Walbro Fuel Pump Update

I have a question that will go a little off base here - please do not yell at me...

I just ran my car at Reynolds and it ran like crap. I had been battling a lean problem for a few weeks and thought my NB O2 sensor may have been causing it and replaced it with a Denso. I am dumping alcohol into my pipe to barely keep at 11.2. My car was breaking up on the upper end and losing power. I put a gauge in visable range during a run, and I had 58 lbs of fuel pressure and I should be at 24 lbs boost, but my boost gauge is fluttering like crazy.

I have a recently installed Greddy Spec II controller that worked solid a few weeks ago. Looking at my powerlogger run, my boost (from the MAP - correct?) was pretty solid across without fluctuations like what I saw on my manual gauge. Could the possibility of having to spray soo much alcohol to keep from being lean from a defective pump be my problem and cause a power loss? My duty cycle was like 90. I am going to post a help thread to inquire about this.

I was going to try replacing my fuel pump - but it is an unopened from FTS of these pumps and I dared not to.

Thanks in advance...

Mike

I hope that your head gaskets are ok. My car was doing the exact same thing and i got a headgasket:mad: it's now pressurizeing the coolant tank under boost. thanks walbro

I have a question that will go a little off base here - please do not yell at me...

I just ran my car at Reynolds and it ran like crap. I had been battling a lean problem for a few weeks and thought my NB O2 sensor may have been causing it and replaced it with a Denso. I am dumping alcohol into my pipe to barely keep at 11.2. My car was breaking up on the upper end and losing power. I put a gauge in visable range during a run, and I had 58 lbs of fuel pressure and I should be at 24 lbs boost, but my boost gauge is fluttering like crazy.

I have a recently installed Greddy Spec II controller that worked solid a few weeks ago. Looking at my powerlogger run, my boost (from the MAP - correct?) was pretty solid across without fluctuations like what I saw on my manual gauge. Could the possibility of having to spray soo much alcohol to keep from being lean from a defective pump be my problem and cause a power loss? My duty cycle was like 90. I am going to post a help thread to inquire about this.

I was going to try replacing my fuel pump - but it is an unopened from FTS of these pumps and I dared not to.

Thanks in advance...

Mike
Hi Mike! This is Scot W. and I spoke to you in reynolds. Well at 24lbs of boost and your fuel pressure set to 42lbs (line off) at full boost you should be seeing around 66lbs of fuel pressure.

Also Julio likes to see the alky cars around 10:8 A/F.

Does the gauge pressure drop?

If not try adjusting the regulator to achieve the 66lbs at WOT and if it drops instead of holding steady ( Pump is bad!)

SO, let me see if I got this anywhere close to correct: Walbro will 1) test my pump for 5-minutes or so, say it's OK, & not authorize replacement thereof,,,but
2) my pump may likely pass this "simple test"--but still stop/seize up on-the-road about 1-2hr into "a trip" & leave me stranded,,,
3) as it did 6-times during a recent 2-hr trip ,,,and
4) my F'in...169 pump was manufactured well prior to 2nd Qtr 08--what's that magical crap date,,,and finally

5) I would therefore likely be a Charter Member of a "lynch mob" that's likely to be formed as a result...:eek:

X2
mine will still turn but only untill it heats up then kaput...same numbers same date etc...i want my damn money back or a diff one period.
it left me damn near stranded 60 miles from home...good thing Brent was behind me and followed the car back to the house and real good thing Mike Wiley had extra pump I could swap out in a pinch.

well guys

I pulled the motor out of the GN today and man my headgaskets are not purdy. The gaskets are scorched thru the fire ring. this was done @ 22psi with high octane gas. I showed no knock at all it just went lean thanks to a crappy pump.

SloGN, stop with your "HYSTERIA" stories and these so called headgasket issues. You're going to scare others away from buying the pump and help warn them. :rolleyes:

SloGN, stop with your "HYSTERIA" stories and these so called headgasket issues. You're going to scare others away from buying the pump and help warn them. :rolleyes:

well someone can call it what they want. but those gaskets didn't fail for no reason. nore does the fuel pressure fail off for a reson ubless.........

well guys

I pulled the motor out of the GN today and man my headgaskets are not purdy. The gaskets are scorched thru the fire ring. this was done @ 22psi with high octane gas. I showed no knock at all it just went lean thanks to a crappy pump.

