1000 hp

WE4 WARRIOR

getting caught up on 1000 hp mark for a street car. can this be done with a 109 block. are there any out there. what does a 1000 hp buick do in the quarter.

Break...........:rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Lofty goal to be sure but the real question is can you really use 1000 hp on the street?

1000 to the wheels? Weight will dictate 1/4 mile time. It could handle 800 to the wheels if built right. For how long I don't know. Probably not too long tho. There are a couple members who have made that much power in TSM.

i think the book how to build buick engines by Jefferson Bryant says the stock block can hold 720hp dont kill me if im wrong.

You gotta be kidding!

No way will it hold up, their is just simpley not enough meat in those blocks to hold that kind of power. They are low nickle content, thin wall castings. It is my opinion that alot of the crank bearing problems you guy exsperiance are due to block flex. Girdles help keep the caps from walking to some degree, but do very little for torsional flex. I race Pontiacs and they have the same problem with the stock blocks, I now run an aftermarket IAII block which is they same block dimensionally but weighs 60 lbs. more, with a high nickle content. I am pushing 1038 to the rear wheels with that block, and it is capable of handling 2000 HP. It would be benificial to the Buick crowd if a good aftermarket block could be offered at a competitive price along the lines of the Indian Adventures block that is offered for the Pontiacs. You guys could really turn the wick up then.

Cast that block in high nickle iron and sell it for 2300 - 2500 and see how many people buy it. way over priced, and not very practical for the adverage hot rodder. The reason it is priced were it is at, quantity, they know they will not sell very many of them therfore the high price to recope the initial investment. The smart move would have been cast a block that is more affordable to the adverage Joe and sell a bunch of them at a lower price. 109 blocks are starting to dry up. And how about a block that has thicker cylinder walls and can be bored out bigger, or raised decks that will acomodate longer strokes, or more meat to make it stronger, raised cam tunnel, how about 50mm roller bearing cam tunnel, and absorb more heat. Way to many pro's to this than to kick it to the side. You folks are out there on the moon way ahead of yourselves, pricing yourselves out of competition, or your in a cave, staying behinde it.

If you need to ask this question, than you should just send me the $15k as it will actually save you $$ since you can drive your current GN in one piece.

Well, a TSM car weighing 3550 lbs. going 9.0 in the 1/4 makes approx. 960 rwhp so it definately is possible and one or two have gone even faster.

Going TA or S2 is a no brainer as they will both handle more power obviously but that's not what he was asking.

getting caught up on 1000 hp mark for a street car. can this be done with a 109 block. are there any out there. what does a 1000 hp buick do in the quarter.

What do you consider a street car and why would you choose a 109 block for anything even near that when you can choose a much stronger block and have a lot more piece of mind?

Well, a TSM car weighing 3550 lbs. going 9.0 in the 1/4 makes approx. 960 rwhp
Not quite. Maybe that much at the flywheel not at the wheels though. Probably closer to 825hp at the wheels.

No way will it hold up, their is just simpley not enough meat in those blocks to hold that kind of power. They are low nickle content, thin wall castings. It is my opinion that alot of the crank bearing problems you guy exsperiance are due to block flex. Girdles help keep the caps from walking to some degree, but do very little for torsional flex. I race Pontiacs and they have the same problem with the stock blocks, I now run an aftermarket IAII block which is they same block dimensionally but weighs 60 lbs. more, with a high nickle content. I am pushing 1038 to the rear wheels with that block, and it is capable of handling 2000 HP. It would be benificial to the Buick crowd if a good aftermarket block could be offered at a competitive price along the lines of the Indian Adventures block that is offered for the Pontiacs. You guys could really turn the wick up then.
Very few on here have a chassis that will handle over 1000hp. Too be very honest most havent even been in a car that makes 500+ to the wheels. The nickel content isnt the problem. The problem is when your trying to make 200hp per hole on a casting that was never intended to be over 400hp total. The block is a lightlweight with poor main stability. The stage 2 is a lot heavier in the areas in needs to be and has a much more rigid webbing area and extra fasteners to keep it all together.

Not quite. Maybe that much at the flywheel not at the wheels though. Probably closer to 825hp at the wheels.
At 3550 and 143-144 mph ur car would be making about 810-825 to the wheels. That's not near fast enough for a 9.0 pass.

buddy of mine has a 109 with a stock crank ,girdle, definetly making 925+rwhp... it traps 140+mph so its definetly over 900 hp and is full interior/ a/c car WITHOUT rollcage that also see's the street sometimes.... just gotta know what you got and be smart about it. Don Cruz down here in florida had a 8 sec 109 with a **** load of internal work before he pulled it out for a stg. 2

we4warrior,1000 hp is absolutly useless on the street and a 109 will not live in that power range.

buddy of mine has a 109 with a stock crank ,girdle, definetly making 925+rwhp... it traps 140+mph so its definetly over 900 hp and is full interior/ a/c car WITHOUT rollcage that also see's the street sometimes.... just gotta know what you got and be smart about it. Don Cruz down here in florida had a 8 sec 109 with a **** load of internal work before he pulled it out for a stg. 2

How come whenever someone wants to know who has the fastest or the best or the most HP and everyone says it's not possible, someone always has "buddy of mine" that is all of those things and then some. Turbobuick86 i'm not saying your lying cause i honestly don't know but i just found it funny that your post started with "buddy of mine" haha always a bridesmaid never a bride:biggrin:

We put down a little over 800hp to the tire on Don's 9.0 TSM combination. Both he and Fiscus put down 1053hp (think the dyno may be maxed) at Richard Clark's dyno last week with TSO combo's.

We put down a little over 800hp to the tire on Don's 9.0 TSM combination. Both he and Fiscus put down 1053hp (think the dyno may be maxed) at Richard Clark's dyno last week with TSO combo's.

I was just about to say the same thing. I thought you guys put down some good numbers! Congrats! ----Jeremy