Operation Overthrow! Unleaded Gas for $1.35/gal

Doing what you suggest would actually cause prices to go up.

By boycotting Exxon/Mobil, demand is not reduced, just shifted. The Exxon/Mobil demand shifted to other companies would create a supply shortage for those companies. Faced with short supply those companies would raise their prices since demand > supply = higher prices.

Then, in a truly ironic twist, Exxon/Mobil would simply sell their supply to the companies that are not being boycotted... at the higher price.

Hmmmm.....wonder if I took my faithful watchdog.."Big Barkey" to every gas station and told them to lower the price to $1.35 a gallon.....Big Barkey barks in my hand and bites across the room:tongue: See Big Barkey below:

DSC_0007.jpg

Let me know if you think this would work....WOOF,WOOF!!!!!:D

Ah, to see $1.35 a gallon again (sigh:redface:) then I could die in peace.

Bruce '87 Grand National

By boycotting Exxon/Mobil, demand is not reduced, just shifted. The Exxon/Mobil demand shifted to other companies would create a supply shortage for those companies. Faced with short supply those companies would raise their prices since demand > supply = higher prices.

Then, in a truly ironic twist, Exxon/Mobil would simply sell their supply to the companies that are not being boycotted... at the higher price.

So If everyone stops buying products from Walmart suddenly instead of going bankrupt your saying they are going to make even more money by selling their products at higher prices to their competitors who want them to fail?
The problem is that everybody believes what the oil companies tell them.

The only thing I believe about our "wonderful" oil companies is the big bragging of their big profits every year in the billions and billions......they rub it in our faces and smile.

Bruce '87 Grand National

The only thing I believe about our "wonderful" oil companies is the big bragging of their big profits every year in the billions and billions......they rub it in our faces and smile.

Bruce '87 Grand National

I didn't realize it was a crime to turn a profit. Here we go again with "the evil oil comapnies" are making too much money.

They smile and I smile too for a couple of reasons. One is that I live in a country that still allows someone to make a profit. Two, I have invested money in these "evil oil companies".

So how much money should they be allowed to make before giving it away or be penalized? Should we make them pay more taxes? Do you even know how much companies like exxon pay in taxes or how many people have jobs because of them?

Here's another one for you. Exxon is an American company, if you are going to demonize an oil company at least do it to a foreign one, or do those not make enough money to be evil?
Wheather you want to believe it or not, you owe your quality of life to the petroleum industry. From the clothes you wear to the food you eat.
I couldn't imagine how much a loaf of bread would cost if we were still using mules to plow and harvest. Not to mention there probably wouldn't be a tree standing if we didn't have natrual gas to heat our homes and make electricity.

I didn't realize it was a crime to turn a profit. Here we go again with "the evil oil comapnies" are making too much money.

They smile and I smile too for a couple of reasons. One is that I live in a country that still allows someone to make a profit. Two, I have invested money in these "evil oil companies".

So how much money should they be allowed to make before giving it away or be penalized? Should we make them pay more taxes? Do you even know how much companies like exxon pay in taxes or how many people have jobs because of them?

Here's another one for you. Exxon is an American company, if you are going to demonize an oil company at least do it to a foreign one, or do those not make enough money to be evil?
Wheather you want to believe it or not, you owe your quality of life to the petroleum industry. From the clothes you wear to the food you eat.
I couldn't imagine how much a loaf of bread would cost if we were still using mules to plow and harvest. Not to mention there probably wouldn't be a tree standing if we didn't have natrual gas to heat our homes and make electricity.

Yes, please tell us how much that loaf of bread, clothes, etc would cost if our truckers were paying reasonable prices for diesel?
There are only two sides to this problem. Either you're hurting for money or you're rich. The rich do not want to see change to their money making scheme and the poor have been brainwashed (and still being brainwashed) into believing they have no power to change this internal destruction of America.
My hope is the people of America will see through the lies and finally do something (anything really) besides sitting back and letting the 1% destroy the other 99% of us. I didn't want this to become a pissing match or get people upset, I just wanted to let people see that they do still have options.

So If everyone stops buying products from Walmart suddenly instead of going bankrupt your saying they are going to make even more money by selling their products at higher prices to their competitors who want them to fail?
The problem is that everybody believes what the oil companies tell them.

The Blob is correct. Walmart's business model is different from Exxon's. The way they obtain their product is different too. That enables Exxon to sell their share to their competitors, in this case, at a premium. The real evil in the oil business isn't Exxon or BP (although BP is pretty evil), it is the people hedging on oil futures. That is the factor that really drives the price of oil. It has been said numerous times that if margin rules were changed on futures to mimic those of all other stocks, the price of oil would drop $10/barrel. Also the prospect of alternative fuels being used to power transport vehicles (the largest consumers of fossil fuels) would change people's outlooks on oil futures. Boycotting one company wouldn't do anything. You would have to boycott them all. I would get behind that if I could.

