You can type here any text you want

More on 3.8 oil/timing covers...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Freddie's Buick

Hell No! I'm not a junior
IMO, Here is the best suggestion I've read about the oil pump on these cars:
....They do have engineers that specialize in such things....Robert Carruth who was/is one such guy stated that side clearance was more important. I am not an engine engineer and don't know, but, I also know that there is a lot of folk lore passed around on such things that cannot be substantiated so I have to wonder. :) Blue Printing Oil Pump
Maybe Earl will tell us one day if he runs some tests.

The EB method of mods does'nt seem quite significant anymore once you understand whats written in the Steve Wood Vortex Buick link, (www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/Oilpump.htm). One is either in the end clearance camp, or the side clearance camp. But the only one that's easily do-able to the DIY'er is EB's mod.

I own a KB HV pump kit and it came with some gear pocket shims to hold the gears in place while measuring end clearance. It hit me that if someone was to manufactor a type of shim to fit all around the gear pocket with differant clearances that would cover that mod as well.

I was just thinking out loud....anyone wanna weigh in on this idea??:biggrin:

I remember the KB mods and how to do them myself Freddie. This was long before the re-do of the timing covers. It was recomended that you should run an HV kit and the mods back then, but the cars weren't being used quite as hard back then because they were new. I did them on my car and never had a pressure issue except when the cooler blew a line. Not a fun thing to happen btw.

I learned much from EB's oil mod posting and I'm not promoting HV pump kits either. :) The EB mod is just an off-shoot of the Ruggles/KB booster plate, (which required the grinding of the inlet passage). All EB did was drill a hole, (rather then grind), and re-route the hole closer to the path of both gears from the inlet passage. Same idea, differant/better approach. I have no idea what the oval hole vs. round hole concept is other than it may be some type of inside joke :confused:.

The big deal with EB's mod is that it saves you money, (I love saving money). Why buy a plate when you can just drill a hole?

The other mods EB did are just plain common sense. But he did come up with that. Opening and port matching oil galleys and water passages is a pretty obvious tuner trick. And that alone puts EB in good standing as pretty ingenius.

My observation is that as Steve Woods puts it, the end clearance that so many have said increases output, is not as significant as side clearance.
That is were most of the wear takes place along with the plate.

But thus far I've not seen anyone come up with a fix other than to buy a new timing cover. So if your oil pressures are way low, don't buy new gears and a plate. Buy a new timing cover and sand down the oil adapter housing flat. Take the old gears and sand them flat also. Measure end clearance and you're good to go.

EB's mods are just good insurance and an upgrade if you have good mechanical knowledge, (but you really don't need to do 'em if you buy a new timing cover).

These guys sell the covers:

Silver Seal Products For Buick

I don't know if they import their parts, the impression I'm getting is that they are made here. I may even buy one just to see how good they are.

They're the universal ones so it is probibly an import cover. That's the same one I bought off evil bay but it's a much earlier production unit.

this is a good read. How to build a front cover/oil pump - TurboBuicks.com

thats the EB mod or earl brown mod. he is not the first person to come up with this idea he got it out of the how to build buick engines by jefferson bryant. the post is made after the book was published. to tell you the truth i dont know who made this idea?

thats the EB mod or earl brown mod. he is not the first person to come up with this idea he got it out of the how to build buick engines by jefferson bryant. the post is made after the book was published. to tell you the truth i dont know who made this idea?
He had came up with that idea a while ago. Yes that is the EB mod. He's a friend of mine.
I'm not sure who came up with the mod, but it's a good read. He has move that he does to the cover. When I rebuild my engine he'll do most of the machine work for me.

Hey Jimbo,

Years ago you gave me a link to a guy on that forum that did something similar but it described in detail the sanding method and grits involved. His work left an almost mirrored surface. EB didn't get into the sandpaper grits in his posting, (someone did ask but EB did not reply to his question).

I looked high and low for that post but as of yet I have not been successful. Who was that guy?

I did the earl brown mods on my cover and it made a good increase on my oil pressure really helps at idle would suggest it to others it is cheapand it really works. Mike

Hey Jimbo,

Years ago you gave me a link to a guy on that forum that did something similar but it described in detail the sanding method and grits involved. His work left an almost mirrored surface. EB didn't get into the sandpaper grits in his posting, (someone did ask but EB did not reply to his question).

I looked high and low for that post but as of yet I have not been successful. Who was that guy?
That was Earl. I remember that post too, it's not the same one as I posted here. It was the first one he did and than did a part 2. He uses a glass window to get the oil cover flat when he sands.

Back