? about oil pump "PEASE HELP"

Be careful, removing material can effect oil pressure.

If you increase the space between the rotors and the cover. There's a tolerance there.

hogwash , no way to alter the clearance by sanding the adapter on a flat surface (i like glass) . you're restablishing a flat surface to a surface that should be flat without gouge marks from debris, the gasket selection decides the final clearance.

I think you guys are both thinking of this correctly; but from different sides.

If you sand (shorten) the gears; you create more clearance. If you sand the adapter; you remove some clearance that shouldn’t be there (but if the gears chew it back up; you don’t gain much); but the bottom of the gear is probably bad also. I might not have been real clear on everything.

Not much you can do about the top of the driven gear or the top and sides of the case.

I think my next engine is getting a FWD cover.

You should really think about pulling your front cover off the engine and inspecting the hell out of it.
At the very least hand lap the oil filter adapter back flat. No, it won't change your existing clearances. If the gears are gouged up get a Melling kit from the parts store.
Now for the trick. A lot of times the gasket that comes with the kit is too thin to allow the gears to spin when the filter adapter is torqued down. If you're cover is excessively worn, that shouldn't be a problem.
No matter what route you take MAKE SURE the pump spins freely before firing the engine!

You should really think about pulling your front cover off the engine and inspecting the hell out of it.
At the very least hand lap the oil filter adapter back flat. No, it won't change your existing clearances. If the gears are gouged up get a Melling kit from the parts store.
Now for the trick. A lot of times the gasket that comes with the kit is too thin to allow the gears to spin when the filter adapter is torqued down. If you're cover is excessively worn, that shouldn't be a problem.
No matter what route you take MAKE SURE the pump spins freely before firing the engine!

I would listen to this dude.

Thanks for the replys!!! I'm going to clean it up and make sure I get the correct gasket pack it with vasiline and pray!!

I would listen to this dude.

X2 with Dan on this.

It is funny when you stay up night after night reading. You find out who is who in the zoo...........:biggrin:

Zoo? I thought it was an insane assylum?:eek: :biggrin:

Thanks for the replys!!! I'm going to clean it up and make sure I get the correct gasket pack it with vasiline and pray!!

If you need to pray you didn't do it right but prayer is always a good idea.:rolleyes:

X2 with Dan on this.

Zoo? I thought it was an insane assylum?:eek: :biggrin:

If you need to pray you didn't do it right but prayer is always a good idea.:rolleyes:

I know what you mean but the gears look perfect as does the pump etc... I had the guy at work take off about what he said was .002 to .003 and the it looks good!! I'll post some pics of the finished product!!

Can't get pics to post unless posting as new thread!!!

Wait until page loads completely and click on post reply. Wait for it to COMPLETELY load and page down until you see manage attachments. Click on that and you can load from your puter or from url. I had the same problem when I joined and someone PMd me on how to do it. Hope this helped.

Wait until page loads completely and click on post reply. Wait for it to COMPLETELY load and page down until you see manage attachments. Click on that and you can load from your puter or from url. I had the same problem when I joined and someone PMd me on how to do it. Hope this helped.

Cool, never realized that!! Always tried to do it from "quick reply" under the insert image icon. tomorrow when I get to work I'll be able to post up the pics they are in that computer.

Thanks!!

Cool, never realized that!! Always tried to do it from "quick reply" under the insert image icon. tomorrow when I get to work I'll be able to post up the pics they are in that computer.

Thanks!!

LOL Believe me. Not a problem. Been there done that, burned the T-shirt.:biggrin:

Be sure to check gear end-clearance when you assemble (should be .001" - .002")

A booster plate will help with low pressure probs.

Well, I was able to prime the oil pump by only packing with vasiline no having to remove the cam sensor.... However my problems are now bigger cause there is a lifter tapping in the motor. When I last had the motor running in the other car nothing!!! Pull it out put it in my "T" and whamo tapping. What a kick in the **lls!!!!!

