need cam suggestion please

Cam

I had a 212/212 cam and I liked it. Right now I'm running a 218/218 cam and its really nice. Lunati can make you cam the way you want it.

Allan

204-214 !!!!

After much research on the board, I just installed my speed pro 204-214 cam last week end in the 85 T. Only mods are stock heads with gasket port matching of intake and heads, Ta 33, postons passenger side header, stock drivers side header, atr downpipe, and 36lb injectors. All I can say is D*%$#@*mn!!!
Idles great and pulls like a mother up top. Watch out !!! this power will sneak up on you. I don't have a posi unit in yet but I am excited about what the car will feel like if I can get some traction. @ 13psi of boost I'm leaving 90ft drags in the road. Enough babbling glad your getting one and would highly recommend it to anyone else.

Re: 204-214 !!!!

Originally posted by boostmaster
After much research on the board, I just installed my speed pro 204-214 cam last week end in the 85 T. Only mods are stock heads with gasket port matching of intake and heads, Ta 33, postons passenger side header, stock drivers side header, atr downpipe, and 36lb injectors. All I can say is D*%$#@*mn!!!
Idles great and pulls like a mother up top. Watch out !!! this power will sneak up on you. I don't have a posi unit in yet but I am exited about what the car will feel like if I can get some traction. @ 13psi of boost I'm leaving 90ft drags in the road. Enough babbling glad your getting one and would highly recommend it to anyone else.

:D

you know people use to jump at me on here for mentioning a split pattern cam but everyone that has tried it seems to be happy with it..:)

Thanks boostmaster, sounds encouraging.
Reds, I always thought the idea of more flow on the exhaust side made sense for a Turbo car.

i just bought and put in the 204-214 cam from speed pro, I just went to my local O'reillys' autoparts and looked at a catolog. I like to do the research myself. I ordered the 1940204 originally, and I posted earlier they were discontinued or unavaliable, something like that. So i went with the 204-214, I don't remeber the part number I just looked it up and told the sales man I want this one. I also replaced the lifters, springs, valve seals and locks.
Also i lucked out and got a set of lifters, the store dusted off some they had in stock. Everywhere else was on back order, one of those nation wide back order things. I think that ht969 number was what i used on the lifters but i don't remeber the cam part number.

It runs perfect, Now its so smooth once it is warmed up at a stop light i keep thinking it died. ALso traveling back to college I got 25mpg on the highway.

Great to hear that! Mine has really been an improvement as well. However it sounds like yours may be a little smoother and quieter than mine. Maybe it has something to do with all the porting, bigger turbo, and 3" single shot :rolleyes: ;)

P.S. Cant wait for some #s at the track when it opens back up! Should finally be able to get this thing down to low 13's/high 12's (I hope).

6SENSE: my car has the same symptoms you described. Almost exactly the same. How does it feel now? did it fix the problem?

i think I'm going to go w/ the speedpro 204/214 that everyone seems to run. I personally have no experience w/ cams, so how do I order it when I call? tell them i want a speedpro cam 204/214? thanks for the help, Steve.

ya just call them and tell them the car and year , make sure its for a turbo 3.8 , i think they make a even and odd fire 3.8 . They should know by the turbo 3.8 tho. It seems to be the cam to run these days.

How is all going REDS, been some time now that ive talked to ya.

Originally posted by fireberd350
6SENSE: my car has the same symptoms you described. Almost exactly the same. How does it feel now? did it fix the problem?

i think I'm going to go w/ the speedpro 204/214 that everyone seems to run. I personally have no experience w/ cams, so how do I order it when I call? tell them i want a speedpro cam 204/214? thanks for the help, Steve.
Wow, an oldy but goody huh? I dont even remember which problem you would be refering to, its been so long. I guess I could look at the thread :rolleyes: . If your talking about the issues with loping idle and low vac, etc. Yeah that was a bad cam. 204/214 is good. However, I am not using it right now. In fact I ditched that whole block months ago (I'll be rebuilding it sometime). Right now I am using a completely stock block (and cam) and running my best #s. I had, at least, one thread a while back discussing the issues I went through with the block.
Just make sure if you go with the bigger cam you go through the proper steps. Meaning measure for lifter preload. You will probably need different size pushrods. Do some searches, here and in General Tech: plenty of info. Also make sure you break in properly and change oil frequently, also plenty of tips for the routine if you do a search. Dont know yet what exactly killed that engine. May have started with the wiped cam from years back, then there was a lack of lifter preload later on?? All I know is it had a topend knock that I finally figured out and got rid of just to unmask a lowend knock that was only going to get worse. Oil pressure and power/drivability was fine, but that lowend knock was either main or rod bearings or both. I have learned everything the hard way, and am still learning. You can skip some of the heartache by doing some research first. Good luck :)

hey reds and everyone i was readin all the post replys and seems to me that 204-214 is the best way to go but maybe u guys can help me make my decision i have my 85 t-typw cpmpletely stock would that be a good choice of cam to swap (204-214) and put on my car and if not what can anyone recommmend for me keep in mind i am plannin and doing on buildin this car to get me in the high 12s even mids but will that cam be good enough for future modifications ? y not a 206- 206 ? not to familir wit all that cam numbers any advicxe or tips greatlt aprrecitaed thanx

i had the 206 and it really didnt seem to even be there, i was going to swap the 204-214, you will have no problems with mods later down the road with this cam as reds has soon it will go in the low 10's and maybe faster. I would say go for it.

so ur sayin it would be ok not a problem to change my cam to a 204-214 and car will do fine wit it. i do plan on making high modifications though in a couple months from now if i do change to that cam woud i have to change anything else ?

I would say go for it, maybe reds will write you on this one but i thought he run this cam when his hot air was pretty stock and was getting good times13.0. Ans was going low 10s with it so it will gas fast for sure. my car was stock when i put the 206 in and had no problems , felt like the stock cam so you should be ok.

where are you red

i can wait to get my stock 206,xxx mile cam out and put my 204 214 cam in . i hope moves alot better then it did before .i have seen reds on here for a long time .woneder how his car is doing .

I seem to be the only one who doesn't recommend the 204-214. Everytime my front cover had to come off I would try a new cam since there wasn't a lot of solid info. I liked the 200-200, 210-205, 206-206 but once I put the 204-214 in, my car turned into a pig. Maybe mine was ground wrong but it was absolutely horrible and I couldn't wait to get it out of there.

Maybe I saw different results because my car is intercooled, who knows.