Anyone runing the Comp Cams 212/212?

6-Banger

I am thinking about upgrading from my stock cam. My car currently has an upgraded fuel pump and injectors, SMC progressive alky, TE-44, 3" downpipe with cutout, I am currently porting the stock heads and purchasing a FMIC. My goal is 11.2-11.6 E.T.'s. I have already ran a 12.0 @ 114 with the stock unmodified intercooler, stock unmodified heads. I am interested in staying with the stock convertor since its mostly a street car. Is it worth it to upgrade the cam or not for my goals? Is there anyone running the Comp Cams 212/212?

Are you thinking about going roller or flat tappet? Either way I would think you could spend your money better elsewhere. The heads and intercooler alone should almost put you there. (depending on the tune) and a new turbo would definitely do it. Assuming you have the traction of course. Also lot's of guys have gone way faster than that with less cam. That's my .02 james

I was looking at the flat tappet. Upgrading my cam was just a thought since I'm replacing my headgaskets right now. If it's not worth doing I'll save my money and put it toward a different turbo.

If (or when) you upgrade your cam, definitely go with the roller cam. Advantages are way less friction and more aggressive lifts. Costs more but one wiped motor due to cam break-in failure will more than make up the difference. I would stick with the stock cam for now if you are not having issues with it. Motor oil w/o zinc makes flat tappet break-in a real risky proposition.
Conrad

One other big advantage to roller cam...you can change the cam and not worry about changing out the lifters as on a flat tappet cam.
Conrad

I have a 212-212 flat tappet in my motor right now, it has about 20,000miles. Great cam! good idle, It passed the smog test with 50 lb injectors.

Chasmat,

It's good to hear a positive story about flat tappet cam life. I've just switched to a 212 FT myself. Please share what you're using for oil/additives for that long life.

flat tappet 212/212 cam here until I split my block! I just pulled out the lifters tonight and they looked BRAND NEW as does the cam...I broke it in properly of course...the cam lasted 2 years and lots of 1/4 mile and WOT street passes...no issues...the block on the other hand...uhhh anyone have a nice turbo 109 block??? :D

I have run a 212/212 flat tappet cam in my car for over 5 years with Champion iron heads and intake. Great drivibility and great performance under WOT. I ran 10.30 @ 131mph with that cam in a full weight T-type.

How about emissions?

Question for ya:

I have an engine completely apart. The heads have been ported and polished, and I want to run a roller can setup. My concern is emissions. Will a 212/212 roller cam setup still be "emission friendly"? At what lift will I be giving myself problems. In California, we test every two years, and I want to stay within limits without taking apart my engine. I'm not building a race car (well kinda) but I really would like a roller cam setup for a car that will be driven regularly.

Thanks,
-Michael

We get my sons car through CA emissions with that cam with a smog chip. I am considering dropping down to the 206/206 roller. The 212/212 seems to need a lot of converter to get the turbo to spool.

Question for ya:

I have an engine completely apart. The heads have been ported and polished, and I want to run a roller can setup. My concern is emissions. Will a 212/212 roller cam setup still be "emission friendly"? At what lift will I be giving myself problems. In California, we test every two years, and I want to stay within limits without taking apart my engine. I'm not building a race car (well kinda) but I really would like a roller cam setup for a car that will be driven regularly.

Thanks,
-Michael

I have a 214/214 roller, and it passed emissions here in WA without drama (thanks to a good TT emissions chip:cool: ). I wouldn't pass the CA visual test right now, though!

Great...

Thanks for the responses, Comp Cams says that their 206/206 runs with the stock computer, but I'll get the smog chip, run the 212/212, and go from there. Thanks again!

I am thinking about upgrading from my stock cam. My car currently has an upgraded fuel pump and injectors, SMC progressive alky, TE-44, 3" downpipe with cutout, I am currently porting the stock heads and purchasing a FMIC. My goal is 11.2-11.6 E.T.'s. I have already ran a 12.0 @ 114 with the stock unmodified intercooler, stock unmodified heads. I am interested in staying with the stock convertor since its mostly a street car. Is it worth it to upgrade the cam or not for my goals? Is there anyone running the Comp Cams 212/212?

I wouldnt go over 206 at .050 with the stock type 12" converter. I doubt you would gain much with just the cam change and your current combo. If you are going to go for a 6152 and want to easily run those times i would go with a 212/212 and a 3000 stall 9.5 converter. If your adamant about the stock converter then go with a CPT61BB and a 206 cam. This will throw you in the 11.40's easily at 23-25 psi. The 212-212 is a no no with the stock converter. I tried it back in 99. The 212 works best if the engine is kept between 4500 and 5700 rpm on a 231ci. The stock converter wont allow this unless you torture the car out of the hole with some 15+psi launches and it will be lazy on the street.

My motor is getting re-built right now. adding to my setup listed in my sig, is one of Razor's alky kits, (Get rid of the old non-progresive) PP the heads, forged pistons, engine girdle, new double roller timing chain, and 212/212 flat tappet cam.

Any guru's out there have any idea what kind of HP/TQ numbers I might be putting up with this combo? and what that might make a 1/4 mile run at?