Should I stick with my TH400 or get a stout 2004r?

VERY, VERY stout 200's can be built now days for under $2,000.

I beg to differ. They'll hold up in the 10's but forget 9's. To me very stout should hold up in a low ten- high 9 second car

Originally posted by fast eddie
[Bthe 400 with a brake will lower you 60' times and improve your 1/4 mile times [/B]
You dont gain 60' or 1/4 et when going to a 400. You actually loose, and that is a fact. A 400 takes more HP to turn, and the 1st gear gearset is different where you will hit the tires softer than a 200.

Bottom line; if you take out a 200 with t-brake and put in a 400 with t-brake, you will go slower.

Originally posted by Six_Silver

Bottom line; if you take out a 200 with t-brake and put in a 400 with t-brake, you will go slower. [/B]

My 200 trans hit the trash can 3 years ago, switched to a 400 and my car went quicker. :confused: I was sick of going to the track and having the trans let go after a 10 passes. This is my fourth season with many street miles, 9&10 sec passes on the same trans. Stick with the 400 and forget about having trans issues and save some $$$$.

Maybe someone could step in with some info on how much their car slowed down with a 400.

Only problem with that is, you have 500 more ponies than him. His set up will go slower as he doesn't have enough power available.

Thanks for the info. I have a th400 with brake and 3400 stall already ordered and I trust the vendor that sold it to me. he said it would be as fast or faster just alittle less driveable. just thought I would see how past cars have reacted to this swap.

thanks

I agree, if you have a mid 11 sec car you'll probably go slower with a 400. If you're in the mid to low 10's you'll pick up. The numerically lower 1st gear will help the car when you're making over 500hp at the wheels.
I just got rid of a full billet 200 in favor of a 400. I couldn't keep it together. Like Dave said, you get tired of getting ten passes out of a tranny then having to rebuild it.
There's gotta be a reason the fastest TR's run 400's.

I don't mean exactly ten runs. I had a 200 built by one of the best in the country. That is the only tranny this builder uses in his stage car.

If you are making OVER 600hp at the wheels, don't waste your time with a 200 like I did. I speak from experience.

So even with a t-brake and a good launch a 11/12sec car wont make enough power to use the 2.42 first in a 400

It has nothing to do with being a doubting thomas. If I had a tranny shop with parts at my disposal I would do it too. Putting a 2004R tranny behind a 1300hp motor is not that impressive to me. Whats impressive is keeping it in their for a couple years with no issues is more impressive. I am guessing on this one but correct me if I am wrong. I am guessing that 1300hp is not the stock weight anymore like the mojority of full weight street cars that we are talking about (3600pounds). Weight kills. The 2004R is not the problem here. If I had my choice I would keep it too, the problem is reliability. These trannies cost a small fortune when you open these pricks up and start replacing s h i t. If I gotta spend over $800 a year on tranny problems I might aswell get something to elimunate the ooops factor and spend my money elsewhere on finessing my setup.

Originally posted by ILBCNU6
The 400 tranny isn't designed to run behind a Turbo Engine and the gear ratio spread is not ideal. (ask any Buick Tranny guy) A S2 Engine is another whole subject as the power band is much different than a 109 engine.

What does the block have to do with the power band.:confused:

So even with a t-brake and a good launch a 11/12sec car wont make enough power to use the 2.42 first in a 400

has anyone put a 400 in a gn that ran 11/12s if so how did the car do thanks

A stock block engine doesn't compare to a Stage Engine or does it?

Look at top gun's sig. That says 9.5 @ 142mph with what????? Thats right a stock block fitted with good internals. Its one thing when you have direct experience with your claims, like obviously top gun has. 2004R is a tranny everyone would keep if it had the reliabilty of a 400.

The 400 tranny isn't designed to run behind a Turbo Engine and the gear ratio spread is not ideal.

You do what you gotta do the hard way, and once you find out that Bruce is more s h i t then substance you will end up doing the right thing after you spend a small fortune chasing your tail. I have seen many people go the 400 route for a reason. And they all say it was the best investment they ever made, because once its in the car, you can forget about it because it will rarely give you problems. I know my post may seem a little sharp but don't take offense to it because the internet carries no tone of voice, and it wasn't meant to be a slam to you. Good luck with your setup, and I hope you don't lose your shirt on that 2004R.

Yes, I knew someone about 9 years ago that put a 400 in a 12 sec car and it slowed it down about .3 sec in the quarter. He was not happy about it.

I see people saying it does or doesn't slow it down and speculate about what the different gear ratios do, but the FACT is that a 400 takes more HP, and weights more. The combo you list in Your sig says you have a very nice combo for at least high 11's and still be a very nice street car. If you put a 400 in you will lose OD and lockup. That will kill streetability. You DO NOT need a 400 until you are in the 9's.

I ran low 11's and a few high 10's for three years before I had to freshen up my 200. My friend running low 10's and a few 9.9's went a couple of years on his 200 with no problems. Maybe we are lucky, but I don't think it should be that hard to get a 200 to work right. I will be running mid 10's this year and I'm not worried about my tranny.

And for those that think a 400 will last forever, all I can say is. "There is no such thing as a free lunch". Yes they are more stout. No doubt. But they still need maintenance. And a 400 doesn't just fit right in where the 200 was. You need to modify the rear trans mount point. It's about 2 inches different, so the cross brace for the rear trans mount has to be moved. And shift linkage location is different, and so on. Obviously it can be done, but it isn't just a simple task.

Oh, and if you do put a 400 in, keep your 200 trans and cross brace. You might just decide you need them someday.

HTH

Your personal vendeta against anyone could lead to a lawsuit.

Personal vendeta?????lawsuit??????? Get a grip man. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, thats was mine. As for personal vendeta, thats ludicris. Its not in my nature to hold a grudge or to wrongly accuse someone. You need to look around and read "one of the FATHERS of ALL THE GOOD 200 PARTS" threads and see how many feathers he has ruffled in the Buick community. But thats neither here nor there. I didn't post looking for verbal combat either, sorry if you took it that way.

yes a BOP t-400 dose fit right in the trans mount dose need to be change the yoke is different,you need a vac line,big deal i never changed a trans in my life,not hard at all,put it in my self saved $150+ love my car now and can consintrate on the motor and not worry about the trans like you have to with the problem child 2004r,yes my 1/4 mile times inproved from 14.10 to 12.13 and when i get my 60' times in order high 11's no problem ,20mpg not bad at all. and when the 400 needs to get freshened about $500 will cover the whole job ;)

I think your the one that needs a cold drink and probably one of those left handed cigarettes to boot (puff puff pass). I said s h i t once and that was the only swear word I have used in this tread, lighten up man. Who are you? Louis Faracon?? This is the internet, if you have thin skin and can't handle someone elses view aside from yours I suggest you surf the net elsewhere, or loosen the top botton on your shirt before you sit down;)
BTW I am going to have a cold bevy thanks