Should I buy it??

Walooo

Hi all, first time poster here.

I have the opportunity to buy a GNX for 25k, im 24 and just married, so this is a bit of money for me. My question is this; in how bad of a condition would this car have to be for it not to be worth 25k?

I'll look at some responses b4 i post more info about the car (I've seen it, but haven't yet given it the rundown).

If it is a real GNX and you don't buy it let me know where it is please:biggrin:

As long as you can't see through it and the original parts are on it or with it you can't go wrong.....

Really please if you don't buy it let me know:biggrin:

Welcome to TurboBuick.com! This site should answer all your questions!

It runs, but not fast looks like it needs new wires, I havent checked if original turbo is on it, and im guessing it has a salvage title. The seats/carpet are in good shape, doesn't look there's rust, a little (4in ding) body damage. Im gonna check it out on thursday.

Alot of clones out there. Be safe and do alot of research... A salvage title that makes things different.... Again alot would depend on the original parts.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to take a better look later in the week, I'm pretty sure that its no clone, but I would appreciate some pointers on how to spot one. Ive ridden in it for like 5 minutes so I know that the dash is correct as well as the exterior, the rest I will need to inspect.

look for the 3-link rear suspension with panhart bar. also, pull a wheel and see if they are real (rare) GNX or (plentiful) GTA wheels. take photos of rear suspension and post here. look at the fender flares...wheel lips should be cut so the flares actually allow a wider tire. the electrical relays under the hood are mounted on a special bracket that allows the fender vents to actually work. post pics of the dash here as well.
Conrad

Doug,
You are right on except there was a post about a year ago that in Carlisle PA one auto shop removed the vin from a GNX wrecked on I-81 and put it on a GN. I believe he may have moved some of the GNX parts as well. There was a lot of discussion as to whether this was legal. It may have happened before. Can you match the VIN with the IC number/turbo # assuming they were not switched as well?

Looked at it in a bit more detail today.... drum roll.......its REAL!

Ladder bar rear suspesion, correct dash and instrumentation, correct codes on trunk lid (t2l), asc catalyst sticker. Driver door repainted so the other stickers are under it.

Pics to follow, ill pm the vin to doug later. Its a bit run down but just got some engine work done.

So.. .original GNX 24k miles with its original parts and sunroof (was this rare?), couple engine upgrades like forged pistons new arms, body is rust free with a bit of fade on the paint (not shiny) couple minor dents, needs weather stripping. Info t come on the title status.. but this looks like a no brainer right??

A GNX with a sun roof? :eek:

While I have NO idea if any GNXs came original with a sunroof, it shouldnt be THAT surprising.... I mean, the "ASC" in "ASC-McLaren" stands for American Sunroof Company (though in 2004 they changed it to American Specialty Cars).

There were no GNX's made with sunroofs. It must be aftermarket. If it is a supossed freak then some documentation is in order. Like if it was installed by ASC Mclaren during the X conversion then it would be documented. PM Doug the VIN. Just about everything can be bought to make a clone.

There were no GNX's made with sunroofs. It must be aftermarket. If it is a supossed freak then some documentation is in order. Like if it was installed by ASC Mclaren during the X conversion then it would be documented. PM Doug the VIN. Just about everything can be bought to make a clone.

GNX 033 was the personal car of Heinz Prechter the owner of ASC------- and it had a sunroof-----well documented on numerous sites and in ASC corporate literature------fact..................RC

GNX 033 was the personal car of Heinz Prechter the owner of ASC------- and it had a sunroof-----well documented on numerous sites and in ASC corporate literature------fact..................RC

Well, my point exactly freaks, not the norm, documented. There is also a white GNX that is real. The GNs that were sent to ASC were all black, solid roof cars, so if there is a sun roof in there you should make sure ASC put it in with the X conversion.

Hmm... i didnt think twice about the sunroof when I was looking. I guess some more pics/ research are needed. Just send doug the vin so we'll see what he has to say. If the roof is factory would it be more exciting monetarily, or just novelty?

035 had a sunroof installed by ASC.
29565d1181737738-like-new-gnx-found-gnx-016-small-.jpg

Well, my point exactly freaks, not the norm, documented. There is also a white GNX that is real. The GNs that were sent to ASC were all black, solid roof cars, so if there is a sun roof in there you should make sure ASC put it in with the X conversion.

033 is a real GNX and while it may or may not have been done at GM i am pretty sure that ASC would not have sent the car somewhere else to have it done--------if GM didn't do it i would believe that ASC did-----i was also told by a reliable source that the GNX purchased by the Marriott hotel owner also had a sunroof-----perhpas thats the 035???------the white car is a T-type converted by an ex ASC employee and while done well it is not a pedigreed GNX............RC

Two had sunroofs is the general consensus. 035 is one of them. Both were sold by a dealership named "Zuber". 035 had a Zuber key chain. The other car is a known car but not sure of the number. GNX registry would know.