You can type here any text you want

How do these Cam Bearings look?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Chrisk

TurboTransAm.com
Pulled my cam out. Do the bearings look ok?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363624117.739064.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363624142.039002.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363624184.890260.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363624215.739540.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363624238.303166.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363624255.609532.jpg

Thanks,
Chris

The only way to know for sure is to stick a bore gauge in there and check the clearances.

I notice your front cam bearing is installed "correctly". If you change them out re-orient the bearing to inject the oil at 5:00 when viewed from the front.

Is that a flat spot? When you look at it real close does it look like a blunt impact caused it?

Is the cam making contact with the rod bolt? BTW, are you running a double roller timing chain? If so why do you have the stock tensioner on there?

Neal

Is the cam making contact with the rod bolt? BTW, are you running a double roller timing chain? If so why do you have the stock tensioner on there?

Neal

I think your right. I noticed one rod bolt on #2 ground down a little. I had this motor built few years ago. I don't know about the tensioner.
Since its a double roller what is supposed to be used?

Thanks,
Chris

A tensioner should not be used with a double roller chain. The tensioner should be used with the OEM style chain.

If you want to run a tensioner, TA Performance has a stout timing kit that uses a tensioner. It's not a bad idea to run the tensioner although many don't have been ok this way. You might want to do some searches and read about this.

Paul Lohr

Some indications that dirt is being introduced to the oiling system........Could be done by the material knocked off that lobe. What does the oil filter look like?

Back