second trip to track,slowed down......wtf?

hate to see you chasing your tail.the kb chip had alot of timing in it.throwing parts at the car wont make you faster.the car has meth and sounds rich as others have stated.you dont need to yank the motor to go 11's and as you learn the old stock motor is what you can play with yank it when you hurt it.

I agree w/Mr. Spool, as I'm sure the Bison and Pacearta. You have everthing necessary for the 11's except the tune.
As Bison and Pacecarta have mentioned the exh. housing, as the weakness in the combo. That would be an issue I would look at first and check the turbo bearings for coking? If the wheels are spinning free, no problem. If they are dragging it can cause an inconsistancy in the boost/rpm relationship. i.e. on one run the max boost may hit @ 2800rpm and the next run it may hit @ 3400rpm. It would be very difficult to tune w/that kind of inconsistancy. The alchy can mask problems as well, that's why it was suggested to turn it off, lower the boost and tune on the pump gas first. It will gernerally limit the damage to minor things while you are trying to learn what the engine likes in the way of fuel/timing. And as usual, you are tuning for no knock.
You are gaining the knowledge, but you haven't quite connected the dots for the "big" picture as of yet. We are all theere at differant levels, which is what this board is for.

update since last years runs,
last night i went back to same track and came out on the first run...12.13@110mph!
my first 12sec run.i was stoked.the 60'time was 1.8.not the best but the best i could get all night.

this previous winter i decided to pull the motor and check everything.I bought a set of ported and polished 8445 heads,put ssvalves and comp springs,206roller cam,hsharproller rockers1.65,new rings,bearings,minor port on intake,put it all back together.ive got drag radials,and a new sd2 chip.everything else the same(turbo,exaust,etc)
this run had 275/50/17 drag radials at 20#still burned rubber at a 3#launch,lowered them to 18#and it seemed much better.
all night i trapped a 110mph,any ideas on the best et's for that speeed?
im gonna run this combo till this winter ,im getting a ptc9.5nl convertor,stg2tranny,and 62/62,and see if i reach my goals.
thanks to bison for roller cam/lifters and build specs,and eric marshal for an awesome chip,11s here i come!

congrats on the better run its a good feeling when the car is working well.

As far as mph and better e.t that depends on what kind of power you are making.....that is pretty solid e.t for that mph

My car runs 11.80 at 110mph at 17psi.......thats on a soft 5psi launch I tried leaving harder and it just does not hook.......now if I up the boost the mph increases

I have also run 11.80 @ 122 that was more boost 22# but a lot of tire spin with it....i was not using the tq at that point it was more hp on the big end to pull to that mph

i started at 21# and elevated that to 23/24# and same trap speed,so i went back to 21# and gave it a degree of timing and same speed.i figured shes runnin out of breath with the turbo i have?

What was eighth to quarter mph gain?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Shouldn't be out of breath at current level although you will need more turbo in the future. What was the trap rpm? Also measured tire height. Seems like converter slip might be high

Focus on your 60'. 2.0+ is doing you no favors (from your posted slips)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

the 20% slip on converter (or trans) isnt helpful either
About 3mph right there which will get worse the more power is thrown at it

thats what seemed to happen,i added 2-3# and it didnt help a bit.im goin back today,im gonna back down the boost to see where i start to lose mph.and definitly work on my 60'.
just some practice,and fun till the stge 2 tranny , 9.5 ptc convertor,and bison built 6262 gets put in.
it should get pretty interesting after that.

If I was you, I would swap out those 28" tires for a set of 26's. A 26"x10" slick would pick up both et and mph. The 28's at your level is too much, I wouldn't introduce those until your in the bottom 11's high 10's.

If I was you, I would swap out those 28" tires for a set of 26's. A 26"x10" slick would pick up both et and mph. The 28's at your level is too much, I wouldn't introduce those until your in the bottom 11's high 10's.

wouldnt that raise my rpm through the traps?I am new to this combo and #s thing.with my cam and gears isnt that about perfect rpm through the traps?or is it at that rpm cause im slippin so much?

wouldnt that raise my rpm through the traps?I am new to this combo and #s thing.with my cam and gears isnt that about perfect rpm through the traps?or is it at that rpm cause im slippin so much?

Yes it would raise your rpm through the traps, which is essentially what you want. You have a hdy roller cam in there, don't be afraid to go through at 5800 to 6000rpm, your valve train can easily do that. 20% slip ain't helping the cause either, but unless you re stall that converter you just have to maximize what you already have to work with. Either way the 26" tires would be a better choice for your level of performance and get the car into its powerband better throughout the qtr. The roll out on the 28" tire is too much imo.

Yes it would raise your rpm through the traps, which is essentially what you want. You have a hdy roller cam in there, don't be afraid to go through at 5800 to 6000rpm, your valve train can easily do that. 20% slip ain't helping the cause either, but unless you re stall that converter you just have to maximize what you already have to work with. Either way the 26" tires would be a better choice for your level of performance and get the car into its powerband better throughout the qtr. The roll out on the 28" tire is too much imo.

good to know thanks,next set will be shorter.
i dont care for the slight raked look anyways.
one other question,the transmission gets its shift point signal from?
with my other 26 " tires i used to run,it shifted at 4900-5k.its shifting at 53-5400 now.is the shift change from the diameter of the tires or the cam change,or the chip?

That's primarily done with the valve body in the tranny. You can adjust it with your tv cable. Pull it back towards the firewall to lengthen the shift point or push it in to shorten it. Imo with a hyd roller cam the shift points need to be set higher. 5300rpm is not even utilizing the cam, that's flat tappet territory. Should be shifting at about 5800rpm so when the shift comes for the next gear, your still in chunk of your powerband and not losing momentum.