You can type here any text you want

Ta Performance Valve Covers Hitting

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbomatt

Went to install low profile TA Performance valve covers last night. This is a new engine getting ready to go in. The covers are hitting my rockers.

Valve cover description says for use with roller rockers. I am using the Jesel style T & D roller rockers in conjunction with Champion aluminum heads.

The rockers are hitting on the front and rear cylinders only. The rockers to each side of the bolt hole are hitting at the top of the valve cover. They are hitting while the valve is closed only. There is a small step inside where the cover transitions from the bolt hole tube to the rest of the cover.

Has anyone else ran into this?

I am wondering if i can relieve some of the material inside the cover in this location to make it clear. I am unsure of the thickness here, doesn't seem to be much material. Would like to hear from anyone else that has done this. I'm afraid of grinding on it and having it still not work and then the covers can't be returned.

Also going to call TA Performance this morning.

probably not a whole heck of alot of people running that particular combo. You might need GN1 valve covers???

Spoke to TA Perf.

I spoke to Mike at TA Performance. He has not had any other reported problems. Mike was very helpful on the phone and seemed very concerned about the problem.

Come on you guys, I cannot believe that I am the first to have put this combo together. Some one else must have run into this. Please speak up. These are all commonly used parts.

After talking with Mike I am going to take some pictures of the covers where they are touching. I am then going to relieve the area with a grinder. I will then send the pictures to Mike and he will consider changing the mold to alleviate any further problems. Mike seemed very up front and helpful as I said before. He seems to be taking a very proactive approach to this.

I will post more as it develops.

Doesn't their website say they do NOT fit Champion aluminum heads? Assuming these are either the 1325 A or B valve covers?

Yeah you can go with the rjc spacers and be done with it, my set up is the ta covers with scorpion rockers. No problems.
you may could also use a thicker valve cover gasket like the felpro 1600 i think, that may give you a little more lift. i have stuck 2 stocks together as thats what the 1600 thickness is close to.

i had oil leak issues and found out after $50 in different gaskets that it was something else that was leaking:frown: and not the valve covers.

I dont know how much your hitting but these cheap alternatives are something you could try my ratio is 1.55 if that makes a difference.

Doesn't their website say they do NOT fit Champion aluminum heads? Assuming these are either the 1325 A or B valve covers?

Yes the web site does say that. I guess I am somewhat retarded for being surprised that they wouldn't fit. I ordered over the phone and never had the privledge of seeing the web site statement. Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me.:o

How about RJC valvecover spacers?

I did think of the spacers but geez $100 is like buying valve covers again. Have to think about that one.

Yeah you can go with the rjc spacers and be done with it, my set up is the ta covers with scorpion rockers. No problems.
you may could also use a thicker valve cover gasket like the felpro 1600 i think, that may give you a little more lift. i have stuck 2 stocks together as thats what the 1600 thickness is close to.

i had oil leak issues and found out after $50 in different gaskets that it was something else that was leaking:frown: and not the valve covers.

I dont know how much your hitting but these cheap alternatives are something you could try my ratio is 1.55 if that makes a difference.

Nice to hear that the RJC spacer will work. My rockers are 1.65. The 1.55 and 1.65 are the same rocker, the cup location is just moved to acheive the different ratio.

Thanks for the input all. I am going to post some pictures.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee193/mmiller25/2741.jpg

Above is a picture of the valve cover in question.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee193/mmiller25/27411.jpg

Above is a picture of the valve train setup.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee193/mmiller25/27412.jpg

Above is a view inside the cover. Black shows the area were corner of the rockers are touching. This is happening only on the top side of the cover at each respective bolt location.

I am going to have to do some serious measuring to see if there is enough material here to be removed. Won't get to it today.

I ran the Champion GN1's (before they cracked) with the TA valve covers and did not recall Dan saying there were any issues with this. I want to say (from memory) that my rocker arms have a radius on the tops and yours are square.

did you have a gasket in place when you checked ?

a thicker gasket (doubled up cork) might work
clearancing the arms seems easier

I ran the Champion GN1's (before they cracked) with the TA valve covers and did not recall Dan saying there were any issues with this. I want to say (from memory) that my rocker arms have a radius on the tops and yours are square.

What rocker arms did you use? Do you have any pictures of them. Maybe a little reshaping of the rocker is in order. Might be better than trying not to break through the valve cover while grinding it.

did you have a gasket in place when you checked ?

a thicker gasket (doubled up cork) might work
clearancing the arms seems easier

I had one of the felpro blue gaskets in place. Seems like I would need two or maybe even three to get enough space.

We use the Felpro 1600 gaskets which are thick cork, and have not had a problem with interference on Champion heads?:confused:

I would try them before grinding the VC's.

Yeah, I wouldn't grind the covers. Besides, i bet the thicker gasket would work,or just clearance the rockers. It looks like you are just a tad too close. Should be easy to fix.

Looks like it wouldnt take much. I agree with Nick get the Fel Pro 1600.

Steve

OK guys I just want to say thanks to all that have posted helping me with this.

Here are some more pictures I took tonight. One is with no gaskets and the bolts started so that gap can be seen. The other is with a blue cork Fel Pro gasket and also bolts started. I bought the gaskets a couple years ago and cannot recall if these are the 1600 gaskets. Someone please chime in on that.

I am working this weekend but plan to work on this Monday and/or Tuesday when I am off.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee193/mmiller25/274001.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee193/mmiller25/274002.jpg

1600s are 3/16 thick
looks like you're going to need to do a little grinding

try that rjc spacer with a blue gasket like you have, or put 2 1600s on there just for kicks to see how that looks.

I dont know if thats a 1600 it looks like it but all i know is if you buy a stock one $9.99 and put 2 together ,that may = the 1600 but even if it is just try 2 gaskets even if it is to see if it clearance.

I've been lurking through this post since it started so I'll finally put in my $.02. I see where it's hitting in the cover but where on the arm is it hitting? If it's just on one corner you could just shave a little off the corner without hurting the stregnth of the rocker.

Back