Big Block turbo headers

Dusty,

What would you have done with primary tube size if you were shooting for about half that amount of HP?? I am looking for a set of headers that will support around 800-1000 HP. Conventional head BB in a g-body chassis. I see that JEGS has two sets of Stainless Works headers for turbo BBC, no idea if they would fit or not. They have 2 1/4" primaries.

Thanks,
Joe

Dusty,

What would you have done with primary tube size if you were shooting for about half that amount of HP?? I am looking for a set of headers that will support around 800-1000 HP. Conventional head BB in a g-body chassis. I see that JEGS has two sets of Stainless Works headers for turbo BBC, no idea if they would fit or not. They have 2 1/4" primaries.

Thanks,
Joe

I think Stainless works has a turbo header with 1 7/8 primaries and that would be big enough. But, I usually measure the exhaust port and get the primary size just a little larger so it don't restrict the flow out of the head.

So it will depend on what head your using. I don't see you needing anything near 2 1/4" unless you've got some really serious ported head.

I think Stainless works has a turbo header with 1 7/8 primaries and that would be big enough. But, I usually measure the exhaust port and get the primary size just a little larger so it don't restrict the flow out of the head.

So it will depend on what head your using. I don't see you needing anything near 2 1/4" unless you've got some really serious ported head.

Yup... looks like a nice header to work with...
Beats the heck out of fabbing a set from scratch. :D

http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/product_info.php?cPath=520&products_id=1758

Hey Dusty quick question for you. Twin turbo small block chevy. what should be the cranking fuel pressure. I'm seeing around 27 psi and think its to low. Just curious to what you think. And that big block looks sick.:biggrin:

Thanks,
Steve Pitts

Hey Dusty quick question for you. Twin turbo small block chevy. what should be the cranking fuel pressure. I'm seeing around 27 psi and think its to low. Just curious to what you think. And that big block looks sick.:biggrin:

Thanks,
Steve Pitts

I'm assuming this is fuel injected. They should always be around 43-45psi. It can be slightly lower depending on how much vacuum your engine is pulling during cranking. Set it at 43-45 with the fuel pump running and it should be fine. If it's dropping alot during cranking something must really be slowing the fuel pump down while cranking.

I will have to give them a call about this, as the smallest primaries I can find are the 2.25 inch for the big block chevy. They have both upswept and downswept, I am looking for downswept headers for sure.

Thanks,
Joe

Yea, give them a call. The early upswept that I saw listed were 1 7/8 primary.

Just from experience though. Your likely only going to find upswept. There would be no way to build a generic downswept header. It would have to be a custom set for a certain head pattern. If the ports are raised or lowered any at all, it can throw everything off. They are working on some for the f-bodies but I haven't heard of any downswept for G-bodies. It's a super tight fit on these 2 1/8 primaries.

Dusty let me know when your going to fire that thing up so I can get my kids in the house. I would hate for them to get sucked up in the turbo!

I've had these pics for a while, just never posted them. Since this is back near the top I'll put them up.

I've been on the twin turbo V6 project for a while so this has been put off. But I'm looking to run it next month so it should start coming together quickly next month.

I pick the motor up from the machine shop Thursday.

Attachments

• merge.jpg
    merge.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 280
  • crossover1.jpg
    crossover1.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 285
  • crossover2.jpg
    crossover2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 291
  • crossover.jpg
    crossover.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 292
  • downpipe.jpg
    downpipe.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 294
Here's the project that's delayed my own car.

Had to modify an old ATR twin turbo kit to fit these 6765 billet H-cover turbos. Mounting a PT3000 cooler where the pass seat used to be. The cooler will be used with a larger bullet that is currently being built;)

Attachments

• twin67.jpg
    twin67.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 284
  • twin671.jpg
    twin671.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 285
  • twincooler.jpg
    twincooler.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 277