I know it sucks, but this is the way the free market works. Only government regulation or a widespread change of public opinion can change this. EVENTUALLY, oil will become too expensive and businesses will develop new technology to counteract this. Right now though, the only reason people would make the initial investment in a $40,000+ Chevrolet Volt is because of the large government tax credit. $40,000 can buy me a LOT of gas for a cheaper, non-hybrid econo-box, or even a used gas-guzzler.

On a final note, Jay Leno once said that alternative fueled vehicles, specifically hydrogen, will save the car the same way the car saved horses. They're still around, just only used for recreation instead of a primary mode of transportation.

Yes, please tell us how much that loaf of bread, clothes, etc would cost if our truckers were paying reasonable prices for diesel?
There are only two sides to this problem. Either you're hurting for money or you're rich. The rich do not want to see change to their money making scheme and the poor have been brainwashed (and still being brainwashed) into believing they have no power to change this internal destruction of America.
My hope is the people of America will see through the lies and finally do something (anything really) besides sitting back and letting the 1% destroy the other 99% of us. I didn't want this to become a pissing match or get people upset, I just wanted to let people see that they do still have options.

What would you deem as reasonable fuel prices? The question is what would it cost to live if we did not have the petroleum industry?
I am really curious about the other options too. What are they? And How is this the destruction of America?
I am more in line with the destruction of America being too much governement, higher taxes, governement healthcare, the UN, political correctness, and demonizing of companies who operate in a free market making money selling you a product that you do not have to buy.

I'M in!

Hmmmm.....wonder if I took my faithful watchdog.."Big Barkey" to every gas station and told them to lower the price to $1.35 a gallon.....Big Barkey barks in my hand and bites across the room:tongue: See Big Barkey below:

View attachment 130634

Let me know if you think this would work....WOOF,WOOF!!!!!:D

Ah, to see $1.35 a gallon again (sigh:redface:) then I could die in peace.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Attachments

• Hand cannon.jpg
    Hand cannon.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 314
That's a great idea! Let's show Big Oil! Let's all stop driving and stop using everything derived from petroleum products. We'll teach them!

Or better yet, instead of trying to save some money on gas, how about be thankful you're not affected by the tornado in Joplin. I bet those people wish that's all they had to worry about.

I never said it was a crime to make a profit....I just don't enjoy the big oil boys bragging about their profits every year, the billions in profits while we have to really worry so much about keeping warm this winter when it costs us over $2500 to fill the oil drum up....so we don't eat but cheap food, economize, and very rarely drive our car.....we really know how to cut back but the cutbacks are hurting us....so tell your oil boys to stop rubbing it in my face.....and if you've got investments in them, please come over with one of your several ZR1 Corvettes, you can afford them, I'll never be able to....I'd love to have a ride in one....but if you come over in the winter, wear a winter jacket and some warm clothes here in our house, it does get cold, for we just don't have the $2500 to BURN to keep warm.....but it does not sit well to see the big oil boy drive by my house in his nice Lamborgini every morning....yes, one lives in our area, and he works for big oil, and his bragging is legendary.....it's one thing to be successful, it's another thing to RUB IT IN OUR FACES to the ones that just don't have it so good. Get my drift? We have been cutting back on all living expenses and watching our money very carefully due to the high prices of food, thanks to the oil industry pumping up the gas prices which means the transportation of food products go up GREATLY...someone has to pay to get the food in the stores..we do....right now, it's the refineries that are keeping the gas prices very high as they now have claimed they have the right to make huge, huge, huge profits.....very well, hugh profits equals not caring at all about the little fellow, the poor, the hungry....that's real nice.

So, please come over and give me a ride in your Vette...I'd love to have one, (a ZR1!) I'll even give you a dollar for gas!!!!:D And enjoy your profits....send me a card from Paris on your next day off...you've earned it and I'll never see Paris in my lifetime....I'm very concerned and busy saving up enough money to get some oil for our furnace for the coming winter....you don't mind, I hope? I'm worried about keeping my wonderful wife warm this winter....I'm also saving for a new oil drum because the old one finally quit early this winter and we had no heat for about a month.......at the same time, in the paper wa the report of your friends, the oil boys, bragging about their billions and billions...yes, it's great to live in a country of BRAGGERS....where else could anyone brag so much and sleep so well.....

Bruce '87 Grand National

The link isn't working for me. If it's what I think it is, I'll leave you with this.

If there's one thing more annoying than fuel prices......it's threads about boycotting fuel......because of fuel prices. E-mails and such stating the same.

"A boycott of a couple of brands of gasoline won't result in lower overall prices. Prices at all the non-boycotted outlets would rise due to the temporarily limited supply and increased demand, making the original prices look cheap by comparison. The shunned outlets could then make a killing by offering gasoline at its "normal" (i.e., pre-boycott) price or by selling off their output to the non-boycotted companies, who will need the extra supply to meet demand. The only person who really gets hurt in this proposed scheme is the service station operator, who has almost no control over the price of gasoline"

Big oil DOES NOT control oil prices either. Oil is a publicly traded commodity and it's price is determined through the open market. Everyone should kill the hedge-funds and large brokers who are driving up the futures.

