You can type here any text you want

Aftermarket Balancers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mzunino

In the process of building a stroker motor. My machine shop is telling me I need a 2 piece internally balanced balancer. I was looking at the ATI-918570 model. Any one have any luck with these or are they any you recommend?

I will be using a bhj balancer. check out bhj products. The vendors here sell them.

I'm using that part number ATI balancer. I'm using it with an external oil pump, stage 2 front cover and msd type crank trigger. It would not be the wise choice if you are using a stock front cover and stock crank trigger. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/stage-ii-tech/363485-ati-balancer-buick-v6.html

It uses a sbc pulley bolt pattern so your buick pulleys won't bolt up. It also has no provision to hold the stock crank trigger ring. The 7" balancer also will not clear the stock timing cover without doing some grinding. If you want to use an ATI and a stock style oil pump, you probably want to start with the 6.325 OD shell and the "OEM oil pump hub". ATI - Super Dampers® for Buick Engines You'll still have to make your own pulley and crank trigger. If you don't want to do any fab work, go with a BHJ.

In the process of building a stroker motor. My machine shop is telling me I need a 2 piece internally balanced balancer. I was looking at the ATI-918570 model. Any one have any luck with these or are they any you recommend?

The only balancers with a crank sensor ring that will be a direct fit on a Buick V-6 is the BHJ or the TA steel SFI unit.

Most including myself use the BHJ, however if you're on a budget your machine shop should be able to neutral balance a stock balancer. I've done it on a couple engines without issues.

Technically we do not have a balancer. It is just a cast iron balance hub. Years ago I contacted NHRA Div 6 tech director and asked if we (buick guys) needed an sfi balancer. He said if it didn't have an elsatomer sandwiched inertia ring, then no. It is the cast iron inertia ring that fails. So in realty we dont NEED an SFI balancer. HOWEVER.........why not run one to help the engine out a bit. But they only work with-in a certain frequency i.e. RPM, and rarely do we even run our stock block in the RPM range they are "tuned" for. (6000 RPM is typical)

Try arguing with a tech inspector that it isn't a "balancer". Good luck with THAT!!!

Has any of you used an old ATI rattler balancer before? I've been thinking about one I know's for sale.:)

Back