TSA race results?

Red won. From what I heard, there were some FAST cars, Red went 10.96, someone else went 10's, and there were afew in the low 11's.

Thanks. It is amazing how fast the TSA cars are now going and I am surprised that more people don't enter. The pay out is the best of any class.

Bill Thompson was the first to break into the 10's with a 10.91 Red was next both done durring qualifying. John Tubbs went a 10.98 on race day. Red won Bill got 2nd John 3rd and Kip 4th. Congrats to all

Clay

Bill Thompson was the first to break into the 10's with a 10.91 Red was next both done durring qualifying. John Tubbs went a 10.98 on race day. Red won Bill got 2nd John 3rd and Kip 4th. Congrats to all

Clay
Hey Clay,
Did you race this year? How many participants in TSA this year?
Did Richard Clark make an offer on any of the 10 sec cars??

Hi Steve
Well lets say I tried to race. I broke an axel on the launch against John in round one. There were 5 cars again this year. To the best of my knowlege no offers were made. I only saw Richard once on Friday.

Clay

Hey Clay,
Did you race this year? How many participants in TSA this year?
Did Richard Clark make an offer on any of the 10 sec cars??
I was unable to stay for the actual racing due to business commitments related to the DNA lab but it was great to hear that finally we saw not one but three totally stock appearing TR's in the 10's----------one of them ran a 10 second pass within a couple hours of winning gold in the concours car show---------thats almost unheard of and when i first proposed that the cars should "show and go" I was told no one would ever consider it -----------really hate that I missed that great milestone in TR history---------from the very beginning it was a dream of mine that this was possible and I felt that offering a good purse would help to motivate the innovaters to achieve just that---------at this point 2 things stand out in my mind very clearly----------I remember reading in Turbo and high tech performance mag in 1990 where they described Ken Duttweiler as a "magic man" because he was running 10's with a 6 cylinder stage engine buick in a lightened race car with all sorts of exotic equipment----------i also remember that when i first posted the rules and proposed this class that several nay sayers including one self righteous expert posted the following response: "this is the dumbest idea for a class ever, it is clear that the person who came up with this class knows nothing about TR's and all that is going to result from this is a bunch of really slow cars going down the track"----------with more than one 10 second car not only has it resulted in some fast cars (these are truly street cars and 10 seconds in a fully equipped stock looking car is respectable by any measure) but it has also resulted in some great racing action---------the difference in first place and second place was 17 thousands of a second--------it took 4 years and nearly $50k in prize money but finally we can say a stock looking TR can run 10's.....................RC

Truly a great achievement! All the competitors in this class deserve a lot of respect.

I have liked this class from all the way back to its early days with Mike Kurtz and Pat Kelly. I wish I could have been there for the 10 second runs.

Congrats to all!

Bob

First of all a BIG Thank You to Richard Clark for Sponsoring a Great Race Class!!!
Congrats to all the Racers for their amazing performance! It was truly worth the 800 mile round trip to witness Thumper, Red and John break the 10 second barrier!

Attachments

• 2012 GS Nationals 014.JPG
    2012 GS Nationals 014.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 273
  • 2012 GS Nationals 013.JPG
    2012 GS Nationals 013.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 257
  • 2012 GS Nationals 023.JPG
    2012 GS Nationals 023.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 252
  • 2012 GS Nationals 025.JPG
    2012 GS Nationals 025.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 254
  • 2012 GS Nationals 024.JPG
    2012 GS Nationals 024.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 278
Hi Steve
Well lets say I tried to race. I broke an axel on the launch against John in round one. There were 5 cars again this year. To the best of my knowlege no offers were made. I only saw Richard once on Friday.

Clay
Clay, sorry to hear about the axle, hope all is good other than that incident. I am sure you would have been in there again! What will next year bring? 10.5 :)
Good luck, Steve

Here's Red launching towards that 10.96 in qualifying in his rolling living room couch. :eek:
Red-2012-Nats-runs-10s.jpg

All the cars in TSA were extremely impressive. Running in the 10's for a street car is very FAST and especially being stock appearing. The final between Red and Bill was exciting - a very close race. The cars appeared to leave just about equal on the start. Congratulations to Red for the win (the original stock appearing master) and Bill for a very close race and setting the class low E.T. at 10.91. Wow!

Craig

Thanks to Richard Clark for his generosity and determination to keep TSA going. All of the cars were running strong, 3 cars above 120s the others were approximately 115-118 and improving every pass. I have pics showing Clay, Red and myself pulling the front wheel on our launches, track was hooking and the cool air was perfect so several great runs were made. Congrats to Red, John, Kip and Clay all are excellent competitors. I have to wonder what the future may hold for TSA now that the high tens became reality?

Thanks
Bill

TSA RESULTS AT BOWLING GREEN- 19 OCT 2012.

The day started out with the temperature in the low 50's, high humidity and winds of 15 to 20 mph. Not very nice. Five cars showed up for Richard Clark's TSA shootout. They were Red Armstrong from Ohio, Bill Thompson from Kentucky, Clay Arnold from Indiana, John Tubbs from Wisconsin, and Kip Asplund also from Indiana. Tech inspections started at 1 PM and all vehicles were subject to a 113 point checklist. All vehicles passed tech inspection.

