My billet TA block on Methanol/E85 w/ 160lb injectors and a Gen2 'street' car build.

Thanks for the info. Years ago there was all kinds of drama about front mount intercoolers. Lately it seems to be suspension parts. I'm just trying to improve the handling and braking some. I plan on mostly a street car and drags. I don't plan on autoX. I just need to lighten the car a little and want to do it with some frugality.

Thanks for the info. Years ago there was all kinds of drama about front mount intercoolers. Lately it seems to be suspension parts. I'm just trying to improve the handling and braking some. I plan on mostly a street car and drags. I don't plan on autoX. I just need to lighten the car a little and want to do it with some frugality.

I spent 140$ on both AFCO rotors.
Stock g-body spindles.
Stock calipers.
New brake pads 30$.
SPC UCAs w/ Howe ball joints 670$.

I saved 26lbs of unsprung weight (er well, I think only half the CA is counted as sprung, I forget), but anyway I didn't spend 2000$ to get a light front end. That isn't including the savings of not running a swaybar either.

I'm doing the same thing you are, except mine is more a drag car. I used the SPA1 shocks (80$ used) and Moroso springs (125$) for the front. No swaybar.

I think I redid the whole front suspension for under 1000? Its all about knowing what you need, and knowing what is snakeoil.

I don't know much about it all. I relied on the help of friends who've been doing this for years to guide me to pick parts. I used to listen to 1 person and take their word as gold. It failed me in the past.

This time around I spoke with many people and asked as much as I could (trust me, I get annoying with questions..) and then came to my own conclusions. I don't know much at all, and most people here have forgotten more than I'll ever know. However I am good at reading people (I did get a degree in it, afterall ) and figuring them out, which helped guide me towards who to listen to, and who to be careful of. It isn't hard to spot out certain characteristics after you've been taught what to lookout for.

All this stuff is my opinion. As really with everyone's suggestions. Rarely, is there a definitive "best" piece for a car. I'm just beginning to barely understand all this, but if you've taken geometry/calculus/physics, it makes sense. Luckily my best friend is a double-major in physics and mechatronic engineering, so I can ask him all the stuff I never really understand! My other two are chemical and electronic engineers...man how stupid do I feel when they begin going off on stuff!! :D

I'm like you though. I want to save some weight, not break the bank, but get good pieces. I feel like I did that. Others may choose different parts, which is totally cool. This is what I chose. Thats all I can really say. If you ever wanna ask me why I chose them, I'd be happy to entertain a phone conversation so you can hear just how stupid or justified I am in my parts choices.

As for the drama-look back to when there was no drama, and look at it now..what things have changed? What different people are involved? What is the drama really about? If you take a step back and look at what the before and after, it almost points itself out.

Like it says under my name: "Still needs to Learn". I have quite a ways to come in my knowledge, however I know enough about people to know when I should be wary. Thats all I can say.

I wish you the best with your project. And like I said, you can shoot me a PM and we can BS over this crap all day. Anytime is Buick time!!

Some new pics of the build... writeup soon to follow..

I'm coming after you Jeremy!!! mwuahaha!!

Yes, that is a narrow journal stroker crank... Something that every vendor I called said was un-attainable right now, or only able to get unless you spend $2,000 on a full stroker kit... yet somehow I got a brand new one...

Attachments

• 100_0938.JPG
    100_0938.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 549
  • 100_0942.JPG
    100_0942.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 580
  • 100_0939.JPG
    100_0939.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 534
  • 100_0941.JPG
    100_0941.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 560
looking good man. on a side note i think i missed your call the other day no?

looking good man. on a side note i think i missed your call the other day no?

Yea I think the other day I called you.... however I forgot about what... It might have been to inquire about your filter and see how its working. I was thinking about that the other day and was curious if you got it running

Attachments

• 100_0948.JPG
    100_0948.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 301
  • 100_0946.JPG
    100_0946.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 299
only got fuel flow through it. havent fired the car up yet. maybe in the next few weeks.

Any updates on how this runs ?

Not yet, but I will be getting the motor built within the next few months, and the turbo has changed to a nice shiny one from WORK Turbochargers :)

Big thanks to John Wilde for setting me up with Reed from Work Turbochargers.

Right now we are working on putting on a new doorskin for the passenger door, as the car got hit and needs a new outer skin.

After that, I am taking the motor and parts down to Duttweiler to get built. I will update the motor specs in the first post later on, but it'll definitely be a badass 109 :)

Last edited:
Well, made plans this weekend to have the motor built by Dutt over the winter.

Also ordered my converter from Dusty last night.

Sad thing is that I took off my LCAs and UCAs to clean them and get them powdercoated, and now I can't find them after the gf cleaned the garage out...

So I'll either be buying the same UCAs and some new LCAs soon, or I'll find my old ones :)

Goal is by next november have the motor in the car and able to fire.

Cool! Cant wait to see it run again.

Mark E.

Well, made plans this weekend to have the motor built by Dutt over the winter.

Also ordered my converter from Dusty last night.

Sad thing is that I took off my LCAs and UCAs to clean them and get them powdercoated, and now I can't find them after the gf cleaned the garage out...

So I'll either be buying the same UCAs and some new LCAs soon, or I'll find my old ones :)

Goal is by next november have the motor in the car and able to fire.

Cool! Cant wait to see it run again.

Mark E.

Thanks! I decided to pass up getting the compressor and am using all my funds to finally put this car back together and make her scream.

Found my LCAs and UCAs. Going to have those powdercoated along with the steering box, spindles, and steering linkage. Should look nice when all done.

In the process of ordering a new PST center link and an aluminum radiator/ AC delete panel from TR Custom parts. Just ordered my AFPR and some AN fittings to hopefully complete the fuel rail setup. Once the motor is in I'll have to locate where the AFPR and a million other things will mount, but when I have to worry about that I'll be happy since the car will be much closer to being done.

After speaking with Dutt's wife, running around 650hp shouldn't be much to worry about for the motor, so I'm trying to build the rest of the car up to make sure everything runs smooth.

Great project, good luck!! One question if I may..have you driven enough to see how NO P/Steering along with the S-10 box feels? That certainly should be a nice weight & space saver.

Great project, good luck!! One question if I may..have you driven enough to see how NO P/Steering along with the S-10 box feels? That certainly should be a nice weight & space saver.

Thanks for the compliments!

No, I haven't really driven enough to get a good idea of how it feels.

I did drive it a bit before I took it apart to see how it felt, and yea it was a bit difficult, but as long as you're moving it isn't too hard to turn.

My main goal was to shed as much weight as possible while still being reasonable.

I lost 30lbs from the front UCAs and rotors, aluminum heads vs irons, no PS, no AC(compressor/lines/etc) and no heater box, 13lbs from using an aluminum radiator, relocating the battery to the trunk (90% sure I'm gonna do this. Yes it isn't weight savings but it is moving the weight to the rear)

I am hoping that after all the parts are off, I am able to shed a solid 150-200lbs off the front of the car with everything I have taken off or relocated. I figure a lighter car=a faster car if you can hook :D

Was really surprised how quickly the radiator arrived from TR Custom Parts.

Now I am waiting for all my fuel fittings to arrive so I can see how I will plumb everything.

I'm thinking of using braided lines and using black fittings for all my vacuum hose lines. I'm not sure if all the blue and red would be too much, and the black lines and fittings might looks pretty sweet. Maybe black fittings and regular stainless lines...not sure :)

I did ss braided line and black fittings. Looks good on a tb.