SD2/Powerlogger Pro general discussion

Been fine tuning on my SD2 letting my Brother drive me around while I fine tune on the fly , it makes it so much easier and get to watch the laptop closer and do the fine adjustments . I am on my last cell block in getting it where I want it on top end with so far at 22lbs of boost and no KR yea hoo ! , I took the tune very slow but have learned a lot about how SD works , I did about a hour of driving and tuning and when I got back to the shop I pulled the plugs and looked at them and I was amazed how pretty they looked , I have never got my plugs to look that nice before , I want to Thank Eric and Bob for their hard work in making the the new SD2 chip work for us newbys and experts also making our cars fun to drive and haul some ass . Im sure I am only scratching the surface so it can always be brighter and better once you get the handle on the tuning the SD2 .

Just came out of the garage after about two hours. I popped the chip in , got most of the hunting at idle out at the initial start, and made a few logs. Still have tip in issues after going both ways in the AE parameter, no luck.
I attached some logs. The first is a foot brake spool, the second is a transbrake spool, and the third is a pass from BG last year.

Attachments

• SD2 spool.dat
    92 KB · Views: 73
  • SD2 spool2.dat
    93 KB · Views: 78
  • bge854.dat
    135.5 KB · Views: 89
So this may sound like a strange question being that I do not yet have the SD2. I live in Tucson where E-85 is not as abundant as other places but have started the conversion process and plan on using the SD2. My question is, with this chip can there be say an E-85 and a 91 tune loaded? Or would I be better off just buying a separate pump gas chip? I only ask for getting stuck in the rare instance I find myself needing gas with no E-85 around. Thanks

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

My question is, with this chip can there be say an E-85 and a 91 tune loaded? O
Yes it has a place to tell it what fuel you will be using

Parameter 13 – Fuel Composition

This number is a fuel trim with 128 being “the middle” or 0%. Higher than 128 adds fuel.

The main purpose for this adjustment is for fuel type (E85 for example). This is an overall

fuel correction that is similar to adjusting fuel pressure. It affects everything from idle to WOT fuel,

and cranking fuel. This is used to compensate for differences in fuel types, engine displacement, etc.

For E85, you would increase this number to the 166-170 range. Normal gasoline should be about

You can also save a tune for e 85 and one for 91 then load what ever one you want.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

when switching from e85 to pump gas, you need to adjust spark advance, boost, and the fuel composition parameter. There is currently no provision for saving 2 tunes in the unit.

Bob

Great, thanks for all the responses to my question. Makes more sense now.

You've gotten good advice and posts on your questions. Like Bob said you can really only have one tune file loaded at a time, but there's and easy solution. You'll notice when you open the tune page there are Upload and Download buttons. Use these to save (download) and load (upload) your saved tune files. Once you get your E85 tune close, (and I say close because I can't see it getting any better than close and I'll explain in a minute) just download the file and it's saved. Same with the 91 octane file when you get your tune perfected. Then all you have to do is upload whichever file you need to match the fuel type you're using (E85, 91, 91+meth).
Now, why should you worry about your E85 tune? Well, because all the independent test organizations that have tested E85 pumps around the country have found the variation in actual blend to be very wide. Variations all the way from E50's to E90's were found. Modern Flex Fuel cars can deal with this because they have fuel sensors on board that measure the amount of ethanol in the gas. Our cars do not have that luxury. So understanding this going in you know why you'll always be fussing with your E85 tune.
SD tuning really isn't all that bad but a lot of guys have gotten turned off and intimidated by trying it when they never could get things to work right. Two thing that are needed for success are:
1. A basic understanding of how the internal combustion engine works and breathes.
2. A good state of tune and all sensors and controls working properly before you make the change over. !!!

I'm convinced that #2 is what the problem is in most cases when guys get frustrated and can't understand why things aren't doing what's expected.

It's always fun making an adjustment and seeing the results!! Then moving on to the next adjustment and so on.

Keep at it!! There's plenty of help here.

1. A basic understanding of how the internal combustion engine works and breathes.
2. A good state of tune and all sensors and controls working properly before you make the change over. !!!
Very good answer for sure Dave, another thing I do when tuning is I take a pic with my phone the table that I tuned and name it and I can always go back and put it back with just a few clicks of the mouse on the laptop .

That's one way to do it! I just hit the download button and save the new tune to a file.

You guys have got that concern of mine pretty much knocked out! Awesome info and nice to see everybody's take on different ways of doing it.

So we just need Bob and Eric to modify PL to have a flex fuel input and the SD2 chip be able to use it

David

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

I figured you had thought of this already.

David

So we just need Bob and Eric to modify PL to have a flex fuel input and the SD2 chip be able to use it

David

You mean like a fuel composition sensor???

still have a little surge at idle. can it be smoothed out in the VE table? its all but gone but stills comes and goes.

Attachments

• 23rd st 45mph test.dat
    180.5 KB · Views: 68
  • test home 23rd st.dat
    767.5 KB · Views: 58
yes, you can adjust the VE table to even out the idle hunting. try increasing the VE slightly just above and to the left of where the yellow oval spends most of its time at idle.

you can also add a degree or 2 to the 800 column of spark advance right at idle.

Bob