NVU gauge cluster installation.

Your solution can be what I and many did before the JTR and Nook sensors-- buy the 16K sender and use Caspers speedometer converter.
His box converts 16k into 2k
Just for the record when I had this the speedo to ECM would be erratic sometimes it is adjustable though. You can get an accurate speedo signal by splicing two output wires from the 16k sender, have one go directly to the speedo, and the other going to the Caspers box then the converted output to the ECM.

http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/product_info.php?cPath=61_62_5_6_10&products_id=632

This or one like it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marshall-92...ash=item35fd821c45:g:r60AAOxy0x1TWXm3&vxp=mtr

Your solution can be what I and many did before the JTR and Nook sensors-- buy the 16K sender and use Caspers speedometer converter.
His box converts 16k into 2k
Just for the record when I had this the speedo to ECM would be erratic sometimes it is adjustable though. You can get an accurate speedo signal by splicing two output wires from the 16k sender, have one go directly to the speedo, and the other going to the Caspers box then the converted output to the ECM.

http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/product_info.php?cPath=61_62_5_6_10&products_id=632

This or one like it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marshall-92...ash=item35fd821c45:g:r60AAOxy0x1TWXm3&vxp=mtr
So I should also be able to use this converter with my Autometer 5289 gps sensor, which is 16k correct? Thanks!

Last edited:
Found a solution to the 2 pulse sensor. The electrician at RC's garage just pulled the sensor and buffer out of an n/a regal dash and made a nice box for it out of aluminum. Now, it doesn't get rid of the speedo cable, but it sends the message to the ecm just like it always reliably did. If it wears out, that sensor is easily available. I went with the Autometer GPS sensor to run the dash. Also, he said my car HAS to run faster, as he pulled 5 pounds of wiring out of the car:cool:
He also gave me permission to post this idea. Thanks John!!!

That is not quite a new idea... that is the way the way the 1995-98 Park Avenue dashes were retrofitted to GNs (another thread on that).
I used that method on my road race car but it limits you to speedo gears to get accurate readings so tire and gear changes will skew it.
And you might want to pick up an extra one of those spare VSS buffers they are drying up.

Anyone know the correct wires to hook to the "check/service engine light" and "brake" light on the NV dash cluster?
This car also has the PM brakes replaced with vacuum boost.

Anyone know the correct wires to hook to the "check/service engine light" and "brake" light on the NV dash cluster?
This car also has the PM brakes replaced with vacuum boost.
On page one is a color diagram of where the wires go. It might take looking at it for a few minutes but it starts to make sense. Print or snap a picture of the screen and use it for a reference when working on the car.

I used the Dakota Digital gps speed sensor to try & feed my speedo but it's reading 20mph low.
There are a number of setting on the DD gps as far as output speed pulses and not sure which one to select.

I have no experience with the Dakota GPS. But why don't you just make an adjustment and see which way it goes. Then adjust/fine tune based on the results.

I have no experience with the Dakota GPS. But why don't you just make an adjustment and see which way it goes. Then adjust/fine tune based on the results.
It turned out to be a simple fix on going into the setup of the gps sender and changing the pulse speed from 8k to 16k.

WHeeew! what a thread. I know its been awhile since anyone has posted on here. I bought a NVU GN110729, Performance II Series, black/blue digital system. I took off my interior, including the dash.

I got lost reading everyone's posts, about what is needed and the wiring and I got a headache reading after the 15th post, lol. Before I buy any additional items needed for this install, can someone update me on the other items I need to buy with this install?
Any troubleshooting?
Any tricks used?

I greatly appreciate the effort.

William.

WHeeew! what a thread. I know its been awhile since anyone has posted on here. I bought a NVU GN110729, Performance II Series, black/blue digital system. I took off my interior, including the dash.

I got lost reading everyone's posts, about what is needed and the wiring and I got a headache reading after the 15th post, lol. Before I buy any additional items needed for this install, can someone update me on the other items I need to buy with this install?
Any troubleshooting?
Any tricks used?

I greatly appreciate the effort.

William.

I wish i could be some help. I bought my dash and still haven’t installed it. It was overwhelming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Believe it or not I have not installed mine. I am afraid to touch the wiring on my '86 digital gauge.
Jeff

After reading all this, it is discouraging, but I know the results will be great!. I am away on military training and want to purchase the rest of the items to get this installed when I get back home in March. I hate attempting to install this and a small part is needed and halts the whole project.

