Got a carb turbo torn apart and

do the fbody radiator and get an electric fan sometime. You can pick up stock TR fan for as low as 50 bucks shipped. You also might wanna track down a different downpipe, it looks pretty banged up.

As far as wires go, depends what you want to spend. In order of cheapest to more expensive- autolites, acdelco, msd, taylor

If you are on a budget do the autolites. They should be 8mm. They are nicer that those crappy in house brands an usually the same price. acdelco may have a better warranty and better construction but if you gonna buy those you just as well sprng for msd's. Its all in what you want to spend

The idea is to get this moving and drivable, and then work on fabbing up a 2.5" down pipe. That picture doesn't show the worst of it. It looks like someone went at it with a sledge hammer.

The idea is to get this moving and drivable, and then work on fabbing up a 2.5" down pipe. That picture doesn't show the worst of it. It looks like someone went at it with a sledge hammer.

There's a thread on here that shows a down pipe one of our members fabbed up for one of his customers. Jesse will probibly post it before I find it again.:biggrin: Had all of the part numbers and where he got them. Sorry to say he never offered them for sale.:mad:

Just about ready to run. Need to get the lower rad hose, figgure out why it isnt getting fuel, fill it up with water, and hook up some more vacuume/plug some stuff I dont need. BTW, I was looking at the vacumme diagram, and what is the PEVR valve for? I think its the little bulb on the top near the front of the intake manifold right?

EDIT-I got the firing order for a NA motor I jsut dont know if its the same. I am assuming it is the same right?

I think it basically just acts as a vac block. I think you can get them new from the aftermarket. My uncle got one for his 77 cutlass a few years back.

pevr stands for power enrichment vacume regulator. it operates the power valve in the carburator. when u build boost it opens the valve to supply more fuel. they are not available new anymore as far as i know.

DUH:rolleyes: I knew that. At least someone is on top of it around here. I can't believe I didn't remember that. I broke that on my old 79 when I was doing vac lines and by the grace of the car gods I actually found one the same year of car in a local junkyard.

Well thats a problem solved. Will definatlly need to get that hooked up.

Good news, ITS ALIVE! Well, after some problems arose.

What is the correct fuel pump for this thing? It must be bad or something so I pulled it off and went to the parts store. None of the 3 stores in town have a NA 3.8 fuel pump. According to one of the stores theres a difference between the 2 and I need a turbo specific pump. Is this right?

According to my guage I have low oil pressure :mad: :mad: :mad: Theres plenty of oil but at idle the (brand new) guage only shows like 3 lbs. When it gets to about 2000 RPM it gets to 10 but quickly drops down to 2 lbs or so. I pulled the pressure releif valve off and the plunger didnt come out. Tried to get it out with a magnet but it didnt come out. Pulled the oil pump cover off and the plunger was kinda stuck in there. Got it out and it looked fine. Put it back on with the 70 PSI spring instead of the 60. Same deal. Its not like theres no oil flow though. I dissconected turbo oil supply line and it poured out. Just cant understand why theres so low pressure. BTW, its a brand new melling high volume pump kit.

I guess its good that this thing runs though. Theres some hope..

Post a pic of the pump so I can get a better idea of which one it is and how many lines it has. There shouldn't be to much of a diff between them. It looks like you have just 2 lines going into it but I can't see that well from the pics.

Its got 1 intlet, 1 vapor/return line, and the line going up to the carb. Ill get a pic tomorrow.

That sounds like the regular pump. See if they have a paper catalog that has pics in it so you can do an actual match. zIt sounds like the regular NA pump.

Yeah Ill have to make the 30 minute drive to the closest store that has a NA one. Ohh the joys in owning something nobody has :D :D Get the new pump in and figure out the stupid low oil pressure and it should be off the trailer soon.

Funny thing is, I have already done Earls timing cover mods. I was thinking that the guage might be bad or something.

Then you might want to see if you can find another filter adaptor. Sounds like you may have a burr in it where the bypass valve goes.

Unfortunatly its not the guage. I hooked up a cheepo one I used to check the oil pressure on the 455 and it still showed 2 psi at idle!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I ruled out the pressure relief valve when I pulled the pump cover off so that shouldnt be the problem. Really makes me mad that on a fresh rebuild I have low oil pressure. Gettin sick of this project fighting me all at every turn. Probably have to pull the motor out again and rip it apart to see it theres something wrong.

There are only 2 or 3 things I can think of that might do this. Pick up tube not sealling well. Front cam bearing not in the correct location. Or something wrong in the cover. Sorry to hear of the problems for sure. Good luck.