Im Going to paint!!!!

Easiest way to get there is go to McMinnville and then take the road to Tullahoma. About 2-3 miles before you get there a road cuts off the the right and a postage stamp sized sign is on the corner. You'll miss it the first time, I did.

Hes in Mcminnville Tn Mt Leo custom paint and body.. He does all the paint for vintage vetts here in the Boro.. I work at Murfreesboro Pawn and Gun on SE Broad st TN is OK ive lived in ar, ca, co, nv,wa,ky,la,and I like TN better than all of those.. That being said Im wating till I can move to the beach in Port St Joe FL:wink:

Hey Man,
Nice car. I can't wait to see some pics. I just bought a '87 GN back in January and I'm in the process of fixing it up. It's in the paint shop now and I'm hoping to get it back this sometime this week. I got all new interior to install next so it should be finished in a couple of weeks. I can't wait. I've hardly got to drive it since I bought it.

By the way, I live in Panama City about 25 min from Port St. Joe... I used to own a business there. Why would you want to live there? :confused: I got out as fast as I could...LOL But seriously, if you ever move down here me and a friend of mine ("Reaper" known on the forums) both have '87 GN's. We'll have to get together.

Mine is in the paint shop now. Having it stripped down to the metal. Found acid rain marks all over the roof. Had GNX vents cut in. Painting back with DuPont enamel. Good luck!

Attachments

• DSCN4409.jpg
    DSCN4409.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,029
New Pics, Its getting there!!!

Here are some more pics of the car at the paint shop. Monty ,the body shop owner, looked it over and said its a great car. No rust , no crashes, all oriaonal paint, Never been apart body wise.. Its nice to know.. Ive seen posts where there are whole sides cut out to repair rust in these cars and that scares me a lot... anyhoo here are some pics...

Attachments

• IMG_0082 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0082 (Medium).JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 980
  • IMG_0080 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0080 (Medium).JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 977
  • IMG_0078 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0078 (Medium).JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 984
  • IMG_0056 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0056 (Medium).JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 983
  • IMG_0060 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0060 (Medium).JPG
    45 KB · Views: 969
I love FL.. I want to drive my gn with my girlfriend don 98 from panama to psj. I think that would be fun to hunt mustangs down there...

More Pics

Attachments

• IMG_0062 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0062 (Medium).JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 970
  • IMG_0064 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0064 (Medium).JPG
    54 KB · Views: 970
  • IMG_0067 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0067 (Medium).JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 959
  • IMG_0068 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0068 (Medium).JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 959
  • IMG_0072 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0072 (Medium).JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 962
Here are some more pics of the car at the paint shop. Monty ,the body shop owner, looked it over and said its a great car. No rust , no crashes, all oriaonal paint, Never been apart body wise.. Its nice to know.. Ive seen posts where there are whole sides cut out to repair rust in these cars and that scares me a lot... anyhoo here are some pics...

Thanks for the PICS - have any tips for the trim and parts removal for the stuff pictured in this post? Getting ready to do the same to mine.

EDIT >>> The quote did not copy the pics I am asking about - they were the one's in post #25 - the rear bumper area, trim between rear window and trunk lid, door handles/locks, front bumper/panels too
Thanks

Thanks for the PICS - have any tips for the trim and parts removal for the stuff pictured in this post? Getting ready to do the same to mine.

EDIT >>> The quote did not copy the pics I am asking about - they were the one's in post #25 - the rear bumper area, trim between rear window and trunk lid, door handles/locks, front bumper/panels too
Thanks

I see my spelling isnt looking to good in this post... Sorry about that...
Now I didnt take anything off the car at all. Monty did all of that and he said it was straight forward. Can you post some pics of your car? Id love to see them... Monty is going to fiberglass in the tray where the body fillers in the rear come together. It will be smooth and nice, one piece. no overlaping line that is wavey and ugly.. Also he is shaving the door guards and impact strip on the bumpers. Lil touch of custom work...

I have to down size the pics I have on this computer - not that there is much to see right now. The only stuff I have removed is the T-Top stuff and the seals. Found some rust but was able to weld in a patch - worked well except the MIG welder started spitting and popping. I flipped up my helmet and saw a bunch of lead flowing into the weld area - the car is all factory they used lead in the windshield frame T-Top area!

Oh yeah, forget about the spellin' Nazis - I, for one, am not offering anything I post as a final draft for publishing and it sure ain't meant to be no scholarly journal entry :)

I have to down size the pics I have on this computer - not that there is much to see right now. The only stuff I have removed is the T-Top stuff and the seals. Found some rust but was able to weld in a patch - worked well except the MIG welder started spitting and popping. I flipped up my helmet and saw a bunch of lead flowing into the weld area - the car is all factory they used lead in the windshield frame T-Top area!

Oh yeah, forget about the spellin' Nazis - I, for one, am not offering anything I post as a final draft for publishing and it sure ain't meant to be no scholarly journal entry :)

The factory used lead in the side of the car where the bubbles bulge out at the qtr windows by the doors... Found that out from monty..

The factory used lead in the side of the car where the bubbles bulge out at the qtr windows by the doors... Found that out from monty..

The entire roof is a lead joint. That includes A,B and C pillars. They don't use lead anymore cause it will kill you:eek: Some body guys redo that entire section and get rid of the lead.

Its comming along!!!

New pics... The bumpers are going to be nice. He said it would be striped and in primer in a few days..

Attachments

• SNC00009.1 (Small).jpg
    SNC00009.1 (Small).jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 781
  • SNC00010.1 (Small).jpg
    SNC00010.1 (Small).jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 790
  • SNC00012.1 (Small).jpg
    SNC00012.1 (Small).jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 780
  • SNC00015.1 (Small).jpg
    SNC00015.1 (Small).jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 786
  • SNC00021.1 (Small).jpg
    SNC00021.1 (Small).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 790
few more pics

Attachments

• SNC00024 (Small).jpg
    SNC00024 (Small).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 680
  • SNC00028 (Small).jpg
    SNC00028 (Small).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 678
  • SNC00033 (Small).jpg
    SNC00033 (Small).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 688
At first I was like: WTH happened to your bumper! Then I remembered the effect you are going after - I'm sure you will post some after PICS.

I downsized some PICs - I think a little too much - the first is Not Safe for work, children, or adults! But hey man - you asked to see my car :) And while I was working with the trunk lid - a couple of PICs that I hope might help some people doing what we are doing.

Attachments

• Paint and Body 035.JPG
    Paint and Body 035.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 645
  • GN trunk lid 012.JPG
    GN trunk lid 012.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 646
  • GN trunk lid 021.JPG
    GN trunk lid 021.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 654
in primer

They sprayed mine last weekend but I don't have pictures nor have I seen it yet! I am getting excited. I like the smooth bumpers but ended up putting the bumper molding back on mine. Ready to get yours back?

Attachments

• fullprimer.JPG
    fullprimer.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 628
3-25-09 pics

New pics from 3-25 and ill be taking some tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0001 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0001 (Medium).JPG
    59 KB · Views: 599
  • IMG_0003 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0003 (Medium).JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 596
  • IMG_0004 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0004 (Medium).JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_0005 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0005 (Medium).JPG