Time to go stage II with A/C!

I think they are 5.5" inches long SS. STOCK GM valves.

OK new problem, I never really checked the piston to valve radial clearance, is this important, I have about .100 exh and .120 " right now. vertical clearance though and I have dished pistons no valve relief's at all in them. Should I be concerned?

OK no secrets here............

stage2 cam.jpg

I did check the clearance, but I have no way to check radial clearance, I doubt I have .050 from the vale to the bore even. I'm not going to worry about it, this is just a test mule motor, if it doesn;t make 800 rwhp its coming out in a heartbeat.

Update, heads are on, fixing some issues with valve covers, and intake. Might have the intake on tomorrow, if all goes well.

norbs said:
Update, heads are on, fixing some issues with valve covers, and intake. Might have the intake on tomorrow, if all goes well.

Makin progress! Anxiously awaiting you getting this thing together!

How about some pictures.:D
After 6 hours of measuring shims for rockers and grinding the heads and taping up the block I managed to get 1 side of the rocker together.........:oops: Did a quick leakdown test numbers are coming in 12-14% so that means the head gaskets are sealing at least! I highly suggest you buy this leakdown tester I love it.
pushrodsin.jpg

images

What caused you to have issues with the rocker assembly geometry? The leakdown test doesn't lie does it? I bought one several years ago.

What caused you to have issues with the rocker assembly geometry? The leakdown test doesn't lie does it? I bought one several years ago.

Valve installed height over 2". New problem the valve covers won;t fit they hit the intake.

Darn. It never ends my friend. I just went out and looked at mine. What's hitting?

The valve cover sealing surface is hitting the top of the intake slightly.... I cut down the covers a bit but the proper thing is to mill the intake surface, but I can;t do that now...so when I tighten the covers they will pinch between the gasket and intake surface. That gasket is resting on the intake not flat.
valve gasket copy.JPG

Try and locate a thick cork gasket for the valve covers and then you don't have to worry about shaving the intake or the valve cover, or double up on the ones you do have.

I have some 3/8" aluminum stage 2 valve cover flanges. You could machine one of them to clear the intake and put it between the valve cover and head. I could probably machine it for you if you can pull a dimension between the bolt hole and intake flange face.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, but I just ground down the intake, and taped up the head. I can;t get the valve cover to sit any higher, since it will hit the heater box, so I really had no choice but hack the intake a bit.:(

UPDATE: I been all day working on the valve cover situation, I've managed to cut the gaskets and covers so that it will work out. I've installed the quick fuel breather hold downs so I won't get any oil leaks I hope...here is how they look........

793-100-1.jpg

Here's how they look on the VC.............. and here is the 1st coat of paint on the heater box, still looks kind of rough in spots, but how fussy should I be on it?
vc1done.jpg
htr.bx.JPG