starter I have that I found on another motor DLS built. It's a multi indexed starter.
jpg_zpsd87ebef9.jpg

jpg_zpse9676b40.jpg

The LT4 starter is the good one, the LT1 starter is the one that breaks. The first pic of the starter that didn't clear was an LT4 starter.

I have run the TA headers since they came out about 5 years ago. Very happy with them. Sealed up tighter than Prasad's (wikedV6's) sphincter.

I would not even consider any of the GN1 stuff from China. I have seen a few of the various China parts.... yuck!

I would consider Mark's parts though. They look good in the pic and if Rick endorses them then you know they are good!

I have the non stock style ta headers and a lt4 starter...its close the the headers but i run a starter heat blanket and the pipes are coated. No issues yet with 3-4 k miles and I drove the car from mn to ky and back last year. Its the auto zone lifetime. I do like the smaller starter shown but went with the az one since i had a unpassable deal there.

hello people; So which SM is the one NCturbos sells? He says it came on the vette.
thanks
IBBY

I have tried that starter too. Great price, but weak housing. The aluminum nose let go and the gear and shaft ended up on the ground. Fortunately it happened in my own garage. The turbobuick starter is very similar in size and construction with the same issues. Here is a pic of the same starter I have that I found on another motor DLS built. It's a multi indexed starter.
jpg_zpsd87ebef9.jpg

jpg_zpse9676b40.jpg
So far I've had no issues with that starter. Time will tell I guess.

Back