beware of this ebay auction

Originally posted by Rogue Leader
Because honestly look at the condition of the car, there is MUCH more likelyhood that someone switched the VIN tags than went to the trouble of swapping an ENTIRE 84-85 Setup (why bother!) into an 86 car... I mean come on think logically for a second... BESIDES the fact that GNs are tagged VERY VERY often, thats probably the #1 thing to do to them, cause its really easy and many dont question it.

Hmm lets see what else, the mileage rollback on the carfax matches it too... So IMO its VERY LIKELY a tag job, and thats illegal.
I agree totaly with Roque Leader. I'm the head mechanic for a local police Dept. ( 30 yrs) Many time we have called in the county or state police to check out a possible stolen car or one that the vin has been changed. They throw it up on the lift and find vin # on the car were you would never know that there were there.
She should go to her local police and report that she thinks that she was sold and stolen or altered car. And have them check it out . But if it's stolen she will be out any money she spent on it. If its altered and some how legal she might be able to go after the seller.

JFH

Mystery solved

After almost a year, the mystery has been solved. With much help from SrBenelli, I was still unable to find any hidden VIN's on my own. I really needed a lift and a lot of degreaser to be able to find this stuff. So, I brought it to my local Sheriffs Department. He was able to find a VIN on the motor, the tranny, and the frame that all matched each other. This was not the same VIN that is in the dash and trunk. Here is the deal, car was stolen in 1994 from Ashville NC. He was able to track all the previous owners, except the one it was stolen from. Since it is no longer in the system as stolen and it was never flagged as recovered, I will be issued a title with the correct VIN and the plate will be re-stamped with the original number. The car is a 1985 Buick GN and after I get all this mess finalized in the next few weeks, I will put it back on E-bay.:)
Thanks to all that offered their help.

Jeezz what a SMALL world Amber..
Im ghave been fowwing this thread and finally checked your profile and website. :)
I was born in NE Philly and grew up in Bucks county too! I reconized that waterfront pic in Bristol:) Scary.. pretty cool seeing MY area in your webpage:) Hope everything works out ok!
Im guessing you want to Bristol boro HS or Pennsbury?? Delhaas was gone by the time you were in HS..
PS- there a LOT of GN's in this area:)

Holy resurected thread batman!

Glad it worked out ok! Good luck!

Checked out your webpage too youre a cutie ;)

Sometimes time doesn't change a thing. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-Regal...ce674700c&item=261564428300&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Vin #1G4GM47Y6GP212419. I noticed right away it was a 85 GN and the vin was wrong. I thought this was all going to be taken care of with a vin re-stamp from what I've just read here. The thing is I swear this exact same car was up for auction about 2 years ago and I e-mailed the seller about a possible stolen car and the listing was removed two days later.

I just sent the guy a heads up. Let's see what he comes back with... Lol

Hello,
I just want to inform you that the vin# of this car reflects an 1985 Buick Grand National, NOT an 1986-1987 Buick Grand National. Also, numerous other descriptions of the car from the photo's alone are not consistent of this car being an 1986 Buick Grand National. Did this car receive a Vin re-stamp?

Actually the Vin #1G4GM47Y6GP212419 is for a 1986 Buick Limited with a 5.0 V-8. The M in the 5th digit would be a Regal Limited and the Y in the 8th digit is a 5.0 (307) V-8 4barrel

The description on it and the photos were a bit of a redflag in itself to those that know what the differences are amongst the years of the hotair and intercooled versions of our TR's.
Someone went to alot of trouble altering the exterior to look like a different car.
Curious how they acquired the car and why they listed it under $5000. Also odd why they'd say they believe it's real or someone went to a lot of trouble to make it appear that way.
It looks like someone swapped a 307 out and dropped in a hotair gn motor out of a gn that either got wrecked or the body was rusted out. They didnt even bother to remove the v8 fan shroud, which made no sense if they were going to all that trouble to make a clone that they'd overlook that detail.
They'd be wise to list it as a hot air clone. As that's what it is, hope it wasn't a stolen car that got parted out into a clone project.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
I just sent the guy a heads up. Let's see what he comes back with... Lol

Hello,
I just want to inform you that the vin# of this car reflects an 1985 Buick Grand National, NOT an 1986-1987 Buick Grand National. Also, numerous other descriptions of the car from the photo's alone are not consistent of this car being an 1986 Buick Grand National. Did this car receive a Vin re-stamp?

So did I!
He came back, asked what I was saying, and announced he was an "honest guy", and the car checked out at the DMV.
I told him to read the thread. [I had included it in the Ebay email].

If they're such an honest guy, then why didn't they bother to check into what makes a real 84-87 grand national and just because the dmv supposedly said the car checked out doesn't mean it's really a gn. You can use google to find info on gn's and t's all day long yet that dude on ebay selling the car can't figure out that the car is a clone & not a real deal. Something ain't right with that picture. They were hoping to make some money off their mistake of getting a car that isn't what it is being passed off as and got caught by some of us that know our TR's. Ebay and such definitely are seriously buyer beware, seems like there's more people these days trying to pass off stuff as something it isnt for a few bucks extra in their pockets.
What happened to being honest and doing the right things instead of cheating people out of something.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I informed the seller what he had (in my opinion). He has revised his description of the car:

1986 Buick Grand National interior is clean, paint is ok for the year there are spots that are chipping but body seems straight,Bottom end of motor is rebuilt so motor should have plenty of life on it.It has a sunroof but it is not working for the most part everything is all stock.I took a lot of pictures so they can do the talking if you have a question feel free to ask,I'm pretty sure by the badges in and out of the interior and the speedometer that this is the real McCoy if not someone spent a lot of money to make it look as it does.
On Aug-18-14 at 12:17:00 PDT, seller added the following information:
1986 Buick Grand National interior is clean, paint is ok for the year there are spots that are chipping but body seems straight,Bottom end of motor is rebuilt so motor should have plenty of life on it.It has a sunroof but it is not working for the most part everything is all stock.I took a lot of pictures so they can do the talking if you have a question feel free to ask,I'm pretty sure by the badges in and out of the interior and the speedometer that this is the real Grand National if not someone spent a lot of money and time to make it look as it does becuase it looks nice happy bidding

If it was mine I guess I would also add that I'm in denial.

For what its worth I spent about 3 hours googling what I could on how to spot a fake and came up with very little other than the trunk lid tip.....I even searched this website and the plural version and couldn't find much. I have not paid for the car yet (have 48 hours for the first $500 of which I am about 9 hours into).

The sellers reputation on ebay seemed solid and as much as I didn't want to bid on it before I saw it I just couldn't get there in time....I would not have bought an 85 even if real.....only targeted 86 because of the lower production number than 87....

Feeling pretty stupid so any advice would be appreciated

Thanks