You can type here any text you want

Lousy quarter mile performance

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Would you race your Buick GN?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Slix

So went to the track and had some runs on the GN for the first time.. wasn't impressed at all.

That being said I haven't really done anything to the car and it had radial tires on it...

What would be a good quarter mile time and ET for this stock car so I could see how far I'm off the mark?

Thanks

With a slightly modified stock car I've seen a average time of around 12.5-12.9ish

Last edited:
Low 13's depending on air. That's a stock car with slicks circa 1995. Might squeak a 12.9999 out with really good air if the track could hold it all off the line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low 13's depending on air. That's a stock car with slicks circa 1995. Might squeak a 12.9999 out with really good air if the track could hold it all off the line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slicks or street tires?

E.T. is subjective and traction dependent. An all stock GN or turbo Regal should run 96-97 MPH thru the traps in reasonable weather conditions. If you've in that range you have a good baseline to start from.

Neal

Mine went 13.80s all stock down to 13.20s with stickies,cone K&N,gutted cat,stock chip and 20 psi.

A stock GN ran 14 sec in 1987 (stock)

Mine ran 15.1 @ 92mph in 100 degree weather. Bone stock like it came off the showroom floor. So, probably low 14's with good weather. It was also a peg leg so it was very hard to get good traction.

My first time down the track in late '86, all stock w/ testpipe and stock tires was 14.51. I don't recall the mph, but there was a lot of tire smoke.

Yep, 1st time down the 1320 in my stock T Ltd I ran something like a 14.8
Don't let it get to ya if you run a crap #........running a good number is all all about hooking good with the right combo and good tune, and lots of seat time.
Go slow, take your time and start with a good healthy motor. Small changes one at a time. Don't bring too many things into the mix or you'll be running around in circles.

It takes a while to get the feel for launching a turbo car. Drag radials are pretty much a must to get better 60'. I ran in the low 14s with it being about 90% stock once I got a posi in it. Useless without that.

So went to the track and had some runs on the GN for the first time.. wasn't impressed at all.

That being said I haven't really done anything to the car and it had radial tires on it...

What would be a good quarter mile time and ET for this stock car so I could see how far I'm off the mark?

Thanks

Showroom stock .. lower 14's

Stock with someone that can "tweak" a few things 13.80 ish

Stock on race fuel and a chip exhaust open , locked convertor ,with slicks 12.60's all day

If your car is relatively stock I wouldn't go with high expectations. I have seen them range from high 13's to low 15's in the qtr mile. Lots have to do with driver error. It's not easy to launch these cars if you don't know how to find that sweet spot on radial tires. Drag radials make it 100X easier getting them out of the dig. Focus more on your mph until you sort out the front half of the track. Your mph will tell you what the car should really be running if you are not launching it properly, and will let you know if you have a problem that you need to fix.

Back