beware of this ebay auction

Sounds like a lot of fish huh? No GM dealer I have ever known would have tried to sell anyone that kind of b.s. That alone makes you wonder loudly about the integrity. Maybe we should chip in and send a dictionary so someone can learn the meaning of the word. If you found you got screwed, doesn't give you the right to pass it along to the next unknowing individual. Good thing the woman that was going to suprise her husband found out in time to save her marriage.

Maybe I'm too trusting. I don't think there was intent to defraud. Of course, my history with judging who's honest and who's not when it comes to Turbo Buicks and parts is not all that good (Re: Kyle Moran and the "never fired short block" incident)

It is a nice looking car...I am sure they could get a fair price on it as long as they advertise it correctly and divulge what they know about it. In that price range not many people are looking for a collector car anyways...did she ever say what she paid for it?

Even after my discovery of the problems with this cars history I doubt Amber realized what she was into on this car... I know PLENTY OF PEOPLE that make up the same BS about it being "verified" heck check out half the auctions on ebay. I even advised the high bidder, that I dont believe it was her intent to fraud him, she just didnt know.. She pulled a little bit of nternet tough guy to try and get us to back off, but hey... we arent THAT slow...

I doubt someone would be dumb enough to sell a tag job they did on ebay, i think this car may have went through a dishonest owner or 2... At least shes coming clean now...

Vin #

If the vin # have been changed on this car she could check on the hidden # on the frame and other parts to see what this regal body really is or was.

JFH

Check out her website in her profile. That GN w/ghost flames looks familiar.

She looks honest enough, maybe some truth to the story. Looks better as a blonde too ;)

I'd be curious to see the auction that she got it from what it says - I couldnt find it

LOL Joe. I personally like the brunette version with the RAT in her hands. I do so like a woman with a brain. lol., I know it's a dangerous combo, but so is alcohol and gasoline. lol

I hope all of you can understand what a dumb ass I feel like. I have been too embarrassed to post anything else. All I was trying to do was sell my car. I did not know that anything was wrong with the car until a couple people e-mailed me and I saw this thread. I did not change anything in the ad, because I did not know any of you, nor was I even sure that I should believe any of you. Plus, I am still not sure what the deal really is with this car. I bought this car off of e-bay about 5 or 6 months ago, with the same VIN and listed as an 86 GN. I wish someone would have e-mail me when I had the high bid. E-bay tricked me into thinking I was buying a "Carfax" report, but it was actually an "Autocheck" report. It shows nothing wrong. It did not have the mileage on it either, but it said that there were no problems found with regard to mileage, I still have the report. I should have known that the mileage and everything else about the car, was too good to be true.

Anyway, I saw that someone had mentioned that there might be a hidden VIN, where might the hidden VIN be hidden?

I really need to sell this car, I have no use for it .It just sits in the garage literally collecting dust, since I bought the other one. I would really like to figure this out and get this car back on the market. I realize that I am not even close to being knowledgeable enough to do it by myself. I guess that was my indirect way of asking for help. (I have issues).

Amber, the thing about the car is, most people interested in a GN will check it out completely. I don't know which dealer you went to, but the advice you said you received should have been glaringly obvious to the people that ran it. I feel sorry if you were taken advantage of, but with you now knowing the FACTS, it would be legally and morally wrong to not advise the future owner of the situation with it. You might be suprised at what you can get for a knock off. The way the car is now, if wouldn't even be able to be licensed in California. The members of this board are so into GN's that they do keep a watch for such things and do report them just to keep this very thing from happening. None of this was in any way done to harm you, rather it was done to protect someone that was buying it. Mark

Amber says she lives in the Southeast. Can someone please contact her and check this car out? Maybe we can return a long lost GN with it's owner!!

gn1220 - Great idea....
How bout it amber? If you Really want some help figuring this out, there's probably a few in your area who'll help.

Amber,

I had mentioned this car is very likely a tag job... If some others here can maybe help with some hidden VIN locations maybe you can find the original VIN number for the car. Then if my carfax account is still active I'll run it, or someone else here can (theres always someone with an active one). Basically you car is probably stolen and had its VIN plate switched with a car someone legitimately owned. As for what to do now... I dont know, lets find that original VIN number first and then go from there.

You're asking Amber to cooperate on a total loss for her. She'll get nothing if the owner is located. If it were my car, I'd offer her $ for her troubles.
In fact, if anyone locates MY stolen 1980 turbo Regal, I'll give them $1,000 to get it BACK! no questions asked. :)

Amber's in a bad situation. If the car was stolen and the original owner is located she's out ALL of her money. That'd be the "right" thing to do but I don't think that's realistic. Besides, the insurance company is the "owner" now. I'm sure the former individual owner was compensated long ago for the loss. I got paid when my '86 was stolen but I still would like to get it back! Or at least see the sh#tbag that stole it get arrested.

I suggested to her that she back up and try to pursue it from the person who ripped her off. It's only been 6 months. The car was surely misrepresented then as well. If you misrepresent something, even unknowingly, and won't refund or compensate for the difference in value, then it's fraud. Plain and simple.

Good luck, Amber. Sorry we didn't catch it when you bought it but it must not have had as much info included in that auction as you did in yours. The pictures of the engine were a huge red flag.

im thinking finding the original vin would be good enough proof for her to prove its stolen... then she can go back to the previous seller and bust him for selling stolen property. Even worse for him if he sold it out of state to her!

No offense, but there are a couple "Tag Jobs" going on right now with the help of this board. Who is to say, that the interior and drivetrain and whatever else, didn't come out of a wrecked car and transplanted into a 5.0 limited? You guys are jumping the gun by saying that anything illegal took place when that car was put together. I do agree that it should be represented and sold for what it really is (an '86 Regal Limited 5.0 with a hotair engine) and at least one or more previous owner/s didn't do that, but what says that it was ever stolen?

Originally posted by 1badTTA
No offense, but there are a couple "Tag Jobs" going on right now with the help of this board. Who is to say, that the interior and drivetrain and whatever else, didn't come out of a wrecked car and transplanted into a 5.0 limited? You guys are jumping the gun by saying that anything illegal took place when that car was put together. I do agree that it should be represented and sold for what it really is (an '86 Regal Limited 5.0 with a hotair engine) and at least one or more previous owner/s didn't do that, but what says that it was ever stolen?

Because honestly look at the condition of the car, there is MUCH more likelyhood that someone switched the VIN tags than went to the trouble of swapping an ENTIRE 84-85 Setup (why bother!) into an 86 car... I mean come on think logically for a second... BESIDES the fact that GNs are tagged VERY VERY often, thats probably the #1 thing to do to them, cause its really easy and many dont question it.

Hmm lets see what else, the mileage rollback on the carfax matches it too... So IMO its VERY LIKELY a tag job, and thats illegal.