You can type here any text you want

Upgrading my brakes, which Master cylinder should I use?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ttypewhite

I am in the process of upgrading my brakes. So far I have the following parts in the basement:

-Wilwood portioning valve
-S10 4 piston front brake assembly
-Wilwood back disc brake setup

Question is, what master cylinder should I use with this? Kinda torn between Hydroboost or manual brakes.
Its not a daily driver, but it is a 100% street car with the occassional rip at the track.

I used an '87 Monte Carlo master & booster. I was told that the MC master cylinder bore diameter is 15/16" which is often recommended for aftermarket brake systems. Seems to work just fine. Everything else in my brake system is stock. You will also need to change the brake pedal to a vacuum assist pedal.

~JM~

I converted over to manual brakes when my powermaster unit took a dump.

I upgraded to Wilwood 4 wheel disc brakes and Master Cylinder. My GN is not a daily driver. It's street driven and sees some track time. The brakes work really well and has a firm pedal. It has plenty off stopping power and holds good at the starting line.

John

Mike,

When going with aftermarket brake systems the master cylinder bore size is Very Important! It is always best to find out what the aftermarket manufacture recommends for a "Bore Size" on the master cylinder! Other master cylinder bore sizes WILL WORK "But" it will not result in the Optimum Performance of the brake system..

Example: As mentioned above the Monte Carlo ss vacuum brake master cylinder has a 15/16" bore size which is recommended by BAER brakes. Not sure what Wilwood recommends for the bore size but I would go with whatever they recommend..

Scot W.

May I ask why you don't like the idea of vacuum assist?

Thanks
~JM~

Just a personal preference, Had it in my old car and didn't like it. Not sure I would feel comfortable going 150+mph in the qtr with a big cam and looking to see if I would have enough vaccum to stop the car.........

Mike,

When going with aftermarket brake systems the master cylinder bore size is Very Important! It is always best to find out what the aftermarket manufacture recommends for a "Bore Size" on the master cylinder! Other master cylinder bore sizes WILL WORK "But" it will not result in the Optimum Performance of the brake system..

Example: As mentioned above the Monte Carlo ss vacuum brake master cylinder has a 15/16" bore size which is recommended by BAER brakes. Not sure what Wilwood recommends for the bore size but I would go with whatever they recommend..

Scot W.

Thanks Scot, I will look into that.

Mike,

I did a Hydratech hydro boost on mine. One of the best mods I ever did to the car. I replaced all lines, put new rear s10 cylinders, all new hardware and rebuilt front calipers. The car really stops great. Plenty power assist. Have to be careful on panic stops.

RL

Just a personal preference, Had it in my old car and didn't like it. Not sure I would feel comfortable going 150+mph in the qtr with a big cam and looking to see if I would have enough vaccum to stop the car.........

Good reason. Now you have renewed some of my original concerns about vacuum brakes. Nobody really talks about how the vacuum assist may not function.

~JM~

Back