JE piston to wall

scottk

told machine shop i wanted 4.5 piston to wall clearance!!!!they went5.5 !!!!!!!:mad: am i ok with 5.5

Look at spec sheet that came with pistons.I know je runs tight specs because the pistons do not expand as much as others.That is what the shop that did my machine work told me. Has the machine shop done other buick engines? Tell them to call JE for specs.

i told them 4.5 clearance !!!and if they didnt think that was right call JE!they just did what they wanted

Thats not cool at all. Do they build alot of turbo engines or at least use je pistons . I want to say mine was under .004 .The builder that did mine past away 5 years ago:frown: . When i dropped off my block he would not touch it untill he had the pistons. he had all pistons and rings marked for each cylinder after machine work was completed. there is not alot you can do now.I would call JE and see what they say

clearances

he could be right !i was was just wanted to know it I i should worrried?he made every clearance to the high side:mad:

he could be right !i was was just wanted to know it I i should worrried?he made every clearance to the high side:mad:

Sounds like he thought it was a SBC. :eek:
Have him find another block and make it right. :eek:

+1 i agree. call JE your self find out what they want them set at get a name and have your builder call them back. then once he finds out he ****ed up he needs to pay for another block and start over. you can find him a block on the board and he can pay you for it.

.004in was recommended by JE when i bought the last 2 sets of pistons for a 3.820 and 3.830 bore.

told machine shop i wanted 4.5 piston to wall clearance!!!!they went5.5 !!!!!!!:mad: am i ok with 5.5

Before you call the shop and cry, how did you measure the clearance ? should be done from .500 from the bottom of the piston skirt .

I have run .004 and found the skirts being scuffed, not sure if it was the cause of being too tight or not. JE even says that for turbo or nos to increase the clearances for extreme use. It might be a bit noisy cold but it shouldn;t cause big problems i would think. page 6 of this pdf explains its all.

http://www.jepistons.com/pdf/2005-srp1.pdf

Ihave another block!this motor is going together as is!i just wondered what problems i might have with it

So I've heard!

You can get the sides of the pistons coated with teflon. It helps with friction and makes them .001-.002 bigger. Call JE to find someone to do it, then get the machine shop to pay for it. You'll end up with a better product for the same cost. Good luck.

Mike

I ran .004 and had scuffing on the skirts as well. I wouldnt be concerned at all with that clerance. The combustion chambers get pretty hot in the forced induction applications. The pistons will expand more than a N/A application.

I always run .005" or more depending on the H.P. level you're shooting for. I would tell you that your machinist knows what he's doing if you ask me.

Neal

Close that gap

Disassemble and moly coat the skirts to take up the clearance. Thats the only thing I can see that you could do at this point. The engine builder will argue until he blue in the face before he admits he made a mistake. You can always say you decided to moly coat the skirts. Might as well gold coat the tops too.

Call JE and ask what they recommend the clearance to be for that piston diameter, for the HP level your going to make. Mabe the engine builder is correct call and see.

Good luck

Hopefully he didn't over clearance the main bearings...the mains are critical clearances to keep the rod bearings alive. I called every one from DLS to RJC to try to pry this info out when I was getting my motor built.
The guy that built my motor use to build the indy lights stage 2 and we had diffrent opinions, he asked why the mains needed to be tight as they call for. I couldn't answer his question so I called everyone and until I came up with the reason.

You are fine Scott. I had run into the same problem and called JE. Your gonna hear piston slap on a cold startup but once everything gets to operating temps everything should quiet down. Hope this helps..

Mike Banas

thanks for all the replys!!!!!!!!!!! I'll let you guys know what happens when it running:)

The only time I've experienced piston slap (only when cold) was with clearances of just over .007". I now run .0055 to .006 and have a leakdown of 1 to 2 percent even now. Well after the breakin period. I also use JE. You've got a good clearance there. Don't worry about it.