You can type here any text you want

Misgivings about Felpro 1001's.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SS_Sean

Pro Bracket
Guys, it's time to assemble my motor. I'm looking at the Felpro 1001's that came in my engine assy kit and they just don't look substancial. There is just a thin metal ring around the cylinders, and the gasket material is unimpressive. I intend to run 23-24 pounds of boost. Has anyone had good or bad experience. The time to decide is NOW! :D Thanks.

Just found out yesterday that GM no longer carries the OEM head gaskets or kits, they have all been bought by VPI, they want 187.00 for a full set, so I went thru my oil dist. and got me a full set of Victor-Reinz for a lot less, part#
FS3797, I would stick with stock but that is IMO.

Ron

The mosted dreaded thing I hear at the parts counter "Oh, VPI has all of those part numbers now"

Cha-Ching!!!!:mad: :mad:

Thanks, guys. I'm not looking for stock head gaskets. I'm looking for opinions on the FP1001's. Are they going to hold up? Is there another better set? Thanks.

Felpro doesn't list a 1001 head gasket for the Turbo Buick. They do list a 1000, though. The 1000 head gasket was made for a iron headed stageII. I would NOT suggest Felpro 1000's for a stock build. Use Flepro 9441pt head gaskets. The 1000's will require the milling of the intake manifold for proper alignment. The 1000's are .039" thick, and the 9441's are .064" thick. (as are stock ones) If you do not want to run stock style head gaskets, then use Cometic or RJC steel shim ones. Flepro has 1000, 1026, 1007, 9441pt, that will work in a turbo Buick. Stick with the 9441's unless you are making BIG power.........REAL BIG power.

I ran stock head gaskets with stock, ported heads and bone stock short block for almost 4 years running 25 lbs of boost, 214/210 billet roller cam and 66 P-Trim turbo running mid 10s. I did use a FAST to run the car, not a stock computer. But I never popped a head gasket or had any real problems at all. In fact, when I took the motor out to put in my current stage 2 motor, it was running perfectly. I would use stock head gaskets if I was you, but that is just my experience. There may be better qualified people on here with an opinion about what you have.

Just double checked and they were 1000's....just didn't look right. I also realized I had a set of 9441's, as well. :rolleyes:

Felpro 1000

Altho they have the necessary holes for the Stage II--they will work just fine with a stock block and stock heads. Assuming there is not a LOT of milling already been done to block or heads. .020 will not require milling of intake.

Back