Using TPI set up out of 88-91 Z28?

I will defintaly look into that gen 3 for sure. As long as it is basic!

Jesse, I'm sticking with a Buick, I had the 1 442 and 3 Monte SS but there is nothing like a Buick! If you do spot anything, let me know!!!!

I'll keep my eyes peeled! Mental note: find jeremy an 81-87 that isn't full of holes...got it:biggrin:

eBay Motors: Buick : Regal (item 120301914029 end time Sep-11-08 08:54:38 PDT)

Looks like in good shape. No motor or trans. Needs limited seats put back in though and it's clear out in NY. I wonder what the underneath looks like???? Be a good car though. Already set up for chevy v8 and had OD trans from factory. Too bad it wasn't a little closer. Put your stuff in and go! Even got some cool hubcaps

I have been checking that car out ever since it popped up on Ebay! But, the darn thing is just too far away, the cost to ship it would be outrageous! Oh well, I'm sure something will come up soon. I've got to get the Limited done for now anyways!

Jeremy, If you are going to use the TPI, try to get your hands on a Typhoon / Cyclone ECM as they work much better. If you can get a Stealth Ram, they work better than a stock TPI:cool:

Jason

Does the Sy/Ty Ecm just plug right into the TPI harness? Would LOVE to put a PT51 on the elky (GTA Drivetrain), but never could figure out how to do the ecm without going with something like DFI. Figured I'd have to do a FMU and bigger injectors, then have the chip burned with a lower timing table. Didn't realize that firebird from the CarCraft mag had such a thread going on turbomustangs.com.

Does the Sy/Ty Ecm just plug right into the TPI harness? Would LOVE to put a PT51 on the elky (GTA Drivetrain), but never could figure out how to do the ecm without going with something like DFI. Figured I'd have to do a FMU and bigger injectors, then have the chip burned with a lower timing table. Didn't realize that firebird from the CarCraft mag had such a thread going on turbomustangs.com.

I'm not 100% sure but if not, Caspers can make you a plug and play adapter :)

The TPI intake is a very long runner design that is made for torque under 4000rpms. I wouldnt use that intake as they fall off over 4500rpm. A much better choice would be the LT1/or LT4 intake. But the heads would need to be the same design (LT1)

Come to think of it jeremy, maybe an lt1 would be a better choice than an old tpi motor. I don't know if you've ever driven a tpi car but they just don't pull on top end. They literally feel like they stop after 4500. They burn the sh!t out of tires though:biggrin: I would think an lt1 could be had cheap. Check out ls1lt1.com I've seen complete lt1s go for 500 bucks.

I have a complete drivetrain from an early 90's Corvette available too. No woring harness though. Would this be a better choice? Are these LT1 motors? How hard would the wiring, computer, etc be to swap them? Right now I could get my hands on a 4 bolt 350 from the early 70's or this Vette motor. I know the TPI stuff is all over the boneyard.

I am also in the planning stages of a very low low budget turbo TPI set up. I was hoping to steal some of your ideas.:mad:
But what ever way you go keep us posted.
I think I will stay with my TPI plans for now as it looks like the cheapest way to go plus like you said the parts are all over the place for cheap and I am not looking to brake any speed records I just want to get into the low elevens on a Daily driven set up.

where are you planning on mounting the turbos?
I am thinking of mounting the turbos under the car.

It should be lt1. I think they put the lt1 in 91 and ls1 in 96??? close, but I don't know. I know waay more about 3rd gens than 4th. The corvette typically has better flowing heads and manifolds. Usually 20-30 hp over fbody. The lt1 has a nice even torque curve. My t/a feels like a nutless wonder though off idle, but once it gets up it doesn't stop pulling like my tpi car did. They seem like exact opposites to me. I can't even get my car to burn the tires half the time unless I nail it hard from a dead stop. A cold air kit and some exhaust should change that! you should be able to score a wiring harness and computer cheap off that board. I dont' think there is a whole lot involed in the swap but I could be wrong. There is/was a board member on here than put an lt1 setup in a regal. He used pretty much all the stuff from the donor car including manifolds and y with dual cats from a t/a. Only thing is you will have to have the vats deleted or you can cheat it but it would be much more simple to delete it. 93s still have chips and standard 700 trans. 94up have to be flashed and also have electronic trans. 94-95 I believe has a kit available to convert the opti cap to vented if you wish to do so. THere should be plenty of room to mount even 2 turbos under the hood of a regal, I know it's been done on a 3rd gen tpi car. Don't know if it had a/c still though. The wife's got the t/a today. I kinda feel like going out and beating on it now:rolleyes:

F-bodys used TPIs from '85-'92, then LT1 from '93-'97, LS1 started in '98.
Vettes used TPIs from '85 - '91, LT1 from '92-'96, LS1 started in '97.

If you can pick up the TPI engine cheap enough, just use the shortram intake on it, makes it look very similar to a LT1 intake, and adds a little breath to the upper end too.