You can type here any text you want

My front sus is to high................

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gnfanatic

Hey guys, I have fac springs and perfer to keep using them. I need to lower the front about 1.5 inchs. How much do i cut off the fac springs??

thanks!!

Start with 1 full coil but if they're the originals you'd be better off replacing them with new front and rear.

if you want factory ride quality your are conterdicting your self by cutting them.
cutting a spring reduces the structural integrety of the spring and will make it ocelate more causing a very bouncing poor ride quality.
eibachs ride just as good if not better then stock.
drop spindels will keep it exact the same as is now.
if you look at my profile picture that is what your car will look like with eibach pro kit and bell tech 2 inch drop spindels from an s10 it makes the car very very low though looks bad ass though.
but if roads are ruff were you are just do one or the other not both. the eibachs alone drop nice and flat all around making it sit very nice and agressive if you add the spindles it gives you and extremely agressive. i got tired of it after a will and whent back to just the eibach the eibachs drop 1.5 in the front and .85 in the back which makes it sit nice and flat until you put some 275 50 15s in the back then you get a nice rake

If you want to keep the factory ride, dont cut the springs. Cutting them increases the rate = stiffer ride (not in a good way either).

If you want to keep the factory ride, dont cut the springs. Cutting them increases the rate = stiffer ride (not in a good way either).
This sin't exacly true here. A regular spring is rated in lbs per inch to compress it. Once you cut it ti's still at the same rate but you have less travel so it will feel like the rate has increased. The stock front springs are rated at 355 lbs/in which is fairly light considering how much the car weighs.

If you use dropped spindles you might be able to retain the ride quality but will introduce other factors into the front suspension that may cause the ride to suffer. No matter what you do there's a chance you can change the behavior of the car. What I would suggest is to measure the ride height as it sits and see if it's in spec first. If not then you can change the springs with new ones and go from there. Ride height is measured behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels at the rocker panels. It should be between 9 & 1/8" and 10 & 5.8".

With stock sized tires...

Yup, playing with all these numbers now.

Thanks guys, I am going to look into the eibach or moogs then. I dont want drop spindles (mine are powdercoated) and I have fac size tires in the front. Right now the car is raked and I dont like the look. May I ask what eibach kit drops the front 1.5 inchs?? I will check to see which is less firm, the eibach or moog.

thanks!!

Well there is one other way and it helps the handling at the same time. You can get a longer ball joint for the bottom and top and if you just want a 1" drop you can get a 1" longer ball joint for the bottom and help the camber curve while you're at it.:D

I just cut the springs on my car this winter. Cut of 3/4 of coil and lowered it about 1-1.5", just what I was looking for. Drives the same as before.

I was wondering how it could effect the spring when the rate stays the same?? so 3/4 of one coil will lower it about 1.5 inchs? It doesnt hurt to try. What kind of tool did you use to cut it?? I have a recip saw.

Just a regular angle grinder with 4 1/2 cut off wheel. Cut like butter. I cut a bit at a time and was willing to remove and cut more to get where I want. You have to let it settle and drive it.

There is also our DSE 2" drop coil springs that Many here have used including myself... These give your car a great stance and coupled with DSE's matching replacement shocks you also get a great ride! Much can be said for a shock that is valved properly to the coil spring that you are using!

Cutting springs is not worth the hassle or the ride quality once they are cut not to mention every time you cut them, you have to re-install them just to see how they dropped the car and they ride. If they are not right you have to go through All that crap again and Try to get it right and 9 out of 10 times It Never is right!

Here is a picture of a customers car with stock wheels and the DSE 2" drop coil springs & DSE replacement shocks... This set up allows for a Great Stance, Great Ride and he gets to drive right onto an Auto-x and run it.....
DSE shock & spring on stock car.jpg

Well guys I cut 3/4 of a coil off and now the front sits at 26 inchs. I like the look but havent driven the car yet. Scott, I have Qa1's and entirely new front sus, I dont want to spend the coin on anything right now with the suspension. I spent enough on the shocks and del alm bushings. Down Down the road I will call you :)

in my Signature below is factory height ATR rate springs, but i added BMR front upper an lower control arms,That dropped the front 1",stock spindles, Aero space disk brakes (which set the wheel out 1") I'm going to take an inch out of the back now

Enjoy!

Back