Well, I was able to prime the oil pump by only packing with vasiline no having to remove the cam sensor.... However my problems are now bigger cause there is a lifter tapping in the motor. When I last had the motor running in the other car nothing!!! Pull it out put it in my "T" and whamo tapping. What a kick in the **lls!!!!!

well you did run it without oil for a bit .... if this is a flat tappet.... i bet its days are up.

Sorry dude..... mistakes on these engines are costly.

:cool: A.j.

If you’ve got oil pressure now; try changing the oil and filter. If that doesn’t stop the noise; put in two quarts of ATF and run it for a while (short drive with NO boost). If that fixes the problem; drain and refill with oil and no ATF. You probably don’t have much to lose at this point.

If you’ve got oil pressure now; try changing the oil and filter. If that doesn’t stop the noise; put in two quarts of ATF and run it for a while (short drive with NO boost). If that fixes the problem; drain and refill with oil and no ATF. You probably don’t have much to lose at this point.

Your right I don't have much to loose!! I have already drained the oil didn't find any debris oil looks fine. Hoping it may just be a stuck lifter cause I didn't let the motor run longer than maybe a minute after getting oil pressure and I didn't rev it. I'll put in 2 quarts of ATF get a new filter and give it a shot!!! What's in the ATF that may help my cause??? Also what weight oil should I go with???

Your right I don't have much to loose!! I have already drained the oil didn't find any debris oil looks fine. Hoping it may just be a stuck lifter cause I didn't let the motor run longer than maybe a minute after getting oil pressure and I didn't rev it. I'll put in 2 quarts of ATF get a new filter and give it a shot!!! What's in the ATF that may help my cause??? Also what weight oil should I go with???

The ATF has more detergent in it than regular oil; or at least that’s what I’ve always heard. It is also a lower viscosity oil. Just use the cheap stuff. It’s probably 5w to 10w oil. It’s what I run in my motorcycle shocks and forks.

As the idea is to get the lifters cleaned up and not really provide superior lubrication to everything; don’t put the engine under a lot of load.

As I don’t know the history on this engine; I’d probably fill it with 30w or something like 10-30w or 20-30w. The 5w oils may be a little thin for your oiling system till you know what you have. I’ll get kicked; but I seen no reason to use Synthetic oil at this time. Wait till you know what’s going on with the engine.

NO BOOST – NO LOAD. You just want to get the engine warm and see if the lifters/valves will clean up. If they do clean up; drain it all out and replace with some good oil and a new filter. The amount of Vaseline you used shouldn’t be a concern.

The ATF has more detergent in it than regular oil; or at least that’s what I’ve always heard. It is also a lower viscosity oil. Just use the cheap stuff. It’s probably 5w to 10w oil. It’s what I run in my motorcycle shocks and forks.

As the idea is to get the lifters cleaned up and not really provide superior lubrication to everything; don’t put the engine under a lot of load.

As I don’t know the history on this engine; I’d probably fill it with 30w or something like 10-30w or 20-30w. The 5w oils may be a little thin for your oiling system till you know what you have. I’ll get kicked; but I seen no reason to use Synthetic oil at this time. Wait till you know what’s going on with the engine.

NO BOOST – NO LOAD. You just want to get the engine warm and see if the lifters/valves will clean up. If they do clean up; drain it all out and replace with some good oil and a new filter. The amount of Vaseline you used shouldn’t be a concern.

By clean up I'm assuming you mean quiet down?? I'll give this a shot!!!

By clean up I'm assuming you mean quiet down?? I'll give this a shot!!!

Most of the noise is usually a valve that is sticking; or a lifter that is not filling with oil. The thinner oil with more detergent will help clean things up.

I’ve even seen my dad slowly pour a quart of kerosene down a carburetor of a car running at about 2500 RPM to free up sticky valves. Makes a lot of smoke though.

Most of the noise is usually a valve that is sticking; or a lifter that is not filling with oil. The thinner oil with more detergent will help clean things up.

I’ve even seen my dad slowly pour a quart of kerosene down a carburetor of a car running at about 2500 RPM to free up sticky valves. Makes a lot of smoke though.

Thanks for the info!! I'll keep you posted on my progress!!