Is VP 110 Race Fuel still good for our cars?

DARTHV6

Years ago when I raced at the track at 15 boost I used VP 110 race fuel. Anybody still using that or is there something better? What is this Sunoco 260 GT race fuel I googled?
(Hope this general catigory is the correct place for this question)

Thanks!
Art

It's still a viable option to a point.
If you're wanting to get serious with a mild combo, then VP C-16 has been my go to race fuel for years.
It will take you very far before needing to change to something more potent.
However with that said, now that I've dove off the deep end into Alky and pump gas racing, it's a way more affordable option to consider vs always changing the O2 sensor after 10-15 gallons of leaded race gas and having to get a 2nd mortgage on the house for a barrel of race gas. M1 alky is way more affordable. Most start with race gas though. I ran it for many years before getting in to the alky game and now I'm fully sold on it.
YRMV

-Patrick-

The leaded fuels work.

That said, they're bad for the environment, and the lead from the fuel gets into the oil. If you're doing oil analysis, the lead from the fuel will mask bearing wear.

With a quality tune you can do just as well with the 100 and 104 octane unleaded options available under most conditions.

Years ago when I raced at the track at 15 boost I used VP 110 race fuel. Anybody still using that or is there something better?
you can use 110 leaded all day long with pretty aggressive tune,and sensor replacement.c16 for all out aggressive tune or just the added safety of the fuel itself.all of guys up here still run leaded race fuel and its costly to make alot of hits on.the m1 methanol is my favorite and mixed with pump gas its very cheap compared to race fuel and done rite will give the protection and power of race fuels.

The leaded fuels work.

That said, they're bad for the environment, and the lead from the fuel gets into the oil. If you're doing oil analysis, the lead from the fuel will mask bearing wear.

With a quality tune you can do just as well with the 100 and 104 octane unleaded options available under most conditions.
Thanks again!
Art

However with that said, now that I've dove off the deep end into Alky and pump gas racing, it's a way more affordable option

-Patrick-

I don't have the alky set up so this should still be good!
Thanks for the info
Art

110 leaded is great! It's gonna be pig rich at 15#. Watch your fuel trims and iats ... carefully turn the boost up to 25 lb , air fuel 11:8 You can run 20 degrees of timing up top what that stuff.

I run C12 ...cost $13 gallon locally but my car sees less than 200 miles a year.

If I were you I would have a race chip made from Eric. One chip for the track and one chip for the street.

A lot depends on your goals. Unleaded 100 will get you pretty far. 93 + alky can go faster than most people will every go.
I wish I could remember what I did to my car and what I farmed out to be done. Maybe I should take pictures and post some of the parts that I don't even recognize! I know I don't have alky but I have run 110 before without problems.

110 leaded is great! It's gonna be pig rich at 15#. Watch your fuel trims and iats ... carefully turn the boost up to 25 lb , air fuel 11:8 You can run 20 degrees of timing up top what that stuff.

I run C12 ...cost $13 gallon locally but my car sees less than 200 miles a year.

If I were you I would have a race chip made from Eric. One chip for the track and one chip for the street.
I haven't used C12 before but I have run C16 at 25pounds of boost, back in the day. <grin!> Of course that was 15 years ago. I'm back to basics trying to tune her now.
Thanks,
Art

I believe I have a regular size gas tank that replaced the original. Nothing special. I can't tell you if it is a Grand National gas tank or a Regal gas tank (if there is a difference) but when it was replaced the float is off. It shows it has more fuel than it actually does. I plan to drain the old fuel out before I race. (that's another how to post) Is 5 gallons of race gas enough for a few passes at the track?

Regards,
Art

I believe I have a regular size gas tank that replaced the original. Nothing special. I can't tell you if it is a Grand National gas tank or a Regal gas tank (if there is a difference) but when it was replaced the float is off. It shows it has more fuel than it actually does. I plan to drain the old fuel out before I race. (that's another how to post) Is 5 gallons of race gas enough for a few passes at the track?

Regards,
Art

That's going to depend on what tank you have. The GN tank has a sump and baffles built into it that will keep fuel around the pickup under hard acceleration. A normal tank from a carb'd Regal does not have any baffles in it at all. So if you underfill it and mash the gas, you could starve the pump and go lean.