Hopefully someone here already completed the project and can share the trouble shooting any issues they came into.

I found mine pretty easy to install though it’s been years since it was done. If you have specific questions I’m sure I can dust off the cobwebs and provide some help. I have the same gauges.

It will be a few days before I’m home and can look through everything though.

One thing, after you remove your current dash remove the padding that surrounds it so you have room to work. It makes life much simpler.

After reading all this, it is discouraging, but I know the results will be great!. I am away on military training and want to purchase the rest of the items to get this installed when I get back home in March. I hate attempting to install this and a small part is needed and halts the whole project.

Hopefully someone here already completed the project and can share the trouble shooting any issues they came into.
It really isn’t that bad, I will say reading this thread and just looking at it is somewhat overwhelming. You do need a place to work on it w/o being press for time. I have heat and air in my shop and the car sat there for a month while I work on it. For me l did one little thing at a time until I was satisfied it was right. That’s why it took me a month. When I got done and had it all back together and started tha car up, I was thinking if one or more things don’t work then I’m screw, because I would not know where start over at. However it did start and everything worked,I just couldn’t believe it, I beat on my chest like King Kong and walk around my shop saying I’m bad I’m bad. I was one more happy mama. Just take it slow. Like Dave said if you run in to something post that up we will help

It really isn’t that bad, I will say reading this thread and just looking at it is somewhat overwhelming. You do need a place to work on it w/o being press for time. I have heat and air in my shop and the car sat there for a month while I work on it. For me l did one little thing at a time until I was satisfied it was right. That’s why it took me a month. When I got done and had it all back together and started tha car up, I was thinking if one or more things don’t work then I’m screw, because I would not know where start over at. However it did start and everything worked,I just couldn’t believe it, I beat on my chest like King Kong and walk around my shop saying I’m bad I’m bad. I was one more happy mama. Just take it slow. Like Dave said if you run in to something post that up we will help

That’s a cool story. Thanks for the inspiration [emoji16]

Thanks guys. I am going to start in the beginning of the summer. I have the GN in my garage and will be taking my time with it. I already took everything from the dash, except for the steering column and the wires. SO, there is no turning back. Just wanted a list of extra things to get it started when I get back.
captndave737, thank you, I would greatly appreciate it! Again, no hurry, just that I want to get everything ready when I start.

William.

I found mine pretty easy to install though it’s been years since it was done. If you have specific questions I’m sure I can dust off the cobwebs and provide some help. I have the same gauges.

It will be a few days before I’m home and can look through everything though.

One thing, after you remove your current dash remove the padding that surrounds it so you have room to work. It makes life much simpler.

Captndave737, well sir, I am home. I would like to see if you can assist me. You can contact me vie email at sniperdfa1@yahoo.com

If you have a list of where to start or what did you start out with?
I have everything including the dash out of the car. Only the wires are there.
I will be inspecting the wires to make sure they are not cut, stripped, or burnt. Then ill clean the area up and then I will be standing there staring at it for a long time....LMAO.......

Thanks.

William

The only small things I ran into:

1) A few bad LEDS for the indicator - high beam and another one can’t remember they sent new ones

2) Oil pressure gauge not working - can’t remember is I used the wrong connection on the sender or had to add a ground maybe.

3)Speedo and Fuel gauge flaky - Still have these issues. Still need to look into these. Fuel gauge once past half tank is not accurate. Caused me to run out of gas a few times. Speedo bounces around like it has some interference. Not sure if it is my speedo cable/speed sensor or if I need to go GPS sender

Hope that helps!

The only small things I ran into:

1) A few bad LEDS for the indicator - high beam and another one can’t remember they sent new ones

2) Oil pressure gauge not working - can’t remember is I used the wrong connection on the sender or had to add a ground maybe.

3)Speedo and Fuel gauge flaky - Still have these issues. Still need to look into these. Fuel gauge once past half tank is not accurate. Caused me to run out of gas a few times. Speedo bounces around like it has some interference. Not sure if it is my speedo cable/speed sensor or if I need to go GPS sender

Hope that helps!

Thanks for sharing your experience with your NVU gauge cluster and I wish your results were a little better, because as of right now I am considering buying the GNS gauge cluster. I do hope that you get these problems ironed out soon.