thanks bruce, check these pics.

bird

Member
following the advice from bruce (pts). i removed the valve body and voila! crack around the housing that supports the anchor pin for the band(see arrow). this should be the reason why my convertor went from a 3300-3400 stall to a 4500+. funny thing is the trans worked perfectly otherwise. has anyone else ever had this happen? even though this happened just after the trans brake install(stage right) bruce assured me it probably had nothing to do with it and the case must have just become fatigued.
once again thanks bruce for all your help. you really went out of your way for me.
richard
 

Attachments

  • cracked trans case 001.jpg
    cracked trans case 001.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 270
  • cracked trans case 002.jpg
    cracked trans case 002.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 233
  • cracked trans case 003.jpg
    cracked trans case 003.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 225
that is something i have not seen either.what pressure regulation system do you have?do you have cushion spring or return spring on the servo?how large is the 2nd feed hole.?did the assembler bang the pin in because it was crooked?although that is in an unsupported area of the case im sure some of my questions will point to an answer possibly as to the cause.
 
chris718 said:
that is something i have not seen either.what pressure regulation system do you have?do you have cushion spring or return spring on the servo?how large is the 2nd feed hole.?did the assembler bang the pin in because it was crooked?although that is in an unsupported area of the case im sure some of my questions will point to an answer possibly as to the cause.
chris, i wish i new a little more about trannys. the only thing i know is the pin moves freely in the bore. no sign of force. the trans was built by mike at century trans in 2001. worked perfect until the brake install. trans has all the goodies.
 
bird said:
chris, i wish i new a little more about trannys. the only thing i know is the pin moves freely in the bore. no sign of force. the trans was built by mike at century trans in 2001. worked perfect until the brake install. trans has all the goodies.

mike usually will use a "no yo yo" shift kit and modifies it a tiny bit if i remember correctly. Also uses the billet servos . Combined with a loose pin and some good line pressure i guess it happens. I wallowed out the pin hole way back a few years ago(also sent a servo pin through one of the original non-reinforced alto wide bands) using an art carr shift kit and sonnax super servo. Combined with some really good line pressure it hit like no other. Bruce at PTS made a .010 over 300m anchor pin for me and i changed over to a CK shift kit and 200 3 spd servo and haven't had a problem since.
 
JDSfastGN said:
mike usually will use a "no yo yo" shift kit and modifies it a tiny bit if i remember correctly. Also uses the billet servos . Combined with a loose pin and some good line pressure i guess it happens. I wallowed out the pin hole way back a few years ago(also sent a servo pin through one of the original non-reinforced alto wide bands) using an art carr shift kit and sonnax super servo. Combined with some really good line pressure it hit like no other. Bruce at PTS made a .010 over 300m anchor pin for me and i changed over to a CK shift kit and 200 3 spd servo and haven't had a problem since.
mikes tranny has held up great. lots of abuse (see sig). i guess somethings got to give sometime. ive got the trans at a local shop for the case replace and maybe a refresh. i just hope it doesnt happen again. kind of worries me that this all took place after i installed the trans brake.
btw. whats a "no yo yo" shift kit?
 
Sorry for the delay

Been recovering at home this weekend.
I see you got help so like everybody else, I think it to be a strange one. Fix it and move on is your only choice now. Just thank your lucky stars you found it.
It could have been worse such as you take it apart and find nothing. Then the head scratching starts.
Recase and go.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

You know where to find me.
 
WE4 said:
Been recovering at home this weekend.
I see you got help so like everybody else, I think it to be a strange one. Fix it and move on is your only choice now. Just thank your lucky stars you found it.
It could have been worse such as you take it apart and find nothing. Then the head scratching starts.
Recase and go.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

You know where to find me.
bruce, thanks again.
 
update.

just got the trans back from a local shop (milton trans). everything inside looked sweet, a couple of steels were a little worn.. just swapped eveything into a new case. i will be installing it some time this weekend and hopefully the stall speed is back to normal. i will update then. the crack was bleeding presure off from the port that goes to the direct forward clutch into the case cavity. the rebuilder said this is the 1st time he had seen a crack thier as well.
 
Back
Top