Pat, I guess I was LUCKY when my F'in...169 had multiple deaths (at least as many as a cat) during my recent AFair trip to/from CLT--and I was way too concerned about just completing the trip & TOO AFRAID to beat-on-it.

I just wanted to click-my-heels & be home...

Pat, I guess I was LUCKY when my F'in...169 had multiple deaths (at least as many as a cat) during my recent AFair trip to/from CLT--and I was way too concerned about just completing the trip & TOO AFRAID to beat-on-it.

I just wanted to click-my-heels & be home...

Mine died 9 times on way home as well...i was clicking heels and rubbing the dash
id pull over, bang on the tank and make it another few miles. just glad i made it down to FL from Mich though...i think a total of 2k on this pump before El Poop'o

Oh and my compression test a couple of weeks ago was not purdy either..prolly due to a pump that should have worked but was not under boost...hmmmmmm

Mike

I have yet to see a press release on Walbro's website about the failures... WHY? Why wouldn't they warn those that have bought their product?

FTS, why aren't you standing behind the product on your shelves? My pump was a few months old and you weren't willing to do anything, other than tell me to be patient, as you wait for Walbro.

guys.. just in case 99% of you missed this post :rolleyes: :eek: :p

This all sounds great and I appreciate Mikes efforts. But what does a person do until then? The most fustrating point is that nobody with one of these pumps can run their car now and we have absolutley no idea when it will be taken care of.

I myself discovered over the weekend at the Reynolds event that my currently used pump in the tank (maybe 6 - 8 months of use) has the exact problem with only 58 lbs of pressure. And lucky me... I have a BRAND NEW pump from FTS in the box unopened that I can't put in because it can have the same problem anytime. What do I do now? I need to get another pump in my car, and need to work it through another route. Besides that, almost the entire turbo community is crippled now due to this known failure. It really seems like there is not anywhere enough prompness on this issue.

Just my opinion

Mike

same here, i've been having a problem with the pump for awhile now. but i can't spare any money for something else, so i'm parked. but i'm thankful mike did something to get us new pumps, and i'll just keep waiting and checking here until he says they are ready.

This all sounds great and I appreciate Mikes efforts. But what does a person do until then? The most fustrating point is that nobody with one of these pumps can run their car now and we have absolutley no idea when it will be taken care of.

I myself discovered over the weekend at the Reynolds event that my currently used pump in the tank (maybe 6 - 8 months of use) has the exact problem with only 58 lbs of pressure. And lucky me... I have a BRAND NEW pump from FTS in the box unopened that I can't put in because it can have the same problem anytime. What do I do now? I need to get another pump in my car, and need to work it through another route. Besides that, almost the entire turbo community is crippled now due to this known failure. It really seems like there is not anywhere enough prompness on this issue.

Just my opinion

Mike

I did not count the no. of times it was actually posted already in this thread alone (certainly more than three)--but just get a GSS340M/ kit (kit # pending model year--elec conn's) from Racetronix & move-on (damn all the torpedoing--full pressure ahead)!

There have not been all the F'in...169 problems with this Walbro/Racetronix pump & they have plenty in supply--let's just get on with it...

Then, after (if) you get your ...169 replacement from Walbro--you can keep it as a spare. Personally, I'm not just whining or holding my breath in the interim...

I put a Aeromotive 1000 a few months back when I started seeing a problem. Since then not a lick of knock and rock solid AFR's. From now on thats the way it will be. For you guys running 500hp+ I would recommend doing the same.

Back in the day when we were all running around on only 17psi boost, in tank pumps worked great but with the addition of alky and boost 25-30 psi daily, IMO your taking a gamble depending on a pee shooter to do the job of a cannon. :eek:

Curious to see Mike's test results on the new pump. We'll see if it can get his approval and even make it to the market.