All vehicles must qualify with an ET of at least 13.2, in order to be eligible to participate. There were three qualification runs during Friday afternoon. In the first qualification event, the following times were posted:
Clay 11.77
Red 11.55
Bill 11.135
John 12.738
Kip 11.672
The second qualifying event was:
Clay 11.485
Red 11.02
Bill 10.914 *** Bill Thompson breaks the 11 second barrier!!! What a blast! Outstanding!
John 11.20
Kip 12.326
The third and last qualifying event of the day recorded:
Clay 11.028 @ 115.13 mph
Red 10.966 @ 122.48 mph *** Now Red Armstrong breaks the barrier!!! WOW!!!
Bill 11.154 @ 121.55 mph
John 11.111 @ 120.0 mph
Kip 13.177 @ 112.69 mph (This ended qualifying events on Friday)

Saturday started out sunny and warmer in the morning but as the day wore on it got very cloudy and colder. Almost a repeat of Friday with, again, high humidity. Final eliminations commenced with Clay being paired with John, and Clay broke an axel!! Really tough luck. John cruised to an ET of 11.038 and 119.67 mph. Next, Red was paired with Kip, and Red posted an ET of 11.034 @ 122.72 mph while Kip hit an 11.839 at 114.70 mph. That left Bill with a bye and he cruised to an ET of 11.405 at 120.14 mph. That wrapped up the action on the first round of eliminations.

The second round of eliminations paired Bill with John and Bill took the win with an ET of 11.175 @ 119.84 to John's ET of 10.985!!! at 120.87 mph. But Bill's reaction time was .266 seconds to John's time of .462. Thus, Bill got to the traps first even though John now also broke the 11 second barrier!! Bill's win was only .0062 seconds (62 thousandths of a second) over John!!! Another cliff hanger! And another 10+ second run. In two days of racing in TSA Class, three different cars break the 11 second barrier. What an achievement! What great racing, and with full bodied Regals with plush interiors and all with functioning AC!!! The top three cars all weighed within 15 pounds of each other (3525 to 3540 pounds).

Now, as they say, the pressure was really on in the third round of eliminations. It was Red paired with Bill. Both cars weighed within five pounds of each other at launch on the line. When the smoke cleared, Red had the win with an ET of 11.076 at 121.91 mph to Bill's 11.093 at 119.23 mph. Only 17 thousandths of a second separated the two cars! Talk about close! Also, Reds reaction time was .278 to Bill's rt of .275! What a race!
(At the end of each elimination event, all cars were weighed and checked under the hood for any unauthorized items, and those with a second O2 cat bung were checked for required plugs).

For their efforts, Red's share of the prize for winning was $5,000, with Bill cashing in with $2,500, John with $1,250 and Kip with $600. Not bad for two days work! In addition, Bill's car earned a Gold Certificate in the Concours judging event. Thats worth another $1,000! Congratulations to all!

On another note, if you pick up a copy of the Nov 2012 issue of Road & Track magazine, they have a table that compares 1/4 mile times of all U.S. made
performance cars and some exotic foreign machinery. No U.S made vehicle matches what the above '86/'87 Regals (24 and 25 year old cars) did at Bowling Green last week! Now thats something, but we really already knew that, didn't we. What a show, three Regals in full street trim breaking into the 10's! Awesome! Unbelievable! Except for Richard. He knew that it could be done. And now three guys just go out and do it!

Richard expresses his thanks to all TSA participants for their ingenuity, dedication, knowledge and perseverance in going after the 10+ second goal! You have done an amazing thing here. Congratulations to all and another tip of my hat to Red, Clay, Bill, John, and Kip for their participation and sportsmanship. Great competitors and great cars! Remember, John's car could not pass tech two years ago. So, what does he do? Last year he came back and not only passed tech, but he took second place! Then this year he blasts into the tens! What is this guy going to do next! I can't wait!

The Colonel

That black & chrome car is BEAUTIFUL!! Is that John Tubbs car?

K.

I was unable to stay for the actual racing due to business commitments related to the DNA lab but it was great to hear that finally we saw not one but three totally stock appearing TR's in the 10's----------one of them ran a 10 second pass within a couple hours of winning gold in the concours car show---------thats almost unheard of and when i first proposed that the cars should "show and go" I was told no one would ever consider it -----------really hate that I missed that great milestone in TR history---------from the very beginning it was a dream of mine that this was possible and I felt that offering a good purse would help to motivate the innovaters to achieve just that---------at this point 2 things stand out in my mind very clearly----------I remember reading in Turbo and high tech performance mag in 1990 where they described Ken Duttweiler as a "magic man" because he was running 10's with a 6 cylinder stage engine buick in a lightened race car with all sorts of exotic equipment----------i also remember that when i first posted the rules and proposed this class that several nay sayers including one self righteous expert posted the following response: "this is the dumbest idea for a class ever, it is clear that the person who came up with this class knows nothing about TR's and all that is going to result from this is a bunch of really slow cars going down the track"----------with more than one 10 second car not only has it resulted in some fast cars (these are truly street cars and 10 seconds in a fully equipped stock looking car is respectable by any measure) but it has also resulted in some great racing action---------the difference in first place and second place was 17 thousands of a second--------it took 4 years and nearly $50k in prize money but finally we can say a stock looking TR can run 10's.....................RC

Thank you Mr. Clark for being the biggest driving force behind such an amazing feet! I remember the nay sayers too, LMAO!

THANKS for everything you do in this community!