te-45a pull

turbo buicks

ESADAH!!!
hows the top end charge of a te-45a turbo on say my combo vs the 49? how much HP difference would i be lookin at? not saying id do it right now but ported heads and a cam are coming soon so.....

I have a TE45a and it pulls hard on the big end. You can see in my sig when i was running a stock converter 12 second passes at 123mph. I just got my tranny back along with a Precision converter hopefully i'll have some new track times soon. Anyway get you a set of ported heads good cam, bigger injectors and you will love that turbo. But you will at least need a 3600 stall converter. My Precision is a "5" disk "0" pump. You will be looking at $1000 for that converter.

Rob

i loved my te45a so much i had to buy a second one for another car- :eek:

it really pulls even with a nonlockup convertor-

my best was a 4.1 with a 4000 stall at 19 psi of boost went 119mph all day off idle starts- turned out to have a stock camshaft-

Originally posted by turbo buicks
4.1? you mean 4.1 liter engine?

yeah, i had a 4.1 .040 overbore and a te45a with a .85 housing.
the spoolup was faster than a good running TE44 with a 3000 stall.

i could blow regular radials thru 3rd gear off idle without spooling it up, then added the nittos and it would hook if i eased right into it-

Originally posted by turbo buicks
hows the top end charge of a te-45a turbo on say my combo vs the 49? how much HP difference would i be lookin at? not saying id do it right now but ported heads and a cam are coming soon so.....

Wait until you install the heads and cam before you expect any great benefit from the TE-45A. Also, the stock intercooler must be replaced with something much more capable.

yes nick the heads/cam will be first and a FMIC grifin custom i/c setup will be in place. with the 3K orange stripe i got in there right now at what rpm would you expect id hit full boost (say 20 psi) at?

Mine has a P Trim .63 Precion housing. On my untouched 136k mile stock engine it would pull like freight train in 2nd and 3rd gear. When I raced it last winter, the races that I won were all on the top end. I recently hurt a head gasket on it so it will be down for awhile. But I definitely recommend this turbo if you are willing to make the necessary torque convertor and fuel system upgrades.

I have the AC 9" #16930 converter. I was told when I bought it that it would stall at 3200-3600.
Will this converter be enough the get the car off the line with the TE 45a and a prec. housing?

Originally posted by Medbull
I have the AC 9" #16930 converter. I was told when I bought it that it would stall at 3200-3600.
Will this converter be enough the get the car off the line with the TE 45a and a prec. housing?

yes that is enough convertor if you dont have any exhaust leaks and a good computer chip-
my buddy is running that same convertor in his car with a t-brake, it spools to 10 psi on the foot brake in about 3-4 seconds on pumpgas with the te45a and MSD50's