Mike has really been a stand up guy through this. I would have told everyone with pumps more than 30 days old to deal with the manufacturer.

Just my o2

Rick

What did everyone do BEFORE Walbro pumps were available? Well after building these cars for 20+ years now, I'll tell you. Either dual intank stock pumps, or external in-line pumps. I personally like the in-line external route. Use a Bosch 044 (or Aeromotive, ect.) in-line and be DONE with it, IF you can't wait for Walbro to fix thier issues. At least Mike and Walbro are doing something. Over the years, manufacturers have dropped the ball on crappy designs or products, leaving all of us hanging and broke. I don't need to go through all the bad stuff I have bought form NUMEROUS suppliers over the years. I am pleased that Walbro is promising to fix their problems. Now, if we could just get Comp to follow in Walbro's foot steps.;) Look, EVERYONE makes mistakes, it's HOW you fix it that makes you the better person/supplier.
For those of you that have "KACKED" an engine or head gasket due to a Walbro failure, I FEEL for you. Back 20 years ago, I use to change head gaskets like most people changed oil. I was running 11.70's @112 with stock turbo, stock intercooler and HUGE 30 lb. Tomco injectors. I must have been STUPID to keep trying to go faster. Sure did learn how to R&R head gaskets, though.;) I have changed head gaskets on the side of the road in less than 9 hours with only hand tools. MAN.....those were the good 'ol days, for SURE!:D If I could make it through the final round with out popping a head gasket, and be able to drive it home with out blowing a smoke screen behind me, I was GOOD......REAL GOOD!:biggrin: Thank God for bigger injectors, pumps and better chips that we have today. You little whiper-snappers have it easy these days. (Now I sound like my grandpa. Guess I am getting old.) After popping head gaskets, I learned to drive the car with one eye on the fuel pressure gauge. Back then we didn't have good fuel pressure gauges, either. ( I used an oil pressure gauge in the car, so tech would let me run. "Why do you have TWO oil pressure gauges??" me..."one for the engine, and one for the turbo" them...."Oh.....Ok, that makes sense.":p ) You learned to read spark plugs pretty good, too.

I did not count the no. of times it was actually posted already in this thread alone (certainly more than three)--but just get a GSS340M/ kit (kit # pending model year--elec conn's) from Racetronix & move-on (damn all the torpedoing--full pressure ahead)!

There have not been all the F'in...169 problems with this Walbro/Racetronix pump & they have plenty in supply--let's just get on with it...

Then, after (if) you get your ...169 replacement from Walbro--you can keep it as a spare. Personally, I'm not just whining or holding my breath in the interim...

Looks like I may go with a 340M for now.

But I am not too happy with the personal response that I received from Mike with respect to my current situation of a bad pump in my tank and a brand new pump in the box still (purchased from FTS) that I do not trust using. I requested only a store credit for it since I need to go another route and was bluntly denied being past 30 days. I know it may sound like I am bashing, but just voicing a disatisfaction with a lack of standing behind products that a vendor sells. I am not asking for a cash refund, but store credit. Being told that I should use it and not all of them have problems is not something I am willing to take a chance on. Are we supposed to "try it out" and find out if we blow a head gasket? It is like Russian Roulette to me. There are some of you that may dislike my opinion and feel that I am not appreciative of what Mike has done. But that would be untrue, as I started my conversation with him that his efforts are very appreciated.

Thanks for listening and the ability to put my opinion out.

Don't bother with any Walbro, local here said they've gone through a few 340M's also this year. I thought those were the OK ones huh. :rolleyes:

LOL, Walbro pulls pumps off their shelves and customers can't even return known problematic, design flawed pumps for store credit??

I'll say it again, why support Walbro at all? They've left us literally stranded.

Denso 280 and never look back except to see other GN's with Walbro's on the side of the road. :(

Just figured out that my popping and nose dropping was fuel pump. Put gauge on and idle pressure was down about 5 pounds. On acceleration it would climb to 47 and then drop off. My pump is two years old and 8000 miles. As of Nov. 5th Mike didn't have any in and was waiting to test. What are my other options or should I wait it out. I'm driving the car I just can't go over half throttle.