how long did your aftermarket cam last?

A

atl gn

My stock cam just wiped out, so I am rebuilding my motor. I already bought my 206/206 from precision. I have heard all of these horror stories about aftermarket hydraulic cams. My engine builder told me that stock cams are made out of a better metal than aftermarket cams, and that I would be lucky to see 30K miles out of an aftermarket one. This has me worried, and I am considering sending it back to precision and saying F it and getting a roller. I guess it is worth it if it doesn't come apart like hydraulic ones.

So how long has yours lasted?
BTW my stock one lasted 120K

maybe consider getting it dry film coated . That may help the longevity of the cam .:)

Mine lasted about 20 miles. It wasn't broke in properly. Thats what matters, the break in. If done right, it will last, but if not, it won't last. We just took apart my buddys motor yesterday, and his flat tappet looked OK. I would go with a roller if its in your budget. I did, and its great peace of mind. I know Cottons has the whole kit for about $1000. HTH

Five days.
It wiped #3 intake lobe.
The lobe appears to be centered in the lifter bore[no lifter spin].
Now I've gotta figure out if the lifter bore is off center or whether the cam lobe is cast out of position.
It was Comp 212,hydraulic,flat tappet.
Worked beautifully until it wiped the lobe.

The car was sold. But it had over 60,000 miles on a 208-214 ? or some lift like that. (it was a friends's car). He said the secret was to run a spring weaker than the recommended spring rates, for about 4 to 5,000 miles (keeping the rpm's below 4500-5000) and then put the recommended springs in. He said it was worth the extra hassle.

As far as the stock springs...they should go the life of the engine if they aren't replaced. (They get so weak they won't wipe a lobe). At 20lbs. of boost, with the stock cam, would you lose even ten hp with old springs? :)

Yeah Radius Kid, I wiped my #3 lobe too. A roller is not really in my budget, but considering why I'm in the position I am right now(spending thousands rebuilding a motor because of a wiped cam) I guess it makes sense. Thats what credit cards are for right:D

camshaft life

Due to a poor machine shop I broke a camshaft in half.. when the machine shop installed the cam bearings I think he must have been a Chevy guy and installed them with the oil holes pointing down.. The two center cam bearings spun out of the block and the cam bound up and snap a two piece camshaft...If you are going to have someone do machine work MAKE SURE this shop knows Buicks.. I had Cal Hartline do mine this time...He sure knows Buicks... And stands behind what he does!!

most every non roller cam out is ground off the same casting blanks ...

its what the company does to harded the surface after grinding and/or how much angle they cut in it to rotate the lifters.

to top that if our blocks had the lifter bores if the right location over each lobe they would all last.

cam

After a well done rebuild and correct break in, i lost my GSCA 206/206 #3 lobe @ 4700 miles. With such a bad taste, I'm just starting to get into the rebuild mode with a roller cam. I'ts called, "piece of mind", I hope. Good luck to all and pray for the Columbia family....Carter

Do a search about this, there was talk awhile back about getting the cam coated (Lee Thompson) comes to mind :D I talked to him and sent my cam off to calico coatings and so far have no problems. HTH Jr.

Yeah junior, my motor is out there in Augusta by you. Benny is doing my motor, and he said to either send the cam to calico or get a roller. How many miles ya got on the coated cam?

Originally posted by atl gn
Yeah junior, my motor is out there in Augusta by you. Benny is doing my motor, and he said to either send the cam to calico or get a roller. How many miles ya got on the coated cam?
you pick a fine fellow to build your motor, as far as the cam it is a 212/212 and have had no problems with it but then again I have approx 2500 miles on her, you can go ahead and ask Mike that the way I drive it should last along, long time, the only problem I fell I have now is a little to much oil psi if that is really a problem. :D, P.S. Benny is the some guy that put my motor together. HTH Jr.

Comp Cams 206/206 in my GN has just over 5K, and thats a hard 5K miles.:D If it lasts 10K miles, Ill be happy.

I think after building this motor, I won't feel like doing it again for a while(if I can keep Mr. Detonation away;) ) So I guess I'm going to swallow it and get a roller. Talked to Patrick at PTE today and he said their smallest roller was a 210/210. Think that'll be too big for a TE44?

170k on the stock cam, still going strong. about 4k on the billet roller, no problems yet.

2K on a Postons cam and it rode home on a flatbed, put the stock cam back in with new lifters and fine with another 10K on it. Broke both in the same and wiped the Postons cam. Never did send it back to the grinder to have them look at it so I could get a refund (working too much overtime, not worth the money to ship it at the time) but still have it at a momento in the garage with all my headgaskets (oops)