beware of this ebay auction

very mis-leading ad--at the current price---someone will get decent deal at best.The history should be made ALOT clearer for average person.I would be mighty pissed if i missed the last photo.

Geoff

GM could not possibly have sold a car with a VIN stating it has a different motor than was actually installed. Even the TTAs have a 7 engine code and it was installed by a different company. Even if GM VIN'd it as an '86 why change the engine code?

I raise the BS flag. Either "Amber" is intentionally selling a stolen/salvage vehicle, or the person she bought it from fed her that garbage about the "hold over" from 1985 and titling it as a 1986.

Furthermore it would have been illegal to title that vehicle as an 86 without a 3rd brake light.

I feel REAL sorry for the person that buys this car. I am sure we will never see any proof of her story as either she is passing off the BS of the seller to her, or she is making it up herself.

I have no idea how people can sleep at night knowing they are intentionally screwing someone else over.

As they say - What goes around, comes around.

As much as I hate the taste of shoe leather (see above), I'll still go out on a short limb and say this car has a SERIOUS identity crisis. I lean toward the "totaled '85 GN chassis with an '86 5.0L body shell" theory. Someone, somewhere created this thing, and I doubt very, very seriously that it was General Motors. If it was totalled as an fairly new '85 that person should've swapped V.I.N. tags while he/she was swapping everything else.

The eigth digit in the V.I.N. is a "6". I couldn't find a reference to that at all on the GN/T-type page. Did I miss it or does someone know what it signifies?

Originally posted by SinistrV6

The eigth digit in the V.I.N. is a "6". I couldn't find a reference to that at all on the GN/T-type page. Did I miss it or does someone know what it signifies?
In my option code book it says that engine code 6 is a 5.7liter V8.This throws another twist into this dilema.As far as I know the 5.7 liter wasn't available in a 86 Regal. :confused:

Doh! Eigth digit IS a "Y"! This whole thead is causing me no end of embarassment! Think I'll just watch for a while!

Originally posted by BlackBuick84
that car has a hydroboost setup...which means if everything was swapped into that body, that drivetrain should be from an 84. Either way I'm really confused:confused:

IIRC, the switch from Hydroboost II to Powermaster was a mid '85 thing, so it could be a '85 drivetrain. But then that still blows the "late model year holdover" theory.

Any trunk sticker? LM9 or LC2?

It's the VIN however, that would bother me the most....

By the way my car registration also lists my car as just a Buick Regal.........

Funny how she hasn't come back into this thread or updated the listing.. I call scam..

If you have the complete VIN, it can be fully identified by any GM advisor worth a dime. It will tell you when, where, and what it was built with as far as drivetrain goes. I can't remember the whole aray of the breakdown, but it will tell you model year, engine code, trans code, plant produced in, and month produced. GM DOES NOT DO any holdovers on cars. This is due to DOT and EPA standards from year to year. A model year ends in late July early August, and the new year starts with September production. If, and this is a big IF, this car is what she states it is, then it is one of the rarest GN's I have ever heard of and should be bringing mega dollars. I tend to believe people, but this even has me wondering. The supplied explaination doesn't follow any GM logic at all and is rather dubious at best. May not be the case, but I do smell fish. Mark :D

I vote for phony!
I've bought and sold more than a few GNs, and never did any title from any state say "grand National" BTW
Someone should email ALL the bidders.

I think Amber didn't do her homework, and got taken advantage of by someone.

Its a 84/85 hot-air v6 with a 307 v8 vin number-whats the number on the engine block? It aint no 86 gn!

Just got mail from the high bidder:
Thanks for the heads up was bidding for a gift for my husband and know very
little about these cars. Thank you for your info and have emailed the
seller and ebay. Think this one will have to be relisted.

Good. I had en=mailed them too, didn't get a response. I simply like the thread here.

It IS a nice looking car!

However, I'm betting it's an '84! Besides the hydraboost brakes, and I'm not positive, but I've been told that the "rubbery" air-dam --just like the one on that car (and mine)-- is specific to the '84's...?

Tell ya what I'D like a closeup picture of: That nice, fairly clean & intact vacuum-hose routing sticker on the radiator shroud!

...That sticker itself will spill the beans!!

<edit>--now the pictures aren't working--ad being pulled??

Originally posted by Buick From Hell
but I've been told that the "rubbery" air-dam --just like the one on that car (and mine)-- is specific to the '84's...?
Uh, the 85s had that too

Amazing how much mis information there is, even on the 84/85's :eek: and what they have or don't have.

But it still all boils down to one of two things. Either Amber got "took" REAL BAD by whomever sold her the car and she just doesn't know any better,
Or, it's a huge scam being perpetrated on some unsuspecting buyer, and she thought we might be stupid enough to believe that line of bull she tried passing off.