You can type here any text you want

Brake Upgrade for 2003 Park Ave Ultra

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

firemann

I have a 2003 Ultra (supercharged 3800). The car shuddered when I applied the barkes. I didn't think I was going to keep the car so I just had CarX do a brake job on it. Six months later the same problem is back - and I still want to keep the beast! Who can recommend some darn good brakes that won't warp and shudder? And, for the that matter, if I really do keep this car, then who is the best Buick mechanic in the northern suburbs of Chicago to work on it for me?
Thanks,
Bill E

I worked with a guy who put ls1 brakes on the front of his FWD supercharged regal. And used the stock wheels. He said they were a bolt on. I never got any more details since I did not have one. Hope this helps.

you don't need a "Buick mechanic" to work on a late model GM car- any competent mechanic who knows that an impact wrench isn't a good substitute for a properly calibrated and set torque wrench will do.
and don't buy cheap Chinese rotors and expect them not to warp- get the oem AC Delco rotors, properly torque the lug nuts, properly break them in, and call it good.
the brakes on those cars are over engineered for the application- which is a good thing- and as long as you use good parts, they last a long, long time.

Appreciate your counsel, guys. You're right, the original brakes did last a long time. The 2 sets on there since then have not lasted well at all. I'm about ready to put crygenic rotors and ceramic pads on there so I can stop the shaking!

the most expensive and fancy rotors won't stop the shakes and vibes if you don't torque the wheel properly and break the rotors in.
if you just zip them on with an impact wrench then go off and pretend it's an F1 car on the Indy roadcoarse, then the rotors will warp and cause shaking in a very short time.
but, on the other hand, don't buy the $35 imported rotors that they have in stock at the local Autozone, either. get either oem GM or AC Delco rotors (they should be the same part, but the Delcos will cost about half as much) and pads and do it right and do it once.

Replace the rotors and see if that helps. It's a big No-No to turn rotors on cars today.

Back