Innovative WB Update

bruce

Rest In Peace
Pre Nats, and while there, I plugged my Innovative WB into a bunch of different cars. Most were on race gas and a couple were really rich, ie into the high 9s AFR wise.

It never missed a beat.

I was using a sampling tube that was 1.5" in diameter and had welded a set of needle nose vice grips onto the tube. To be versatile the test pipe's only 10" long with the sensor midlenght. At idle there is some dilution, but at anything over 1K RPM it seems fine, and this is with it clipped on at the tail pipe.

One car with a low battery wouldn't do a warm up until started. The DS had it at ~12.4V, engine off.

It's also spend a couple thousand more miles in my car with 93 blowing across it....

Bruce, I am glad to hear it is working out well for ya!!

Thanks for the update.

What kind of a distance do you reccomend for installing the bung at? I've heard some say 12" from turbo, others say down by the cat... well that pipe that takes the place of the cat. :D

Originally posted by onequick6
What kind of a distance do you reccomend for installing the bung at? I've heard some say 12" from turbo, others say down by the cat... well that pipe that takes the place of the cat. :D

Mine's at the rear of where the cat would normally be.
The Innovative can code from too much EGT, so further down is better.

Wide Band

I was riding around with Bruce qite a bit "sniffing turbos". "Wide Band" is the only way to get an accurate state of health from the car in a timely fashion.The Innovate worked well,was durable & robust.Hey Bruce hope we can go out sniffin' again next year.You might even think about letting Bob go next time.

cool

That's great to hear.
I had some trouble finding someone to tig the bung on the car so I took my test pipe off from the THDP and had it welded on. Seems to work great so far. Since I never run open dump I spun the dump towards the inside of the car with the sensor facing outboard. This was a clean install for me so I can run the cable through the pass door.
Now if I can only understand the effects of timing and a/f?

Re: cool

Originally posted by robh
Now if I can only understand the effects of timing and a/f?

For a street car, you run the least amount of timing consistant with max performance.

AFR is engine specific for what makes best HP. I've seen anything from 11.9 to 10.3.

Timing and it's effects on power is one thing, but going too far advanced or retarded can effect a WB reading since it changes the flame's properties in the chamber. Too much timing *can* generate a lean indicated AFR, and retarded, a slightly false rich. Some engines not enough to worry about some can be concerning. That's why in addition to WBs, and EGTs, you still have to look at the plugs once inna while, IMO.

Thanks

Thanks Bruce that's great insight to have. Unfortunately I am always looking at the plugs but only to replace them. Doesn't take much to create a miss under boost if I don't put new plugs in at .032".
thanks

Wide Band

I am in agreement with Bruce.Wide Band by itself can give you a general direction of where you are headed with respect to tuning the car.However,reading the plugs & EGT along with proper wide band readings provide the total picture.DO NOT THINK WIDE BAND ALONE WILL CLOSE THE DOOR ON MR. HEAD GASKET.I apologize if I gave that idea in a prior comment. Bruce,you da man! Wayne

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by robh
Unfortunately I am always looking at the plugs but only to replace them.

It's worth the time to learn to read what they're telling you. They are the only direct insight into seeing what really is going on inside the combustion chamber.

Goggling will turn up some general ideas about what the extremes look like, but a decent camera and emailing pics might get you some kibitzing from the peanut gallery, hint/hint.

Re: Wide Band

Originally posted by turbolc2
Wayne

Glad ya signed that one, I didn't know your Stage Name, LOL.
I didn't recognize the car in your sig, and was wondering who you were.

Anyone using the RPM convertor for the WB Innovative? I cannot seem to get mine to work. I have a MSD DIS and using the tach output. Please tell me how to get it to work. I have tried the 2000 RPM program method.
Thanks

There are a few people that are having problems with the GN ignition and the RPM cable for datalogging. I do not have an LM-1 on my GN, but I will have to put one on to figure out what the problem is. Hopefully someone will beat me to it.

FyI
Yesterday, I received information from Innovative that their "AuxBox" accessory for the LM-1 will be available for shipping in about 3 weeks. This tool accepts inputs from manifold vac/boost, RPM, spark advance and a type k thermocouple. These inputs as well as the WB O2 should tell a good story about the engine tune.
They indicate the price for the "AuxBox" will be between $199- $249.

They have also released the final (non-beta-test) version of their logworks program and version 1.40 firmware to go with it. This lets you log to the pc in real time, giving a strip chart style display (think direct scan in scope mode) that you can scroll over to check values while the engine is still running and data is still coming in. Verra nice :). Oh, download is free from www.innovate.com.

I used the innovative WB02 for the first time this year in BG. Very nice tunning tool to have. I have the RPM converter on there as well and got it to work ( No MSD box ). I made several runs without the PRM converter. I down loaded the data and could read it. Once I installed the RPM converter and made the run and downloaded it. I couldn't figure out 02's vs RPM. I need to call innovative have them explain it to me.

One problem I did have was down loading the data. I got three runs to down load and that's all I could get. Everytime I tried to down load another run it would down load it, but when I try to save the file and view it, it would lock up on me. Not sure what's going on with that.

my02
Chris McDade

Oops, one correction. The real time pc display shows round gauges for afr and the 5 analog inputs, with no history, not a strip chart display.