You can type here any text you want

what could i do

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

kad5118

hello every one
am new to turbo buick.i dont quite have a buick i have a stock 1980 monte carlo that is turbo.its the hot air turbo setup.right now i am trying to wake up the engine performance.i currently have a hholley 950 commander efi setup,that i plan on using to replace the carb, and a mallory ignition setup to add to enhance the spark. and a stock th35o trans to work with my stock current turbo engine.i do plan on have the short block rebuild.what are my options i am aiming a to receieve over 22mpg and close to 350hp at the rear wheel setup.what are my options.i have a fair budget to play with what are my options,any advise will help.

Exhaust on these cars is bad, especially the down pipe. Its 2.25" double walled crinkle OD. By the time you measure ID its under 2". Also get a good set of mufflers and at least 2.5" single. Stock cam is small, I have a 204/214 in mine. Its a good mild street cam but is still good. I also have ported heads. If your running that EFI setup go to E85. Dont mess with 93 and alky, just run ethanol on it. Mine would be running E85 if I had the fuel system and carb.

The biggest thing is rear gear. I still have 2.41's and its laughable. It doesnt spool up til 35 MPH but once it hits 7PSI it hauls.

Turbo is also small. Hot side is huge and laggy, intake side is too small to do anything. There is an aftermarket turbo coming out soon hopefully.

Exhaust, cam and heads, E85, gears and turbo will get into the carb turbo setup into solid 12's, I guarantee it. Its where mine is headed but theres a lot of work required.

what is e85 is that a of some short carb?

what do you think the power levels would be with the holley 950 commander 4barrel 725cfm tbi?

what kind of power levers would that put me

hello every one
am new to turbo buick.i dont quite have a buick i have a stock 1980 monte carlo that is turbo.its the hot air turbo setup.right now i am trying to wake up the engine performance.i currently have a hholley 950 commander efi setup,that i plan on using to replace the carb, and a mallory ignition setup to add to enhance the spark. and a stock th35o trans to work with my stock current turbo engine.i do plan on have the short block rebuild.what are my options i am aiming a to receieve over 22mpg and close to 350hp at the rear wheel setup.what are my options.i have a fair budget to play with what are my options,any advise will help.
I am swapping to Holley EFI myself. I already know everyone is going to hate this idea but nitrous and a 301 turbo.

what is e85 is that a of some short carb?

what do you think the power levels would be with the holley 950 commander 4barrel 725cfm tbi?

what kind of power levers would that put me

e85 is a fuel. have you ever seen the flexfuel cars? what gives you the HP is boost. a larger turbo like mine and charlie will help you out alot. i know everyone hates nitrous but its a cheap HP. sorry guys dont shoot me for saying this.

ok.do they have any after market intakes for the hot air setups
the drawthru setup... no.. what me and charlie have done is ported the stock intake. trust me if i knew how to convert my carb to e85 i would have been running it myself. when charle get on here he may be able to help more. i already know he is going to say a turbo upgrade is what you need. i will post his link because i already know. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/before-black-non-sfi-tech/274489-all-turbos-not-created-equal.html me and him have done our turbos a little different but here is his thread. i have some ideas i have to run by charlie maybe i will send him a email in the next few days.

Dnt change the stock distrbutor it has a knock retard system.Change the gears first otherwise you will never be happy with it trust me

There's lots you can do to upgrade the power of the car. The biggest problem I've seen with any of the turbo Buick guys is that they buy parts that are the hottest newest thing and don't think of the the car as a system. You have to look at the whole system to see what you can upgrade and how to go about it. The turbo upgrade puts us basically at the same starting point as the 86=87 guys, but it's an HA car. HA cars have other issues with them which most don't take into account.

Your stock distributor and timing retard are beter than you think they are. You can upgrade to some of the MSD parts like a BTM unit or a 6A box, or get a 6BTM unit which has both. This will give you better spark overall as well as the ability to change the initial timing or the total timing to prevent detonation.

There's lots you can do to upgrade the power of the car. The biggest problem I've seen with any of the turbo Buick guys is that they buy parts that are the hottest newest thing and don't think of the the car as a system. You have to look at the whole system to see what you can upgrade and how to go about it. The turbo upgrade puts us basically at the same starting point as the 86=87 guys, but it's an HA car. HA cars have other issues with them which most don't take into account.

Your stock distributor and timing retard are beter than you think they are. You can upgrade to some of the MSD parts like a BTM unit or a 6A box, or get a 6BTM unit which has both. This will give you better spark overall as well as the ability to change the initial timing or the total timing to prevent detonation.

what are some of the other issue.because i feel that to address those issue would be a good starting point

what are some of the other issue.because i feel that to address those issue would be a good starting point

First thing fist then. Do some reading over at Rich's site. BEFORE BLACK Website will give you a better idea of how the systems work and some of the simple things you can do. It isn't that hard to understand the way the system works but figuring out the limits to it is the biggest problem. It is possible to get them in the 11's and possibly in the 10's, but it's an uphill battle. These cars can be modded just like other turbo Buicks but you really need to do the research on how to go about it. Years ago we were in the dark because after 83 any research about them went out the window because fuel injection came out. There have been a few of us that have done work on them in the last 10 years, but we're few and far in between.

Can't say right of hand but n/a guys says that's the first thing to do is swap gears. A 3.23 should go well with the 3 speed trans. THe exhaust on these cars is very restrictive, along with the downpipe. I would start here first. Get rid of the cat also

can some one copy and past before they were black for me.I am asking because my company computer will not allow me to access the site.thanks

can some one copy and past before they were black for me.I am asking because my company computer will not allow me to access the site.thanks

Not sure what you're asking here. The site is quite large to just do a "paste" of it. It's not just one page of info.

go on google and type befofe black.net
soon we may have a better site for upgrades. :biggrin:

not sure what you're asking here. The site is quite large to just do a "paste" of it. It's not just one page of info.

what i was asking was if some one can click on the site and next copy all of the words on that site .then next paste them to the message box and reply back to me.

what i was asking was if some one can click on the site and next copy all of the words on that site .then next paste them to the message box and reply back to me.
their is alot of pages. depending on what info you want you have to find the page.

Back