SD2/Powerlogger Pro general discussion

Ah, where to begin? This has not been a good day. Started off doing a cruise to get more data on why the car is running so rich. While driving the car it began rich as usual, it went very lean as you can see in the log. During the run I was adjusting parameters 5 and 6. I'm guessing only parameter 5 was in effect since there was no boost. The first change was to 121 and then 114. Ran okay atfirst and then went lean. I had to pull over and shut down and put parameters 5 and 6 back to 128. The second log is another cruise at no boost and everything is very rich. CF is pulling the max out. The third log is from tonight where I was just at idle and adjusted the AFR at low RPM and KPA to 13.0 to try and get the idle to steady out (it oscillates around 900 RPM+/- 50). It never really gets to a good steady idle. The final log is another attempt at adjusting parameters 5 and 6, unfortunately as you can see the chip didn't seem to work as CF never came on. It read 128 on the scanmaster and the PLC the whole ride. I pulled over and restarted the car and restarted the PLC. It still didn't work. Here is where it gets interesting, when I pulled in the garage and turned off the headlights the chip started working. Turned the lights back on and it stopped. I've never had an electrical issue before and the car ran perfectly fine with the extender chip and Gen II before the swap. So now I'm looking for suggestions. Thanks.

Attachments

• sd2 chip cruise - went very lean.dat
    549.6 KB · Views: 86
  • sd2 chip cruise 8-13-13.dat
    655.3 KB · Views: 64
  • sd2 chip idle afr target 13,0 8-13-13.dat
    359.8 KB · Views: 77
  • afrc not working 8-13-13.dat
    256.8 KB · Views: 118
when I pulled in the garage and turned off the headlights the chip started working

you used to run an extender chip......?

the gray wire that used to select the second row of adjustments in the extender shuts off the correction in the SD2 chip (for when you using the 2-step, etc)

Bob

so you need to disconnect that gray wire.

:)

I haven't looked at the logs yet.

I'll check tomorrow, but I removed the entire Gen II and connecting cable. I'm not sure how it could still be in play. Does it run from D11 to the scanmaster maybe?? If so I forgot that...

its not a gen-2 wire, but comes with the chip.

I usually connect it to the wire that feeds the PRNDL lamp in the console. The wire is under the dash right below the radio.

Bob

Okay. I did not remove that. I can't remember where I hooked it up, but it is still in play. Will it have any other effects other than the headlight thing I mentioned?

Eric would be a better person to answer that, but as I understand his implementation, it just shuts off closed loop.

Bob

Yes, pin D11 only shuts off closed loop.
In your cruise files, I see where you let off the gas to slow down, but the TPS doesn't go lower than .54 volts. But then the last idle file, it goes down to .40. If the "closed throttle" position is varying, you will have problems.

Also, on the file where it goes really lean, here it is:
Captureyy.JPG

Something electrical "happens" right there. Don't know what. It also looks like your foot is off the gas, but TPS still at .56v.

Looks like a sticky throttle plate that doesn't want to close all the way.

Thanks guys. I will troubleshoot the throttle plate and linkage. Could it be the TPS is bad? It is relatively new (1year)...

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Probably not a tps failure mode. With key on engine off, slowly depress the pedal to the floor and slowly release it and see what value it settle at. (may take several tries). If it settles in the .5 to .6 area, then go under the hood and try and close it further by hand. I'll bet sooner or later you'll find it sticking.

Thanks guys. I will troubleshoot the throttle plate and linkage. Could it be the TPS is bad? It is relatively new (1year)...

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I see you have a Accufab 70mm TB...
I was chasing a issue last year .....not the exact same as yours.... but similar with weird TPS volts and turned out the self locking nut on the shaft that holds the plate where the throttle, TV, etc cables go to was tight but being self locking it wasnt quite tight enough and there was just enough slop in the square cut hole in the plate that mated to the shaft that every so often the shaft would not move in harmony with plate.
And it doesn't take but a wee bit to get a tps reading.
I just happened to be looking really close and saw it do it and after a few choice explicts ....LOL. I snugged up the nut and all was well.

Do they make any instructions for dummies for the Tune table adjustments , Im still in the dark on what all them numbers do and that floating thing does . I need to tweak some other that the chip settings and would love to know which way to go . Any help from a video would be nice .

Do they make any instructions for dummies for the Tune table adjustments , Im still in the dark on what all them numbers do and that floating thing does . I need to tweak some other that the chip settings and would love to know which way to go . Any help from a video would be nice .

I always thought the instruction manual had a lot of good information! The SD2 instruction manual is pretty comprehensive, and has lot's of good info. Have you read that?
Any specific areas that need clarification??