You can type here any text you want

Turning up the wick

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

getdowngranny

Mr. Fix It
Ok. So, I will be hitting the track next weekend and want to turn it up a bit. I know how to do but need some advice. My sig explains my mods. I have a TT alky chip and 60lbs injectors. I want to safely turn it up at the track. I am currently running the chip as it came at 25 psi and alky knob at 5 with zero knock. Should I leave the chip alone and come up on boost and alky or should I raise the timing and fuel in the chip? If I add 1-2 degrees across the board, how much fuel should I add across the board to compensate for the timing but still taking advantage of the timing increase? The car runs strong and clean as is but I want to take it a bit further. Any recepies would be greatly appreciated.

times in my sig were run at low timing , after 1 sec into run (once it reached running boost at 29#) it was 16* for the rest of the pass
turn the timing down and get the fueling straightened out , if you want to add timing you can but any gains wont be worth the risks.
my a/f was low 10s

times in my sig were run at low timing , after 1 sec into run (once it reached running boost at 29#) it was 16* for the rest of the pass
turn the timing down and get the fueling straightened out , if you want to add timing you can but any gains wont be worth the risks.
my a/f was low 10s
Ok so here is what I gather:
1. Turn up boost
2. Take some timing out
3. Compensate for the lower timing by adjusting my fuel keeping an eye out for knock and raise fuel as needed

Is this correct?

timing has nothing to do with fueling , one doesnt follow the other unless you are talking about race fueland then the timing is needed to give it time to burn and peak at the right time .
if you push the boost and get the fueling lean having the timing up can make a bad situation much worse

timing has nothing to do with fueling , one doesnt follow the other unless you are talking about race fueland then the timing is needed to give it time to burn and peak at the right time .
if you push the boost and get the fueling lean having the timing up can make a bad situation much worse
Got it. Ill do a baseline pass to see what I got after some changes I have made the past few weeks then I will turn up the boost slowly and pull timing and adjust fuel as needed.

Imop, start timing low. Set boost to desired level then adjust timing up from there

I would start with a new chip the timing already burned in and I agree with Paul on the timing and target. Worst case scenario it will be too rich till you turn it up. Assuming you already verified the timing. If you haven't verified timing then I wouldn't go any further till you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to the track today and did some baseline passes today and I was surprised what this little stock motor can do. These passes were on the 1/8 mile.

I set the chip down to 18* across the board
Set boost at 25
Left the fuel alone
Set the alky knob at 4

The car ran a 7.12@ 98mph
1.6 60 foot leaving on 4psi of boost

Next pass was a 7.22 at 96mph with a 1.8 60ft.

I wonder what the car would do without the extra 300 or so pounds of music in the trunk and with some ported heads.

Last edited:
That's moving pretty good. Do you have a stock transmission pan, and are you running the fluid about a quart over, I bet it's sucking air once in third causing the directs to slip, hopefully you didn't damage it doesn't take much to cook the clutches.

That's moving pretty good. Do you have a stock transmission pan, and are you running the fluid about a quart over, I bet it's sucking air once in third causing the directs to slip, hopefully you didn't damage it doesn't take much to cook the clutches.
I have a deep pan and I did overfill it at the track before racing.

I went to the track today and did some baseline passes today and I was surprised what this little stock motor can do. These passes were on the 1/8 mile.

I set the chip down to 18* across the board
Set boost at 25
Left the fuel alone
Set the alky knob at 4

The car ran a 7.12@ 98mph
1.6 60 foot leaving on 4psi of boost

Next pass was a 7.22 at 96mph with a 1.8 60ft.

I wonder what the car would do without the extra 300 or so pounds of music in the trunk and with some ported heads.

What are your mods? Those are some good numbers for stock heads.
Yes, these are unported heads, stock crank, stock rods, and stock pistons. I know others have gone faster on stock parts and unported heads. I was just surprised it pulled the numbers it did with the mild tune I had in it and with the transmission flaring really bad between 2nd and 3rd gear. My car is really heavy with all the music in the truck also. I never got a chance to "turn up the wick" because I did not want to be towed home.

Last edited:
Back