Everyone should kill the hedge-funds and large brokers who are driving up the futures.

In 2008...when it was real bad, I sat across the table from one of these guys. He brought me to breakfast, he was one of our race car drivers. While we were there he answered his phone and started talking about dumping/ buying oil.
At that point I realized that this dude was directly responsible for me paying almost $5 a gallon for diesel fuel. This was when there was a pretty big hurricane in the gulf (if anyone remembers that). All I could do while chewing my bacon was imagine my hands around his neck. To hear all of the plight at truck stops from Owner/Ops broke my heart. The best I could do was charge him 20% over what I paid for the fuel. F'em.

The Blob is correct. Walmart's business model is different from Exxon's. The way they obtain their product is different too. That enables Exxon to sell their share to their competitors, in this case, at a premium. The real evil in the oil business isn't Exxon or BP (although BP is pretty evil), it is the people hedging on oil futures. That is the factor that really drives the price of oil. It has been said numerous times that if margin rules were changed on futures to mimic those of all other stocks, the price of oil would drop $10/barrel. Also the prospect of alternative fuels being used to power transport vehicles (the largest consumers of fossil fuels) would change people's outlooks on oil futures. Boycotting one company wouldn't do anything. You would have to boycott them all. I would get behind that if I could.

I know it sucks, but this is the way the free market works. Only government regulation or a widespread change of public opinion can change this. EVENTUALLY, oil will become too expensive and businesses will develop new technology to counteract this. Right now though, the only reason people would make the initial investment in a $40,000+ Chevrolet Volt is because of the large government tax credit. $40,000 can buy me a LOT of gas for a cheaper, non-hybrid econo-box, or even a used gas-guzzler.

On a final note, Jay Leno once said that alternative fueled vehicles, specifically hydrogen, will save the car the same way the car saved horses. They're still around, just only used for recreation instead of a primary mode of transportation.
that pretty much sums it up. great write-up

I never said it was a crime to make a profit....I just don't enjoy the big oil boys bragging about their profits every year, the billions in profits while we have to really worry so much about keeping warm this winter when it costs us over $2500 to fill the oil drum up....so we don't eat but cheap food, economize, and very rarely drive our car.....we really know how to cut back but the cutbacks are hurting us....so tell your oil boys to stop rubbing it in my face.....and if you've got investments in them, please come over with one of your several ZR1 Corvettes, you can afford them, I'll never be able to....I'd love to have a ride in one....but if you come over in the winter, wear a winter jacket and some warm clothes here in our house, it does get cold, for we just don't have the $2500 to BURN to keep warm.....but it does not sit well to see the big oil boy drive by my house in his nice Lamborgini every morning....yes, one lives in our area, and he works for big oil, and his bragging is legendary.....it's one thing to be successful, it's another thing to RUB IT IN OUR FACES to the ones that just don't have it so good. Get my drift? We have been cutting back on all living expenses and watching our money very carefully due to the high prices of food, thanks to the oil industry pumping up the gas prices which means the transportation of food products go up GREATLY...someone has to pay to get the food in the stores..we do....right now, it's the refineries that are keeping the gas prices very high as they now have claimed they have the right to make huge, huge, huge profits.....very well, hugh profits equals not caring at all about the little fellow, the poor, the hungry....that's real nice.

So, please come over and give me a ride in your Vette...I'd love to have one, (a ZR1!) I'll even give you a dollar for gas!!!!:D And enjoy your profits....send me a card from Paris on your next day off...you've earned it and I'll never see Paris in my lifetime....I'm very concerned and busy saving up enough money to get some oil for our furnace for the coming winter....you don't mind, I hope? I'm worried about keeping my wonderful wife warm this winter....I'm also saving for a new oil drum because the old one finally quit early this winter and we had no heat for about a month.......at the same time, in the paper wa the report of your friends, the oil boys, bragging about their billions and billions...yes, it's great to live in a country of BRAGGERS....where else could anyone brag so much and sleep so well.....

Bruce '87 Grand National

I don't own a Vette and I probably never will and I've never been to Paris. The bragging you are talking about sounds like it's coming from one individual. I don't see companies bragging about thier profits, I see the media bragging for them and making a huge ordeal of it. Not everyone who has money invested in the oil industry is a millionaire.
Companies don't brag about their profits, they report them. They have too if they are a publicaly traded.

Don't buy into the hype that these guys are all a bunch of money grubbing snobs who would snatch a dollar from a child if they could. Companies like Exxon,Shell,Valero and others invest a lot back into the communities where they operate. They sponsor school activities,and donate to many charities. Sure there are some bad seeds in the business but that can be said about any big company.

I always thought that if the whole country picked one day once a month or every two months where everyone didn't drive, fuel prices would plummet. just stay home or walk somewhere. Emergencies aside of course.

Sounds like it'd work

D

Judging by the amount of traffic on the roads around here and the full parking lots at the mall on any given day of the week. I'd say the majority of people are not concerned or it does not affect them.