Cracked piston on high mileage stock bottom end

bison

Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Ran 10.29@133.4mph at 28.5 psi. Was running it at 32-33psi for about 3 months before this happened. Head Gaskets are .040 RJC steel and there is absolutely no sign of the heads ever lifting. Cracked parallel to the wrist pin.

Attachments

• pictures 1 258.jpg
    pictures 1 258.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,227
How many miles on it outta curiosity

149-150k. It was stock till about 143k. I beat the balls off it for the last 2 years and only paid $550 for it. It was over 600hp the whole time i had it. I can only speculate on what caused it. I had a power plate on it and heard from others it may be lean on #1 with the plate installed using alky. I ran at least 110 octane and methanol the whole time.

149-150k. It was stock till about 143k. I beat the balls off it for the last 2 years and only paid $550 for it. It was over 600hp the whole time i had it. I can only speculate on what caused it. I had a power plate on it and heard from others it may be lean on #1 with the plate installed using alky. I ran at least 110 octane and methanol the whole time.

You got your moneys worth out of that one....:biggrin:

just weld up the piston and turn the boost back up. lol

Lol. I want to have the block magged to see if its cracked in the mains. Ill pull the pan off and check the condition of the bearings soon.

wow that goes to show the stock stuff will hold up real well with a good tune
lol

I'm impressed ol' bessy held up that long!! That's really incredible considering the 143k miles that were on the motor. :cool:

Seen cracked pistons from high RPM's. How high were you spinning it? Interested as I'm a stock bottom end guy myself. ;)

I'd love to see the underside of the piston to see what it looks like and see where the crack starts. Last one I saw had stress cracks where the wrist pin goes in the piston from what appeared to be over revving a stock unbalanced engine with heavy pistons. You my friend made our crack look mighty wimpy by comparison. :eek:

Considering the duty cycle that little bugger ran.. I would consider it a "soft" failure. ;)

How did this happen, on the street, track? Did it go into detonation for some reason?