You can type here any text you want

rear springs

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

nwarky

I have been stalking this forum for the past year trying to decide what mods to the brakes and suspension I wanted to try on my GN. I finally decided and I have encountered something I didn't expect. I went with the Moog 5413 springs on the rear. Other changes include the PBR rear disc brakes with upper and lower nonadjustable UMI rear control arms. Question is this: with the rear axle unsprung the springs are too short and fall out of their perch. I failed to ever read where others had this same problem or I wouldn't have chosen those springs. Any thoughts or similar experiences from others with this set up? Sort of impractical to have to worry about the springs when simply just changing tires. Also, instead of lowering the car the springs raised the car about 1/2 an inch on a car with 62,xxx miles. Thanks for any help or just sharing of similar experiences.

Dean

Hey,

I have been thinking of getting a pair of these 5413 rears. I haven't heard of that either. With the shocks bolted up do they sit fine? I know they are talked about here because they lower the rear. What is the distance from the ground to your fender lip with them installed?

Hey,

I have been thinking of getting a pair of these 5413 rears. I haven't heard of that either. With the shocks bolted up do they sit fine? I know they are talked about here because they lower the rear. What is the distance from the ground to your fender lip with them installed?
i have them installed and they look great...i put new bilsteins in at the same time....wheelwell sits about 26 1/4" or so

Dave,

With the disc brake conversion the lower shock bracket is relocated and sits about one inch lower than stock location. Even so the fender lip measurement is at 27" which is about 3/4 inch HIGHER than my stock set up which is the opposite direction that I was intending.

Dean

Seems like you may need a shorter shock to keep the springs in at full droop. Are they stock size?

Have you driven the car or bounced it up and down to try and settle the springs to see if the car is closer to 26" from the ground?

Whitecobra, do you have loose springs when the axle is off the ground?

when we put them in i don't remember them being loose, but I replaced everything in the suspension that day..it was a long 12 plus hours, so I could have missed a bank bag full of money tied to one of the shocks!

I have been using moroso trick rear springs with bags for abt 2 yrs noproblems I went with metco upper an lower control arms and lake wood shocks

The 5413's are loose in the perch. Thats normal and wont cause any problems. What size tire are you running in the rear? Something is holding it up in the rear. You should be at abut 26.25 with a 26" tall tire.

At the moment the tires are 245-45-16s on the 16" GTA wheels. You describe the springs as "loose" in their perch but mine are three inches down from the upper location when on a lift. Something's just not right! Thanks for the interest in my situation.

Dean

Yeah... something is weird here. Can you post some pictures? What shocks do you have?
With the 245/45 tire size you gave you should have gotten about 0.6" under the typical 26" fender height with stock springs.

At the moment the tires are 245-45-16s on the 16" GTA wheels. You describe the springs as "loose" in their perch but mine are three inches down from the upper location when on a lift. Something's just not right! Thanks for the interest in my situation.

Dean

I installed the same shocks and had the same results.They raised the car about 1/2 inch and they are a few inches from the top perch when i jack the car up.I taught that was normal when installing shorter springs.As far as raising the car it may have done that because the stock shocks where worn out.

Thought I would include a picture of how short the 5413s are in my application. Again, can't explain why my car is this way but not every one who has used the 5413s experienced the same problem. Also, makes no sense at all that the car is now higher. Guess I will reinstall the original springs and see where I am at. This is what happens when you change more than one thing at a time. Could it be the UMI control arms? Can't imagine the shocks being the explanation as the KYBs they replaced were not worn out and I have used Bilsteins on other TRs with no issue. Keep the thoughts coming!

Dean

IMG_3245.jpg

Wow.:eek: Is the weight of the car on the rear end in the picture or is that on the lift?
I wonder if you got the right springs and shocks. Moog says 5413 free height is 12.93". Are yours that tall? That is almost 2" shorted than the stock replacement
What part number shocks did you get? F4-B46-0929-H0 is listed on Bilstein's site for your car.

I ment to say springs and thats how mine looks also without any weight on the springs.I have to get under the car and line them up while somebody slowly brings the jack down.

Back