You can type here any text you want

Champion Ported Polished Are They Really The Best Iron Head ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

wickedtt

As far as the ported and polished IRON heads go are the Champion's really the best or is their better , looking for opinions!!!

Champion does a nice job on their heads. Are they the BEST? No ones heads are the BEST! There are so many things that can improve a heads capabilities, but at what cost. To answer your question, I can only say that most good head porters will achieve nearly the same results on the car. Flow numbers are VERY deceptive on a turbochrged engine. I have found alot of power on the track with NO gain on the flow bench. Buy a set from a reputable porting shop and you will be fine. (Champion is certainly one of them) If you systematically and scientifically swapped heads from 5 different qualified porters, you would be hard pressed to quantify any measurable gains.

No I wouldn't say they are the best. Heads can be set up for street use, track only use, etc.... Then it is how much do want to put in it? I feel very comfortable saying I got one of the baddest set of Iron heads on the planet but it was ALOT more than champions would have been.... Could have gone even more into if we wanted too. You can go as crazy as you want on heads!

The Champion irons have been the fastest on a stock block, they are CNC ported which means the flow #'s will be consistent, and last but not least I'd say if you ever decide to sell them the Champion ported irons will hold their value better than a set done by Billy Bob's head porter down the street. Just my $.07 worth;)

Thats true. Champion is so reputible that there is no question on perfromance and being done right

The Champion irons have been the fastest on a stock block, they are CNC ported which means the flow #'s will be consistent, and last but not least I'd say if you ever decide to sell them the Champion ported irons will hold their value better than a set done by Billy Bob's head porter down the street. Just my $.07 worth;)

Ditto. I am sure other can make better heads, but the Champions are consistently good and have good resale.

dammmm.. I got a set from Joe Dan Joe's racing :p they work great !!! :biggrin:
"turbofabricator" has summed it up pretty good :cool:

I think Champion heads are awesome but that being said they are CNC ported therefore it will be consistent as far as the port work from one chamber to other. However, if a head porter that knows what he is doing, then he will be able to hand port a set of heads better than CNC ported head by being able to get into the areas and remove meat that the CNC may not be able to get to.

If you are looking sell then down the line, it will be much easier if they were Champion. You can always top dollars for it.

Just my $.02

Prasad

A 5 axis CNC can get anywhere a hand tool can. They spend alot of time perfecting the intake port, combustion chamber and exhaust port for 1 cylinder by hand. Then they use a touch probe (usually) and have it run around and map the area and record it. Then they dump it into a PC and use VERY expensive CAM software to generate several programs around it. Some CAM programs can generate the program with a click of the mouse, (newer edgecam) while others are alot more time intensive, but you have alot more control over what the program does and how it does it, like Surfcam, which is what I prefer. Unfortunately the most popular CAM program out there is mastercam, which is CRAP. Its all DOS based, old technology and is a nightmare to figure out. Theres Gibbs, bobcad....lots of different ones. But no matter what the software and program, its usually a little hard to blend the short side radius to the valve bowl, so thats usually cleaned up by hand. I have mastercam, edgecam and surfcam...I just need a mill of my own and Id like to start CNC porting heads and intakes myself at home. Unfortunately a 5 axis CNC is no joke when it comes to cost. A worn out old Fadal 3 axis CNC from the 80's can cost you 20k out the door and a 5 axis is well over 100,000 with alot of miles on it. A 3 axis can do the work, but it takes adjustable swinging fixtures and 3 to 4 times the number of programs to port a set of heads...alot of setup and re-finding the origin, and hopefully the old origin matches the new one or you'll end up with a bunch of seams where different toolpaths from different programs overlap. Anyway, the idea that a hand porter can make a better set of heads isnt really true. It takes alot of knowledge and skill to make that one perfect set of ports and chamber, but you cant repeat it by hand with the accuracy of a CNC. You can make templates like Ive done and use inside calipers and do alot of tricks, but they wont match shape from port to port. You can use a flow bench and keep working until the ports match up ok in terms of flow, but the shape wont be consistent.

Hey 86 Brick what would that number be out of the Champions as far as time.
I know Walt Judy just went a 9.58 in TSM trim this weekend.
See ya, Kip

I am a champion user. I ran iron heads and now have gone to the gn1 heads. I can't say they are the best, but I know when I call Tom that he will make me happy when I hang up, NO MATTER WHAT!!!! Customer service means more to me than saving a buck or two. Or even getting a slightly better flowing head. Plus I have never heard of anyone saying that a champion head has performed badly. He has been there for us and that means alot to me.

CNC ported heads are ONLY as good as the master. They will NOT flow better than a purpose ported head for the particular application that they will be used on. And AGAIN.......a flow bench does NOT tell te FULL story. The race car tell the REAL story. Use a flow bench, an engine dyno and a chassis dyno and THEN find out if the modification REALLY helped the car at the track. Again, a flow bench is just a tool, just like a screw driver,(though ALOT more money) In the right hands it works wonders.........in the wrong hands........ it is a very loud vacuum cleaner. Flow benches SUCK!!!!!:biggrin:

Thanks guys for the good info, I'm just trying to get the most for my money in purchasing a set of Ported heads.;)

Hey 86 Brick what would that number be out of the Champions as far as time.
I know Walt Judy just went a 9.58 in TSM trim this weekend.
See ya, Kip

Well I can tell you Roy Garcia has been 9.64 @142mph (remember I said FASTEST) in TSM competition, but the kicker is he ran a 6.06 @114.53mph in the 1/8 mile at a local 1/8 mile track which would equate to a low 9.50 high 9.40 at around 143-144mph in the 1/4.. You said Walt ran a 9.58, what was his MPH on that pass???;)

more than one way to skin a cat..

dammmm.. I got a set from Joe Dan Joe's racing :p they work great !!! :biggrin:
"turbofabricator" has summed it up pretty good :cool:

I'm sure they do Dan, my brother has a set like that and they flow similar #'s to the Champions... I'd still personally rather have the Champions though:smile: :cool:

there are alot of vendors on this board that port heads and are damn good at it.

Back