Lost fer Words. Not again!

So. Since it's the two center mains that went bad and considering they are after market main caps, What else besides bad machine work could have caused this? What is the path of the oil travel in the main caps? I ask because I'm wondering if there may have been any contaminant in the oil and would only effect the center bearings.

D
did they bolt the billet main caps on and not line bore the block after or something

Good question. Who knows.

With all just about said and done, and have this happened to me twice and I'm sure over 10k into two destroyed motors with minimal use, would it have paid off to go with one of the big dollar engine builders? Would they back up their work?

D

You got to have someone who knows what they are doing or this is what happens. The line bore is off.

That sucks. :(

When the car was idling you could feel this rumbling on the floor pan with your feet. when this all started. I remember thinking the exhaust was banging.
Could that have been a warped crank? It ran smooth for the first 800 miles or so. It never saw much boost either. I was still trying to get things right.

I had just received a new TT chip and the car woke up! no more knock and everything seemed great. Then two days later, noise/vibration.

I'm going to start prepping the 27k unopened motor I bought in Feb. ASAP. Onward!

D

With all just about said and done, and have this happened to me twice and I'm sure over 10k into two destroyed motors with minimal use, would it have paid off to go with one of the big dollar engine builders? Would they back up their work?

D

Looking at what you have there, You would have been better off having a good Buick engine builder do the work. Looks to me like they didn't fit caps and line bore the block properly. A good Buick engine builder would have done it correctly.

V6RACER said:
Looking at what you have there, You would have been better off having a good Buick engine builder do the work. Looks to me like they didn't fit caps and line bore the block properly. A good Buick engine builder would have done it correctly.

Bingo!!!!

Did you have the engine built local? I don't think there is anyone in Ma or NH that can machine and build a 109.

As close as your are to RPE, why would you not take it there?

If it was my engine, Id load the whole thing up in a car and take it to Bobby and tell him to call me when its ready.

It
As close as your are to RPE, why would you not take it there?

If it was my engine, Id load the whole thing up in a car and take it to Bobby and tell him to call me when its ready.

It's hard dishing out 10k. Of course knowing what I know now . . . I may have not known about RPE 3 years ago.

:/

It

It's hard dishing out 10k. Of course knowing what I know now . . . I may have not known about RPE 3 years ago.

:/

Well, if nothing else is ruined, you may be able to get it repaired for a reasonable price. Id still load the whole engine up and take it to Bobby and just ask him what its going to take. If the block isnt ruined and as cheap as steel cranks are these days, you may be able to get it back on the road without taking a huge hit.

Thanks for the advise. If I ever build another from the ground up I will visit RPE.

For now I'm going to set up the engine I bought and hopefully do some driving this summer.

D

ok have to ask...How do you know this other motor only has 27k on it ??? Are you goin to take it apart ?? After getting screwed on a few motors I trust NO ONE untill I take it apart myself. I have a 27k motor here I kept out of a Limited T a few years ago. Ran good but not great . Took it apart an # 6 piston was gone. Changed it out an have been beating on it for a while in the Mazda. Its a "BUYER BEWARE".
As far as Pronto's comment there are some that build a great Buick engine BUT after dealing with all the dickbeaters /window licker's they pick an choose who they do work for. R&R in Londonderry did a great job but passed away a few years ago.

You are correct. I don't know. I have the sellers word to go on. Stock unopened unmodified 27k motor.

I know first hand of deals on here not being what they are supposed to be.

I spoke with the seller several times and felt comfortable making the purchase and believing him.
He even waited a month and contacted me since i was first to PM him before selling it to the many people that responded.
I hadn't heard from him and thought it was sold.
Either he is honorable or has watched my threads and really hates me and sold me junk. Time will tell.
Dan seems like a good guy. I received the engine in February and it's still sealed in the crate untouched. I know, I'm a sucker for punishment.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/parting-out-wrecked-27k-mile-87-gn.389302/

It came complete from top to bottom with headers, engine harness, turbo and everything else that could possibly be on the motor minus accessories. 1500 + 500 shipping. That was a great deal.

I figure at the very least on this deal I can part out allot of what I don't need and make allot of my money back.

If this one F's up there will be allot of race goodies and parts for sale. I'll strip the f-er bare.

D

Ya, I was kind of referring to R&R. Heard of a few other guys but one of our NH guys had some disappointing results with them. Maybe there is some secret builders out there that don't want the publicity here since the board tends to be alittle too critical or biased.

The engine being out of balance will wipe out the center mains first.

So will cracked main webbing on the center mains. If you rebuild this block have it magnafluxed before spending money line boring it.

This is the place that did the engine. Maybe they are to blame, maybe they are not to blame.

http://www.simplexengine.com/

D

I was wondering who did the machine work. Want me to talk to bob and get the name of the shop in wareham for ya?

If u do run it by bobs shoot me a pm I'm 3 minutes down the street, would like to meet you

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I would at least contact the builder and explain the situation. Something went wrong with the line bore. They just might fix it.

So, I’ve slapped my heads and other goodies on the short block I purchased and it started up. After fixing a couple of minor issues It is running but it will start idling very low and then shut down. I’ve tried adjusting the TPS and IAC and even swapped the IAC and nothing changes.

I’m tired. Tired of trying with no success. the only way I could get any numbers was with a friend giving some throttle to keep it alive.

I’m not sure how good the numbers are but they were all pretty close to spec except for the IAC. It even got to 140 a few times. I kept going back and forth TPS, IAC. TPS, IAC. Can’t get it right. There must be something else.

No codes.

D

It might be possible you need to readjust the IAC
Look at both of these word files and see if you can readjust the IAC and then adjust the TPS

Attachments

• MANUALLY “RESET” THE IAC.pdf
    31.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IAC re-adjustment.pdf
    31.8 KB · Views: 83