You can type here any text you want

Which front springs to hook up.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

big reazon

WHat do you guys run for front springs as far as drag racing. I know the v8 guys run the moog 5596 v6 springs to help with weight transfer. But What do the turbo 6 guys run as far as hooking up?

5596 spring here with 3/8 coil cut off. You're going to need a good shock to control the energy of the spring.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

5596 spring here with 3/8 coil cut off. You're going to need a good shock to control the energy of the spring.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I know I might sound silly to ask this...but are they a big (or small) improvement over the original factory installed springs and worth changing? Also, how do they affect handling in normal street driving conditions? :confused:

Claude. :redface:

I know I might sound silly to ask this...but are they a big (or small) improvement over the original factory installed springs and worth changing? Also, how do they affect handling in normal street driving conditions? :confused:

Claude. :redface:

It depends on what goal you're after.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Don't get the Moroso Drag Springs if ever want to drive it on the street...

I got rear morosso drag springs 50/50 lake woods on back an 90/10 lake woods up front would tote a tire with the front swaybar still on off the foot brake ... rides like a caddy down I-95

It depends on what goal you're after.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
Ok, I'll be more specific...Right now in the front, I have stock springs with the only mod being some Lakewood 90/10 shocks. At the rear, I have some H&R upper and Wolfe racecraft lower control arms, an H&R sway bar (which I have mixed feelings about it :rolleyes:), some aftermarket springs (because my stock ones were sagging too much) and QA1, 12 position adjustable shocks. But ever since the late Eric Shertz (from Dynotech) installed an H&R sway bar on my car which was supposed to help my car leave straight, it never left the line hard anymore, pulling the front wheels off the ground again like it did before. I'm getting some 60 ft. times around 1.49 and my best run so far is in my signature below. I don't know what I'd give to have the car leave the line hard with both wheels up in the air like I often notice with cars running... slower than mine! :eek:...a little frustrating! :redface:
Last, I still drive the car occasionally to cruises and car shows, but not really for travelling several hundred miles distances and that's why I was asking if in my case, the Moog front springs would be a good choice or not?...I'd also like to retain the car's stock height as much as possible.
Thank you,

Claude. :smile:

What springs are in the rear Claude?
Charlie, I've had Jack Cotton replace the springs for me because like I said in my previous post, the factory springs were sagged too much and were causing the tires to rub against the fender lip mouldings, but these were springs that Jack had in stock and don't know what they are...
Also, I must be the onlt guy on this board who's far from convinced about the benefits of an H&R sway bar...:rolleyes: but I haven't seen any. :frown:

Claude. :)

Get hold of Jack and see if he can tell you which springs he put in it. That may be one of your issues. You'll need to know how to read this but here's a link to all the springs MOOG sells and all the info on them. It gives you spring rates, heights, ect and should help you figure out which springs to go with. Stock are F: 5600 and R: 5379.

Moog Suspension Parts - Universal Coil Springs

You can run QA1 coil over springs in the stock location in the back.
QA1 Precision Products 12-150 - QA1 Coil Springs - Overview - SummitRacing.com (I am not saying this is the right PN
Dusty Bradford gave me the part numbers, they were like $38 ea from summit...
I will see if I can find the PN, if not send Dusty a PM.
Thanks for the link!...:wink: But, are the springs a direct replacement for the stock ones?...If yes, why are they calling them "coil-over"?...Over what? :confused:
Let me know if you ever find a pt#...The spring I have now were used when Jack put them in but we were looking to stop a tire rubbing problem which it did, but this was two years ago so I doubt he'll remember for sure what they were ...but they look like "cargo" coils.
thank you,

Claude. :)

If the coils are narrow and then wide you have cargo coils in the back and that's part of your problem. Cargo coils hurt on weight transfer.

If the coils are narrow and then wide you have cargo coils in the back and that's part of your problem. Cargo coils hurt on weight transfer.

Yeah, that's what I may have. If I remember, the coils were coiled "unevenly"...I'm going to check again to make sure...But if these hurt the 60 ft. times, will the QA1 springs solve that without lowering the car too much?

Claude.

From what I remember, the QA1 set up is a coil over shock system and the springs by themselves won't work. If you want a "stock" weight spring just replace them with a stock spring. You can get them fairly cheap from rockauto.

You just have to pick the right height and rate. If the 12-150s feel good but sit to low you can get the 14-150 but there are so many options when you change over to thos springs its crazy. The coil over springs fit stock location in the rear but you throw being able to put the airbag in out the window. But I believe you would be able to put like a 25lb stiffer spring on the passenger side to get straighter but thats just an idea.

Claude, how are u leaving the line.... I mean at wut boost, off the trans brake? Wut tires are u running?...is the car going straight when u leave? Do u still have ur front swaybar connected? Wuts ur front suspension consist of....I havent seen under ur car in awhile so i cant remeber... I mean 1.4s 60fts aren't that bad.....are u spinning off the line? Honestly, would u rather be wasting power with a huge wheelie or getting down the track faster? Jus sayin...... Joel

Claude, how are u leaving the line.... I mean at wut boost, off the trans brake? Wut tires are u running?...is the car going straight when u leave? Do u still have ur front swaybar connected? Wuts ur front suspension consist of....I havent seen under ur car in awhile so i cant remeber... I mean 1.4s 60fts aren't that bad.....are u spinning off the line? Honestly, would u rather be wasting power with a huge wheelie or getting down the track faster? Jus sayin...... Joel
Hi Joel...I am running some Phoenix 10.5"x28.5" tires, and leave with someting close to 10 psi at the line, off the trans brake. The car usually goes straight unless the rear tires get out of the "groove" which happened a few times so I lifted the foot on these occasions.:frown: My front suspension is 100% stock except for some 90/10 Lakewood shocks (which by the way, came off Eric's car!) :wink:. At the rear, I have some H&R adjustable upper control arms and some Wolfe Racecraft adjustable lower ones, along with an H&R sway bar (which I've always been disappointed with) :mad:, and finally some rear coil; springs which look like cargo coils (with coils spaced unevenly). :rolleyes:
About leaving the line with or without a "huge wheelie"...well I'll "honestly" reply with the huge wheely even if it would slow me down a tenth...but the "fun factor" would be "priceless" !! :biggrin:
Well that's about it...

regards,

Claude. :wink:

Stock front springs here, 1.2x 60fts regularly. Like Billy said put your money in shocks. You don't need front springs unless you are trying to change ride height. I run QA1 coil-over rear springs, they do fit in the stock location. A good setup in the rear is to use the wolf racecraft or trz adjusters at the axle side of the rear spring so you can adjust ride height.

Back