You guys want a good oil read.

Good read. Does anyone use 0w30 or 5w30 in there TB and what are your thoughts on it?

GM suggested at least 10w-30 for summer and 5w-30 below certain temps-------even though the thought scares those that dont understand oil viscosity it would be equally as good to use 0w-30 all the time-------we have all been brought up to think oil needs to be thick to work--------take some 30w oil sometime and bring it to around 200 degrees on a stove and see how much it is like water-------it gets hotter than that in your bearings--------at operating temps 0w-30 and 10w-30 are the same viscosity-------only difference is that at cold startup the 0w-30 flows to your critical engine parts quicker and protects better--------0w-30 wasn't easily available in 1987 and today it commands a rather premium price------is it worth it???------its probably not really necessary but its certainly not going to hurt anything---------i have a daily driver GN with about 360K miles (original unopened motor) on it thats had conventional 10w-30 in it for decades with only a brief exception and its still going strong--------even if it locked up today i really wouldn't know for sure if 0w-30 would have squeezed another 100k out of it or not---------that exception was about 3 years ago--------I too read some of the magazine articles about the reduction of ZDDP--------several of the magazines suggested diesel oil as an alternative-------like most everyone else I made the rounds to the truck stops and parts stores to scarf up the "Rotella" cause the ZDDP content was still rather adequate------since i have dozens of GN's i stashed a couple hundred gallons thinking it was the right thing to do---------meanwhile I also did some research into the oil issue related to older cars and that is what brought about the ZDDPlus product-------one thing is certain------you can't believe everything you read in a magazine--------ZDDPlus allowed me to go back to what my cars were originally designed for - ie good quality 10w30 motor oil with ZDDP in the 1800+PPM range -----meanwhile the diesel oils have been reformulated to reduce the ZDDP to bring the oil in line with what the newer diesel engines require so now its not even an adequate solution even if the detergents and viscosity were not a problem---------originally the only intent was to protect my treasured collection--------another thing is certain--------just about none of the off the shelf oils today have enough ZDDP in them for our older motors--------even the highly touted Mobil One has less than half the ideal dose for our cars--------there is more to engine protection than viscosity--------especially on the cam where pressurized lubrication just doesn't happen...............RC

GM suggested at least 10w-30 for summer and 5w-30 below certain temps-------even though the thought scares those that dont understand oil viscosity it would be equally as good to use 0w-30 all the time-------we have all been brought up to think oil needs to be thick to work--------take some 30w oil sometime and bring it to around 200 degrees on a stove and see how much it is like water-------it gets hotter than that in your bearings--------at operating temps 0w-30 and 10w-30 are the same viscosity-------only difference is that at cold startup the 0w-30 flows to your critical engine parts quicker and protects better--------0w-30 wasn't easily available in 1987 and today it commands a rather premium price------is it worth it???------its probably not really necessary but its certainly not going to hurt anything---------i have a daily driver GN with about 360K miles (original unopened motor) on it thats had conventional 10w-30 in it for decades with only a brief exception and its still going strong--------even if it locked up today i really wouldn't know for sure if 0w-30 would have squeezed another 100k out of it or not---------that exception was about 3 years ago--------I too read some of the magazine articles about the reduction of ZDDP--------several of the magazines suggested diesel oil as an alternative-------like most everyone else I made the rounds to the truck stops and parts stores to scarf up the "Rotella" cause the ZDDP content was still rather adequate------since i have dozens of GN's i stashed a couple hundred gallons thinking it was the right thing to do---------meanwhile I also did some research into the oil issue related to older cars and that is what brought about the ZDDPlus product-------one thing is certain------you can't believe everything you read in a magazine--------ZDDPlus allowed me to go back to what my cars were originally designed for - ie good quality 10w30 motor oil with ZDDP in the 1800+PPM range -----meanwhile the diesel oils have been reformulated to reduce the ZDDP to bring the oil in line with what the newer diesel engines require so now its not even an adequate solution even if the detergents and viscosity were not a problem---------originally the only intent was to protect my treasured collection--------another thing is certain--------just about none of the off the shelf oils today have enough ZDDP in them for our older motors--------even the highly touted Mobil One has less than half the ideal dose for our cars--------there is more to engine protection than viscosity--------especially on the cam where pressurized lubrication just doesn't happen...............RC

Im not really up on ZDDP. Is there a link to an article you can share with me so I can read up on exactly what it is? I have never added this to my oil. Should I be?

Im not really up on ZDDP. Is there a link to an article you can share with me so I can read up on exactly what it is? I have never added this to my oil. Should I be?

most folks never added it either because for nearly 70 years it was always in the oil------sort of like lead used to be in the gasoline-------recent EPA requirements have forced drastic reductions and it has serious implications for older flat tappet motors and even new high performance engines with roller cams with very high rate springs--------for a good explanation go to ZDDPlus.com and read the technical papers...............RC