Handguns?

Well 2 of my favorites are the Makarov for the size and the price. 9x18 isn't a round to sneeze at either even though some people think it's a little under powered.

The other is an Astra A-75 compact in 45. A little hard to come by now but a great weapon and I've never had an issue with anything I feed it.:biggrin:

Well 2 of my favorites are the Makarov for the size and the price. 9x18 isn't a round to sneeze at either even though some people think it's a little under powered.

The other is an Astra A-75 compact in 45. A little hard to come by now but a great weapon and I've never had an issue with anything I feed it.:biggrin:

You know, I've consideed those from time to time. But I've just never known enough about em to commit to one. there's the obvious question that you may be able to tell the pro's and con's of; Czech, Bugarian, or Polish? Aside from reading the technical specs, I've no idea what their strengths and weaknesses or comparitive characteristics to other common caliber weapons are. Also, since I've never seen other than round nose ammo available, I don't think I'd consider one for more than a backup. Unless I've been mising something there.

Is the 9x19 round hard to find or expensive?

You know, I've consideed those from time to time. But I've just never known enough about em to commit to one. there's the obvious question that you may be able to tell the pro's and con's of; Czech, Bugarian, or Polish? Aside from reading the technical specs, I've no idea what their strengths and weaknesses or comparitive characteristics to other common caliber weapons are. Also, since I've never seen other than round nose ammo available, I don't think I'd consider one for more than a backup. Unless I've been mising something there.

Mines one of the early Russian models and have never had an issue with it. I did add some soft grips to it and modified the trigger for a cleaner shot. I haven't used one of the others but from what I've heard they are pretty much the same. As far as different bullets you can get cases and reload your own. Then you have some decent choices on the bullets you use with it.:cool:

I also have an FEG P9RK that has been just as reliable and was made in Hungary so that should tell you something about the quality of Hungarian weapons.:biggrin:

Is the 9x19 round hard to find or expensive?

9x19 is also called 9 Para or 9mm luger and is very common. If you look around it can be found fairly cheaply.:biggrin:

Someone earlier in the thread was mentioning he was looking for a 380. The nicest one I have noticed is the S&W bodyguard 380, as another person mentioned.

My boss picked one up about a month ago, and i am a bit of a gun guy, he showed it to me, and i loved it. Did some research, and i guess it is a coinsidence that i am probably going down to the gun store tomorrow to put it on layaway.

S&W model 642 for a light weight small gun, with +p self defense loads.. Nice gun. And a Walther P99 .40 cal for a little more capacity if I'm going down into the city...

Mines one of the early Russian models and have never had an issue with it. I did add some soft grips to it and modified the trigger for a cleaner shot. I haven't used one of the others but from what I've heard they are pretty much the same. As far as different bullets you can get cases and reload your own. Then you have some decent choices on the bullets you use with it.:cool:

Russian, nice!;) I was just looking at the 9x18 S&B brass/boxer and @ $269/case it's not unreasonably priced above the Brown and Silver Bear.:cool::cool: They showed Silver Bear in a JHP too!

Shane, didn't go gun shopping today. He didn't have the Bodyguard 380 in stock today, to make a comparison. What exactly about it are you more pleased with vs. the LCP? Remember, this is for the wife, and if it's the LCP's trigger break, well, I might get a new gun too then when she changes her mind again!;) I like a stronger pull and stiffer break. Tiny guns annoy me a bit, but I'm kinda liking the idea of getting a 'noisy cricket'. Even if I get it for her first;):D

Shane, didn't go gun shopping today. He didn't have the Bodyguard 380 in stock today, to make a comparison. What exactly about it are you more pleased with vs. the LCP? Remember, this is for the wife, and if it's the LCP's trigger break, well, I might get a new gun too then when she changes her mind again!;) I like a stronger pull and stiffer break. Tiny guns annoy me a bit, but I'm kinda liking the idea of getting a 'noisy cricket'. Even if I get it for her first;):D

No the triggers pulls are a lot alike. Pretty stiff... However the Smith has the built in laser and a external safety. The Smith has been rated higher buy all major tests I have seen. I am partial to Smith I must admit, but I really do like the feel of the gun better in my hand honestly...

The external safety gives me a better feeling about a chambered round being in my pocket;)

I have a concealed carry for Ga. and it is good in about 24 other states. I own a Glock 19, kel-tec .380, rugar p85, tarus judge, and a mossberg 500. My glcok is with me most of the time.

No permit here in Cali but before all the marital drama I had a few nice pistols. My favorite was the DE .50AE that my father gave to me on my 21st birthday. Its kinda cumbersome but really fun to shoot. Second to that is the Detonics .45 combat master ....really nice compact pistol with a lot of ummmph.

No permit here in Cali but before all the marital drama I had a few nice pistols. My favorite was the DE .50AE that my father gave to me on my 21st birthday. Its kinda cumbersome but really fun to shoot. Second to that is the Detonics .45 combat master ....really nice compact pistol with a lot of ummmph.

wow, id love to have a Deagle .50. those are pretty hard to come by out here. Apparently here in washington, some of our gun laws are a little more relaxed than they would be in other states. knew a guy who had an automatic AR-15 that somehow he got to keep, it might have been older than 1986 though.

Glock model 22 (Police Edition)

Anyone interested in a Glock model 22. This gun is the police version with 3x 15 round magazines. I bought the gun new and with Tricon sites (Night Sites). This model of the Glock can be converted to a 9mm or 357 sig. I bought the gun a little over a year ago and have only shot the max of 350 rounds. I keep the gun very clean and stored away. If interested I will sell the gun via Dealer to dealer and with offical identification and bill of sale. Plus with dealer to dealer the felony check. If you are from Arizona then I could make arrangements and we could meet some time. I am asking $675.00 for it since that is what I paid. Hit me up if you are interested. Also proof of CCW/Personal pertection required!

Just shot an XD40 last week , it points nice & I shot it well . :biggrin: I hunt with handgun only , 358jdj (444 marlin case necked down to 35 caliber )in 14" contender with 2.5-8x leupold in one holster for long range, & 454 casull Super Redhawk with open sights for everything else. I carry a Glock model 22 or a Ruger SP101 357.

As with what some of these guys said I would go out and shoot several different types of guns. I have never fired a revolver and always wanted to but watching others fire them at the ranges seems like some might be a bit on the loud side if you had to use it in self defense.

Here is a link to which states honor other states permits.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

Here is a link to different types of ammo that looks like someone reviewed and put into a chart.

Handgun Cartridge Power Chart - Condensed Version

I have personally shot a Beretta M9, several Glocks, a Kimber 1911, a Kel Tec .380 (not sure model), Taurus .40 (not sure model), XD 9mm, and I own a Springfield 1911 I shoot all the time. I liked the Kimber a little better due to the sights being nicer than mine but the second I fired a 1911 I knew that I wanted one more than the others. The XD 9mm was also a very very nice gun.

Glocks fired nice but feel weird in my hand like I have to hold my wrist at a weird angle to fire accurately. I have held many other kinds of guns and loved the reputation and looks of H&K but when I held one I knew it wouldn't work even by not firing it.

Sig Sauer, FNH, and a few others make guns I would love to fire because of how natural they feel in my hand. The Walther PK380 also feels super nice and with a 350-400 price tag isn't bad either just a little bulky for a .380.