You can type here any text you want

Scared the %%%/ out of me for a second!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dhos1

Self-tuning wanna-be
Just installed a boost controller and THOUGHT i had it all doaled in. I got on it--boost climbed, then i heardd a POP...POW. I proceeded to shit my pants. My AF ratio stayed at 10, and it was stumbling bad. I limped it home and opened the hood and found this----I thoight for sure head gasket city.....phewwwww

Attachments

• 14830510566971892293420.jpg
    14830510566971892293420.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 462
Lol...been there. I think blowing an intercooler pipe off has happened to most of us on here at some point.

You get that sick feeling as you limp home and then a big relief to see that it is something easy to fix that won't cost any money!!

I think ive done that to every tb ive worked on.Somewhere along the piping.
Costed me a hood insulator once.

I've blown an intercooler hose on a hand full of occasions and it never made a loud pow except once. On that occasion it blew the head gaskets instantly. It was the day after I had just replaced them. Guess what I did the next day? Check the oil to make sure you didn't blow gaskets.

Last edited:
is your hood insulator still intact?
Yes....the hood is good. I removed the torn up isolator a while ago. Looks cleaner to me that way. One day when I get money like some of you guys on here...i will get me a new one. Been looking at the ones from hoodskins recently. Yes...i got a major sick feeling. Kinda like a $$ck me feeling when tax time comes around. Im a black dude and i can guarantee from the neck up I was pale as shit. Yes, i am going to change the oil this weekend to be safe probably. And tighten up every damn hose there is. Matter of fact make that a part of routine maintenance. I was about 5 miles out and had not hit the highway yet. I did secure the hose and she ran like a champ.

Happens to everyone at some point. I forgotten to tighten the clamp on my car. A bead on the end of the pipe can help too.

Yes....the hood is good. I removed the torn up isolator a while ago. Looks cleaner to me that way. One day when I get money like some of you guys on here...i will get me a new one. Been looking at the ones from hoodskins recently. Yes...i got a major sick feeling. Kinda like a $$ck me feeling when tax time comes around. Im a black dude and i can guarantee from the neck up I was pale as shit. Yes, i am going to change the oil this weekend to be safe probably. And tighten up every damn hose there is. Matter of fact make that a part of routine maintenance. I was about 5 miles out and had not hit the highway yet. I did secure the hose and she ran like a champ.
I'm not saying that you need to change the oil. I'm saying that you need to look at it to see if it looks like a muddy milkshake. If it looks like oil,you're good to go. If it looks like mud,it's head gasket time.

Without a bead on your uppipe it's going to happen again. Even with the good clamps.

I agree....how would i put a lip on it..maybe weld one on somehow?

That's not very safe. You have no bead to prevent jamming of the pipe under pressure. I've heard of pipes blowing off and ripping the coolant hose at the 330' in a 9 sec car. Same reason. No bead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree....maybe ai shoukd invest in a new uppipe, or weld a bead on it somehow.

Happened to me too. On the maiden voyage after rebuilding engine while giving it boost to seat rings. Scared me to death that I'd done gone and blowed it up again. (Calm down grammar police I am being funny)

You can also build your own bead roller:

Or, go to a machine shop and have someone roll a bead for you. That is what I did.

Glad it was OK. Scared the hell out of me first time it happened to me.

Back